I know this is gross...

Options
I have been dieting and keeping my calories at about 1200 - and I eat back my exercise calories. I get plenty of fiber thru fruits, veggies, etc. I've set my settings so I can see my fiber and I quite easily exceed MFP's daily recommendation. I am exercising daily and I drink close to a gallon of water a day - so I know those aren't the issue.

So why am I not pooping and could this account for the scale not moving? Should I be concerned or is it just the lower caloric intake slowing things down? I don't feel bloated or constipated. So should I do something about it? Or just let nature take its course? Would appreciate input if you've had this issue.

BTW - I have never had constipation issues, in fact, quite the opposite. So this is new to me.

Replies

• tfrederick79
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through. I think it has large part to do with the lower caloric intake, and I bet once your body adjusts you will get back on track with regular stools.
  • 44nFab
    44nFab Posts: 19
    Options
    I couldn't see your food diary, but am wondering what types of grain-based carbs you at consuming. I believe whole grains will help maintain normal bowel movements of about one per day. Processed could contribute to constipation.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    To help get things moving, while you are adjusting, try adding some magnesium. It just helps get your colon get moving. Not painful, not anything like a laxative. Just a bit though! It can be quite potent!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    maybe you are taking in too much iron which can block you up.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    MFP's setting for fibre is quite low. The recommended amount is 28 grams or more a day if I recall correctly. I often run closer to 30 or 35.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i do take magnesium as part of my calcium plus d supplement. as far as whole grains, i rarely eat bread, but when i do, it is the brownberry multigrain - super hearty stuff. also eat nuts, apples, greens. occasionally have some steel cut oats. mini cliff bar if i'm on the run. lots of veggies.
  • scythe20
    Options
    I highly recomment prunes or if you prefer, prune juice. They're pretty effective and it's an easy, inexpensive alternative.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When you eat less, you poop less. It happened to me! lol I'd say as long as you aren't having pain from being constipated, don't worry about it. If it is bothering you, add more fiber from food and/or supplements and if that doesn't work consult your Dr.. Good luck!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Lib, if you're not actually feeling blocked up I wouldn't worry about it. I *would* try to get 1 serving of whole grains per day if you're not already doing that. If you are, don't fret. If you do, start to feel backed up, that's different. Until then, don't fret.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    and i should say, my not eating much bread is not because i'm doing low carb. i just generally don't care for it.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    i do take magnesium as part of my calcium plus d supplement. as far as whole grains, i rarely eat bread, but when i do, it is the brownberry multigrain - super hearty stuff. also eat nuts, apples, greens. occasionally have some steel cut oats. mini cliff bar if i'm on the run. lots of veggies.

Take more magnesium! Just a little bit. When I'm stopped up, not constipated but nothing moving, I just take an extra (I already take some every day). Moving within 24 hours!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I had the SAME PROBLEM.

The protein just backs me right the hell up. I think I went about a week before I decided it was time to do something. ( And I eat a TON of fiber most of the time!!! )

I took 1 capful of Miralax every day in my afternoon coffee and upped my water to epic proportions. Miralax causes water to be drawn into your bowels, and it will not work without enough water. I drank well over 100 ounces, and a few times over 200 ounces. It took a week for me, since my digestion is ridiculously slow.

I dropped 4 pounds in 3 days :D
  • ChubbyCrystol
    Options
    COULD YOUR SODIUM LEVELS BE LOW? DRINK LOTS OF WATER. YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT EATING THOSE OLD SLIPPERY FATS YOU USED TO EAT SO YOUR BODY HAS TO WORK HARDER. WATCH YOUR VITAMINS IF YOU ARE TAKING MORE THAN ONE KIND OF SUPPLEMENT THAT COULD BE CONTRIBUTING TO YOUR IRREGULARITY.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If I don't poop for 2 days I drink a senna tea it gets things moving.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am just glad to know that I am not the only one noticing this change. I have been "regular" for as long as I can remember. Same time every morning...and now I go 3 days or so without anything. It isn't really an issue, but just something I am not used to. But then I was eating a lot of junk in the past that I am not eating now.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. will definitely be giving a few a try!!! :blushing:
  • jennylsapia
    jennylsapia Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that someone posted this because I was contemplating posting because I haven't "gone" in over 3 days and I am starting to feel it. I figured it was because I wasn't eating as much or as greasy. I am eating a whole lot more fruit and veggies.
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much your fiber increased per day, mine took a dramatic jump when I tried to reach 30 grams from 17 and was bloated and very gassy for a few days, but after a few days at that amount and a little gas-x all is fine now and sometimes I reach 50 grams of fiber--no problem
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of protein with very little carbs. When I did this I was backed up for days. Try more fiber and drink prune juice
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If I don't poop for 2 days I drink a senna tea it gets things moving.

Be careful with this stuff as your body can build a dependence on it.