High School Senior In Need Of Advice

Options
Goodness, my subject title makes me feel like I'm putting out an advertisement.. =)

Anyways, I am a high school senior (obviously) and I am in need of some help. When I was younger, I used to be in the best shape. I was really tall, but I was also very athletic, since I used to fence as a child and did it for about 9 years. Once I quit fencing, I really let myself go. I just stopped working out. Now I'm trying to lose weight and actually get BACK in shape, especially since I discovered that I have a slight heart problem. Is there any advice you guys can give me about getting back into the swing of things and learning to get into a system of working out again?

Replies

• GarrettGrant123
    Options
    Goodness, my subject title makes me feel like I'm putting out an advertisement.. =)

Anyways, I am a high school senior (obviously) and I am in need of some help. When I was younger, I used to be in the best shape. I was really tall, but I was also very athletic, since I used to fence as a child and did it for about 9 years. Once I quit fencing, I really let myself go. I just stopped working out. Now I'm trying to lose weight and actually get BACK in shape, especially since I discovered that I have a slight heart problem. Is there any advice you guys can give me about getting back into the swing of things and learning to get into a system of working out again?
  • doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have a slight heart issue, I wouldn't do anything without the advice of a medical professional.
  • TAYLORME
    TAYLORME Posts: 1
    Options
    My best advice is to start doing an activity you enjoy. If you still enjoy fencing then get back into it. It will be exercise you look forward to. If not fencing, try something you've always thought of doing; a sport, dance class, free weights etc. If it's a structured activity you'll have an easier time keeping active.

Best wishes to reaching your goals! :smile:
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Ask your doc if you can jump on a trampoline. A lot of heart physicians say it is so good for the heart and it is fun, too! Taking a daily walk, swimming if you can. Find things you like. Find a friend or an exercise buddy once you have permission to do stuff and do things together. Once you get back in the habit, you will forget you were a couch potato for a while! Muscle has memory so you will restore your muscle quickly!

Hope these ideas help!
    :smile:
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Honestly Consult your Doc Before you do ANYTHING. They know what their talking about. I wouldnt suggest just jumping into anything big! Just start moving take a walk. Start out slow so your heart has a chance to get strong. Remember its a mucle too. Oh did I mention ask your doctor. You want to be heathly and you need the advice of a physician. The heart is nothing to mess with!! Good luck!!
  • GarrettGrant123
    Options
    Thanks you guys so much! I actually have a doctor's appointment set up for next week, so I'll check with him to see what he says about what I should and should not do. Thanks again for the ideas!! =)
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys so much! I actually have a doctor's appointment set up for next week, so I'll check with him to see what he says about what I should and should not do. Thanks again for the ideas!! =)

check with the doctor, but my favorite thing to do is outdoor cycling! I wish that I knew I loved it when I was a senior in high school!! I would be much better at it now! It is fun and it is great exercise!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I 2nd what Bamboo says ... also agree with her that cycling is a great excercise and you have lots of fun doing it.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I make sure I walk anywhere I want to go, which isn't to strenuous, but clearly makes a difference to me.