Kale Chips

Options
How do you store kale chips?? Usually I eat them all once I make them, but I'm making them for some people next week at work, and they will not be eaten for a while. Do they stay crunchy and crisp in a bag?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect them to stay for more than a couple of days. Can you make them right before giving them to the people at work?
  • SCentanni
    SCentanni Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, so it would have to be right in the AM, or the night before (preferably). They will be eating them after school. I just want them to have their crunch factor.
  • brittvas55
    brittvas55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do you make kale chips?
  • Mine were crunchy for a couple of days stored in a tupperware container. Just make sure they're cool before you put them in. Heat in a closed container creates condensation which makes them soggy.
  • SCentanni
    Options
    K, thanks for the tip!
  • SCentanni
    Options
    you make kale chips by taking the kale off of its stems and massaging olive oil onto it. Then, sprinkle w/ some season salt or your fav seasonings and put in the oven for a little bit until they crunch up... keep an eye on them though, they crisp quickly! (AKA- will burn if you don't watch them. )
  • If you really want to add some nice flavor, you can massage some coconut oil into them...it's what I used. I baked mine at 400 for 15 minutes.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i haven't had luck keeping them more than a day. i would suggest maybe leaving them out overnight and then put them in the container in the morning right before you leave.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you really want to add some nice flavor, you can massage some coconut oil into them...it's what I used. I baked mine at 400 for 15 minutes.

Sounds DELICIOUS!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've left them in a bowl on the kitchen counter, uncovered, for a couple of days. I agree, letting them cool totally, maybe even overnight, before bagging them.
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only way to keep them for any length of time is to get some Nori or those little seaweed snacks and save the silica gel packets from them. Toss them in a tupperware with your kale. And bake the chips a little longer than you normally would. Then they'll stay crispy for several days.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you under cook them, they won't stay crisp longer than a day because they'll retain too much moisture. With that being said, they can be refreshed in the oven quite quickly. The longest I've stored mine has been one week in Tupperware, but that's only because they were eaten by the end of the week.

I usually take 2 level teaspoons of olive oil for the massive bunch of kale, squeeze some lemon on it, sprinkle some garlic powder & Vogel spicy sea salt onto it, massage it into the kale & then bake it @ 350 for 10-15mins.

And now I know what I'm snacking on tonight. Thanks! :)