So much talk about cleaning calories...

Options
So get creative!:) I dont log cleaning calories often however I am not against it.

Today it is snowing out. I wanted to stay in but needed cardio. I did 20 minutes of Zumba for Wii but wanted to switch it up. I noticed my house was a little messy, just odd things laying around. I still wanted time to shower and have tea before picking the kids up.

I recently bought myself a Polar HRM. I hit start, plugged in my ipod and started jogging on the spot. After a few minutes I moved into the kitchen and started to clean. Once I noticed that my heart rate had come down some I would jog again. Needed to do some laundry so I went downstairs, decided to do a few sets of stairs so I did. Folded my laundry and half way through my heart rate came down again, back to jogging it was. I then began to dance all around the house tidying different things, when my heart rate would come down I moved more.

I guess what I am saying is, if you get yourself moving and you know you are working up a sweat, log away! Whether it's cleaning or not find a way to move more everyday:) I actually truly enjoyed the 25 minutes and 197 calories I burned was such a bonus. I may have looked like an absolute idiot but I don't care.

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Love this! :smile:

Activity is all about moving and getting your heart rate up.... Whether is a Zumba class at the gym or running around the house while cleaning. As the Nike slogan says, "Just Do It!"
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Even tapping your feet when sitting down helps.

Keep any part of your body moving (more than normal) and it burns more calories.

Who cares what others think ? We're all getting healthier :smile:
  • roadworthy
    Options
    Exactly:)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight loss journey is such a personal thing. I do what works for me and I don't care what others do - if it works for them. It annoys me when people are so worried about what someone else is doing that they'll tell them they're "wrong" for doing or not doing something.

If you have heart rate up, that's what counts. Who cares if you're getting your heart rate up at home, doing laundry or at the gym on the treadmill?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning calories on days where I do heavy duty stuff. For instance, I am a part time house keeper, so every week, in one day!, I clean there houses for a total of about 7 hours. I usually log only about two hours of that, just to make sure I'm eating enough. Otherwise, my regular cleaning of my own apartment, I don't count that. That's normal day to day stuff.