Things I Never Thought Would Happen

Options
truedecember
truedecember Posts: 151 Member
I've never really written a post or anything about success thus far, but lately I have just been amazed at all the things that have happened through my journey so far. It seems like for a long time I was just waiting for the day I would magically be thin and it seemed so hard to be patient! I'm not to my goal weight yet, but I have finally realized the progress that I have made, and it's HUGE! It's not all about the final result, it's about what happens along the way, and some awesome things have happened.

So, here it goes. The things I never thought would happen:

1. I never thought I would enjoy running.
When I first started running, it was for 30 second intervals on the treadmill - and it was HARD! I hated it and only did it because I knew it was good exercise. But I kept up with it and slowly started increasing the length of time I ran for. I remember the first time I ran more than I mile, I was SO PROUD! It was something I could never do in gym class all those years! Now, I am training for a half marathon. In fact I'm almost there, it's coming up in a month! The furthest I've run is 9 miles, which is AMAZING if I stop to think about it! Sure, I'm not very fast, but running 9 miles for me is something that, if you had asked me a few years ago, I never thought I would do. Another thing I've noticed is that I don't need music to run anymore! I used to think that I would always need my iPod to keep me going, but recently I have stopped using it. Just enjoying the feeling of running and how my feet hit the ground is so awesome. I can't believe it - I'm a runner!

2. I never thought my "too tight" jeans would become my "too loose" jeans.
I kind of thought I would be stuck in the same size forever. Basically since the beginning of high school I have been wearing size 12. I kind of just figured I would always be a size 12 - or bigger - and while I didn't like it, I just figured I couldn't change it. I have always hated looking in the mirror, and while I hide my weight well thanks to my height, I just felt so unhappy. When I first started this journey, it took a long time to notice any difference. In fact I was wearing my same jeans until about a month ago. I went home for a weekend and my mom said, "Shelley! Your pants are hanging off of you! You need a new pair!" I didn't believe her, in fact I told her she was nuts, but sure enough. She dragged me into American Eagle and I fit into a size 10 pair of jeans. Then, on Easter, instead of candy (which I said I did NOT want in my basket) she got me a pair of size 8 capris. They were SO cute and I really wanted to wear them, but I had a feeling they wouldn't fit. But lo and behold, 5 minutes later, there I was showing them off to my mom who exclaimed, "those look great on you!" Me? In size EIGHTS?? I have not worn that size since I was in middle school. Every time I put on the pants, I cross my fingers and hope they fit because I still think it's a fairy tale!

3. I never thought I'd get back up after a fall.
My biggest problem with sticking to a healthy eating plan is my tendency to binge. I am an emotional eater, and I am also a guilt-eater. When I eat something unhealthy, I feel guilty and go WAY overboard until I can't eat anymore. I used to try to eat healthy for a few days, then have something bad and end up totally giving up and forgetting about it. But this time has been different. Have I had binges? You betcha. But I have worked really hard on self-acceptance and the ability to say to myself, "Hey, it's OKAY. You are human, you haven't ruined anything, so what if you had some dessert? We'll just do a little exercise and get back on track starting right now!" Even with binges, I tell myself that IT'S OKAY and I get right back on track. This is amazing to me. It shows me that I really have changed, and while I wish that I ate perfectly all the time, the fact that I don't will not stop me from being a healthy person. Do I lose weight fast? No. I lose it one pound at a time, one week at a time. And is that okay? YES.

4. I never thought I would take the stairs.
It's all the little things, like taking the stairs, that have really added up! I used to take the elevator to my 5th floor dorm room every time. But I think I have taken the elevator all of 4 times this whole semester, and only when I literally had something that wouldn't fit up the stairs. And it's not just the stairs... I walk over the hill to get to class, not around. I make time to work out even if I don't feel like it or think I'm too busy. I eat an apple when I'm hungry, not a tray of cookies. I have a small slice of cake, not 3. I measure out my serving sizes. I am honest with myself about what I eat. All of these things have added up! I am shocked with the choices that I am starting to naturally make on my own. After making things a habit, they truly become a way of living!

These are only a few things, but this post is getting pretty long. If anyone actually reads the whole thing, kudos! :) I guess I'm just in a great mood tonight (and don't really feel like doing homework) and wanted to share some of the good changes in my life. Have I reached my goal? Heck no, but I'm proud of what I've done so far and I'm excited to keep going. AND, as a reader of almost all the posts every day, I'm seriously so proud of what everyone else is doing here too! Seriously, you guys are all awesome. I don't post a lot, but being able to read what everyone says and seeing how supportive everyone is is SO awesome!

