Thoughts On Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It is a good gym for the price. I compare it to Average Joes in Dodge Ball. There are some things that I wish it had but it gets the job done...

However, for anyone that really pushes themselves and gets dripping with sweat, you get eye balled... I hit my PR on the bench at 310 working out there and just before I did it, i asked someone for a spot and they seemed confused. Not to toot my own horn, but I feel out of place for throwing around a lot of weight... And they one that I go to boasts that they have a personal trainer on staff, but he jsut sits behind the desk, while there are people new to working out and they are lifting way to much weight with extrememly poor form .. it is what it is...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would be at this place if they were in Australia. We have similar places here (Anytime Fitness and Jett's) which are bare bones, no classes and pools and they cost about $70 a month. They ARE the cheap gyms here. I would kill for a $10 a month gym!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I loved Planet Fitness! The 30 minute circuit is great and I really liked the arc trainers. I had the black card membership and never once used the tanning booths or massage chairs. The only reason I'm not still a member is because I live too far away.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I loved Planet Fitness! The 30 minute circuit is great and I really liked the arc trainers. I had the black card membership and never once used the tanning booths or massage chairs. The only reason I'm not still a member is because I live too far away.

Yes, I really love the 30 minute express circuit as well.....but I hate the dumbass people who seem to think that room is their personal workout room. :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are meat heads at every gym... But at PF, they are in disguise
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had a few rounds of memberships there...about 3 years total, and both the regular and black card. It's a great basic gym, if you can motivate yourself to get there 4-5 times a week it's perfect. I had the black card because I traveled a lot for work, so being able to use any gym in the country was an amazing deal and worth the extra $10 a month.I like that it wasn't a muscle head gym, I could use the free weights without being intimated by massive guys in baggy wive beaters. They also offer free personal training sessions which is a HUGE plus! Overall it's a great gym, and who knows, maybe I'll join again when I move back to the US (I actually really do miss the cheap membership!)
    What I didn't like: no classes. If you're into classes, maybe spending a bit more on a different gym would be better for you.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing '30-minute circuit training'... is it like Curves?

I take a 60-minute class 3 to 5 times a week, was thinking of adding more strength training. We have a Planet Fitness opening this month within walking distance... is it worth it?
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I prefer Anytime Fitness....20 bucks a month....tanning beds and the basics :) Plus open 24 hours a day and tons of locations...you can even travel to other locations and still work out.
  • TamaraP01
    Options
    I love my planet fitness. I go a couple times a week, it's clean and the staff is friendly. I would only get the blackcard if thing like tanning or taking someone with you (for free) is important. Otherwise just go with the regular 10 a month plan.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I used to have a PF membership... but the fact is they dont have a single barbell in the place.
    after trying to work around that for about a year... i said screw it.

spent $200 on equipment and started just doing it at home. much better results, and if I let out a grunt or want to exhale loudly, I dont have to worry.

I do laugh about their new "pay diddly for squats" slogan... one of my reasons for leaving there is they dont have a barbell to do squats... nevermind the lack of a squat rack or cage.

all they have is a bunch of pretty purple machines that do less then a couple barbells and weights. Nothing for any guy that is serious.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i pay 90 a month for lifetime fitness im the wrong person to ask
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    oh, and the free pizza, free bagels, and free candy perplexes me.
    I want to just stop people and go.. hey, that hour you just spent on the treadmill? where it says you burned "300" calories... yea, standing here without moving for an hour you would have burned most of those... the ones you really burned you're now eating with those two tootsie rolls. congratulations on spinning your wheels. see you in january.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym rat for 25 years, and the one that I just joined at Christmas, is truly the cleanest and best smelling gym I've been to. I already know how to use the machines, but from what I've seen, the employees who work there take the time to show newbies. I've never seen a gym where there are truly all age groups tryin' to keep movin'. There's a man at my location whose had stroke, uses a cane and still manages to work out. So, there really are no excuses for the majority of us:GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK!
  • _Christine_
    Options
    Free pizza? Oh dear! Let me go check out their website. LOL!!
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    I also like the 30 minute circuit training. I have a blackcard membership and although I don't tan, I have been trying the redlight therapy they offer which is also included. The massage chairs are great as well! I used to be a member at Bally's and find this to be less intimidating.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah the free pizza/bagel meals never made sense to me. I was a member at PF for about a year, and it's fine if you don't require a whole lot - Maybe if you want a treadmill/elliptical and you work out on machines (I don't). They are clean enough but it's a bare bones gym. But perhaps the lack of glamour is also an upside for PF members - There really is no judgment at all. If you're heavier and trying to lose weight, or a newbie to the gym scene, you will fit right in. 80-90% of the members there are in exactly the same boat.

But why would you pay an extra $10 when you could buy a $20 membership to a better gym? I left Planet Fitness and joined both LA Boxing (for boxing/kickboxing workouts, $80/mo.) and also another gym that's a small chain in Connecticut (Edge Fitness, $26/mo.). The facilities are so much better, and they actually have great classes.

For $10 a month, if your needs are simple, PF is hard to beat. But being more serious about fitness now, Planet Fitness just doesn't do it for me anymore.

PS: Every gym I've belonged to has had a circuit training section.. It's worth it to shop around and make sure you're getting the most for your money
  • Janey215
    Janey215 Posts: 2
    Options
    It really depends on the PF you go to. If you're lucky enough to have a good one close by, then go for it! My experience with PF wasn't so good. The times I could go were the usual times (after 5pm and Saturday mornings) so the whole world and their mother were there trying to use the same equipment I wanted to use. The 30 minute circuit training is great, I loved it when I could get to do it.
  • deefaysmilin
    Options
    Love my planet fitness!!! Any north San Antonio ladies PF members?
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness! I joined last October but didn't really start going regularly until January. It is always very clean and hasn't been crowded once. I go during the day though when everyone is at work. The equipment is maintained and clean and easy to use. There aren't lots of muscle bound lunks working out either. It is just every day people, most of whom are trying to lose weight and get healthy. I didn't see any need for the black card. I don' t use tanning beds and it wasn't worth the extra money to me. My BFF ended up getting a membership too since it is so cheap. I would highly recommend them.
  • _Christine_
    Options
    I ended up joining yesterday. It doesn't open till next week but I got in on the $1 joining fee. (I'm cheap like that.) No Black Card yet. If I like it enough I'll drop Jazzercise ($33 a month) and upgrade.