How can I not eat when I'm bored?

Options
I eat like crazy when I'm bored. I don't know what to do to stop. Can you guys give me any tips or anything on how to stop? If I jsut stop eating when I'm bored I will slim down a whole bunch. : )

Thanks a lot guys.

Tuba Girl Kate

Replies

• TubaGirl
    TubaGirl Posts: 58
    Options
    I eat like crazy when I'm bored. I don't know what to do to stop. Can you guys give me any tips or anything on how to stop? If I jsut stop eating when I'm bored I will slim down a whole bunch. : )

Thanks a lot guys.

Tuba Girl Kate
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Read a book
    play a game online
    go for a walk
    play cards (solitaire?)
    Clean house
    declutter a junk drawer

if your bored, keeping your hands and mind busy will help.

Also, plan your meals and snacks ahead of time. This helps me ALOT! Set a timer on your cell phone or watch for when its time to eat again.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    stay busy!
    exercise
    search for recipes on the net
    come here & read inspirational posts :wink:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to eat when you're exercising, hehe.
  • mikee1216
    mikee1216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me too when I'm resting. But when I'm resting I get bored and want to snack on anything, especially while quitting smoking.

For me I picked up Oil/Acrylic painting. It's so soothing and I get into it, painting stuff with lots of detail. By the time I'm finished painting, it's bedtime for work the next day. No stress or frustration in painting.

All in all, total cost to pick up painting was $65.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    hmm.. What to do when bored... I know, do something fun! ANYTHING! Or, go ahead and snack. Just make sure you don't have any "bad" snacks around. Eat celery, or carrots, or an apple, or a banana, or...

You're in this to win it, or you're not.
  • Boopbo9
    Boopbo9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Find something to do like play a video game, work a puzzle , clean out a drawer of go walking or get on on the phone with a friend. You will find out you forget about food for a while. Also keep reminding yourself of your goals.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Paint your finger nails. Decorate them elaborately. Stripes, flowers, smilie faces.
    Allow them to dry. Remove the nail polish. Start over.

Play with Playdoh.

Knit. Crochet. You could make a HUGE blanket by the fall.

Play online games. (This can lead to sitting on your *kitten* all day which isn't a great option.)

I can suggest a million silly little things. I think what we really need to know is WHEN are you bored? Early morning? Late night? Middle of the afternoon? When do you find you have your down time?
  • TubaGirl
    Options
    Generally I get bored after I work out. I get bored when I am doing my home work. Most of it is easy and just takes forever and thats when I get bored. So around 3 'till 6. 3 hour span. I snack like crazy. I will snack on just about anything I can posibly get my hands on. : P
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My first thought was... "what's it like to be bored????" But, I know where you're coming from. I remember being in school...

First, brush your teeth before you sit down to do schoolwork. I HATE putting anything in my mouth when my teeth are nice and clean.

Chew gum... you get the sensation of chewing without taking in a bunch of calories.

Do you have access to a stationary bike? You could pedal while reading. If not - do squats or leg lifts while reading.

If none of that works then HAVE a snack... something that takes a while to eat. One of my favorites is a sliced apple with peanut butter. I take time to smear each little piece with peanut butter. String cheese is a good one too... because you can play with it while you're eating it.
  • ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    GUM! I'm a gumaholic. Try stride - it really is rediculously long lasting =]
  • TubaGirl
    Options
    Hmmmmmm. Gum is a good idea. My mom says gum isn't good for you though because it is basicly plastic with taste. LOL. :laugh:

Brushing your teeth before doing homework? Hmm. I might try that.

My mom would kill me if I did my nails over and over again. :frown: Thanks for that tip though.

And I do not have gym things in my house. But I do have a gym just down the block that I go to. And normaly there is not a lot of people there when I'm there so that is good. :happy:

I am new to this site by the way, and I am glad I joined. It's a fun way to keep track and talk to people who are doing the EXACT same thing I am trying to do. You guys are all really nice. Thanks for the tips. :flowerforyou:

Tuba Girl Kate