lifting and protein question...

Options
MFP has me set at a goal of 81g of protein a day...I started lifting weights a month ago. I still have 40lbs I want to lose. Is that enough protein, or should I up that?

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight then you probably will build very little muscle lifting. In most cases you have to eat a surplus of calories to gain significant muscle. Protein intake while trying to lose weight will mostly help to keep you from losing muscle, as will the weight training. General recommendations for protein intake vary quite a bit but most of what I've read says that between .6 - 1 gram per pound of body weght is a good target. It's funny though, some "experts" believe in much lower protein levels. The CDC for instance recommends that women between 19 and 70 get around 50g daily. Women in general need less protein than men. *ograms per day doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Here's a link to a forum post on Bodybuilding.com that was authored by a woman who really knows her stuff. It gives specific information on recommended amounts of protein, carb, and fat intakes. It is a bodybuilding web site but there's alot of general fitness and athlete training info as well. I learned alot there. Hope this helps.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info