Increasing running speed

Hopefully some of you runners can help me out! I have been running for about 7 months now- I started with the c25k program and I am up to running 8 miles, without any walking. I run once a week because I get bad shin splints and over the last few weeks I have been adding an additional mile as I run- reaching 8 miles this week. I run on the treadmill starting at speed4 and ending running at a 5.8 speed. I have proven to myself that I can run distance and will keep working on that but now I'd like to work on increasing my speed. Any tips? Any and all will help!

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    I'm still working on increasing my speed as well, but what I do is run intervals at a higher pace. For instance, I'll up it to say 6.0 and run for a minute and then go back down to my regular pace and repeat. Then the next time I'll up it some more. I run on a treadmill that has a speed interval setting so it's a bit easier to do.

As for the shin splints, have you tried a different pair of running shoes or getting fitted?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Hills and incline can train you to go faster. And intervals, either timed or random like fartlek training. Last fall, I tried going through C25K again doing the running intervals as fast as I could stand it, but I ended up with a stress fracture and had to stop. Me and treadmills... we don't like each other very much.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Definitely intervals, hills/incline, and strength training.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    From what I understand, intervals.

Also, there is a program out there called "Fastest 5K", by Running Mate Fitness (who does a C25K program and 10K program, both of which I really like), designed to help with speed.

Check out http://runningmatemedia.com/2010/12/07/30-days-to-your-fastest-5k/
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    More miles, more miles, more miles.

Get of the dreadmill and hit the pavement or trails (if possible)

Try some fartleks and/or intervals. Also remember, that not every run will be fast one.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    I run 3 - 4 times a week and only do 1 long run 8ish miles. The other days are easy 4ish mile runs and when I know I'm not running a longer distance I'm able to play around w intervals either on the treadmill or out in the world.

Did I read your op correctly, you're only running 1 day a week and it's an 8 miler? Maybe running a few times a week and only doing 3 miles per run, in good shoes, will help your shin splints and speed.

Good luck.
  • Runningfreely
    Runningfreely Posts: 5 Member
    Yeah only 1 day a week- I was fitted for proper shoes at a great store and even if I do short runs, it takes so long for my legs to recover. Sometimes I think I don't stretch properly or enough or maybe I have terrible running form.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    You really need to run at least three times a week to see continued improvement. The reason is because of the way the body supercompensates when recovering from exercise stress. If the interval between repeated bouts of exercise are too far apart the body initially recovers and gets stronger from the first exercise but by the time the exercise is repeated the increased fitness declines back to the original baseline. In simpler terms, by not running frequently enough you will reach a permanent plateau.

You might be able to address the shin splints by adjusting your running form. Google "Good Form Running.". Running with good form will reduce the impact forces on your shins and knees.