I'm confused about how to tack my weight loss.

Options
I just started on this site 2 days ago tracking calories because I want to lose 10lbs. I am confused as to tell how if I've actually lost weight. For example when I started this process I weighed myself and I was 119.4 then today I weighed myself when I first woke up, right after I went to the bathroom and before I had anything to eat and I was 116.6. Then later on in the day I weighed myself and I was 119 (All I'd had to eat at that point was a light lunch 5 hrs earlier and a bottle of water). I understand that your weight can fluctuate during the day, but I am only looking to lose 10lbs so that fluctuation makes a big difference in my progress. And I also understand that you shouldn't weigh yourself that much and that you should weigh yourself at the same time each day. I guess I'm asking how can I track my progress if my weight is all over the place and one day the scale is saying I lost 5lbs and the next I'm back up to my starting weight. Thanks!

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I would suggest only weighing yourself ONCE A WEEK. Such things like water retention, constipation, etc. etc. can cause your weight fluctuations so if you wait a week before weighing you'll have an accurate idea if you truly lost a lb or not.

Try not to weigh yourself multiple times during the day. The differing numbers will just cause confusion and frustration.

For example. One day I was 192, the next 197!!!! The day after 194. If I had taken that 197 to heart I would be devastated but I didn't log any of these numbers. I waited patiently for the end of the week when the scale thankfully reported that I'd lost a lb. :)
  • wenwen65
    Options
    You are obsessing!! Stick to the same routine of morning wiegh-in and go on with your day. Everyones weight flucuates all day long. You may not be eating enough and your body is holdng onto the extra pounds because it doesn't know when you will feed it again. Stick with this for at least a week and see what happens.