Yay for MFP! :)

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've never really written a post or anything about success thus far, but lately I have just been amazed at all the things that have happened through my journey so far. It seems like for a long time I was just waiting for the day I would magically be thin and it seemed so hard to be patient! I'm not to my goal weight yet, but I have finally realized the progress that I have made, and it's HUGE! It's not all about the final result, it's about what happens along the way, and some awesome things have happened.

So, here it goes. The things I never thought would happen:

1. I never thought I would enjoy running.
    When I first started running, it was for 30 second intervals on the treadmill - and it was HARD! I hated it and only did it because I knew it was good exercise. But I kept up with it and slowly started increasing the length of time I ran for. I remember the first time I ran more than I mile, I was SO PROUD! It was something I could never do in gym class all those years! Now, I am training for a half marathon. In fact I'm almost there, it's coming up in a month! The furthest I've run is 9 miles, which is AMAZING if I stop to think about it! Sure, I'm not very fast, but running 9 miles for me is something that, if you had asked me a few years ago, I never thought I would do. Another thing I've noticed is that I don't need music to run anymore! I used to think that I would always need my iPod to keep me going, but recently I have stopped using it. Just enjoying the feeling of running and how my feet hit the ground is so awesome. I can't believe it - I'm a runner!

2. I never thought my "too tight" jeans would become my "too loose" jeans.
    I kind of thought I would be stuck in the same size forever. Basically since the beginning of high school I have been wearing size 12. I kind of just figured I would always be a size 12 - or bigger - and while I didn't like it, I just figured I couldn't change it. I have always hated looking in the mirror, and while I hide my weight well thanks to my height, I just felt so unhappy. When I first started this journey, it took a long time to notice any difference. In fact I was wearing my same jeans until about a month ago. I went home for a weekend and my mom said, "Shelley! Your pants are hanging off of you! You need a new pair!" I didn't believe her, in fact I told her she was nuts, but sure enough. She dragged me into American Eagle and I fit into a size 10 pair of jeans. Then, on Easter, instead of candy (which I said I did NOT want in my basket) she got me a pair of size 8 capris. They were SO cute and I really wanted to wear them, but I had a feeling they wouldn't fit. But lo and behold, 5 minutes later, there I was showing them off to my mom who exclaimed, "those look great on you!" Me? In size EIGHTS?? I have not worn that size since I was in middle school. Every time I put on the pants, I cross my fingers and hope they fit because I still think it's a fairy tale!

3. I never thought I'd get back up after a fall.
    My biggest problem with sticking to a healthy eating plan is my tendency to binge. I am an emotional eater, and I am also a guilt-eater. When I eat something unhealthy, I feel guilty and go WAY overboard until I can't eat anymore. I used to try to eat healthy for a few days, then have something bad and end up totally giving up and forgetting about it. But this time has been different. Have I had binges? You betcha. But I have worked really hard on self-acceptance and the ability to say to myself, "Hey, it's OKAY. You are human, you haven't ruined anything, so what if you had some dessert? We'll just do a little exercise and get back on track starting right now!" Even with binges, I tell myself that IT'S OKAY and I get right back on track. This is amazing to me. It shows me that I really have changed, and while I wish that I ate perfectly all the time, the fact that I don't will not stop me from being a healthy person. Do I lose weight fast? No. I lose it one pound at a time, one week at a time. And is that okay? YES.

4. I never thought I would take the stairs.
    It's all the little things, like taking the stairs, that have really added up! I used to take the elevator to my 5th floor dorm room every time. But I think I have taken the elevator all of 4 times this whole semester, and only when I literally had something that wouldn't fit up the stairs. And it's not just the stairs... I walk over the hill to get to class, not around. I make time to work out even if I don't feel like it or think I'm too busy. I eat an apple when I'm hungry, not a tray of cookies. I have a small slice of cake, not 3. I measure out my serving sizes. I am honest with myself about what I eat. All of these things have added up! I am shocked with the choices that I am starting to naturally make on my own. After making things a habit, they truly become a way of living!

These are only a few things, but this post is getting pretty long. If anyone actually reads the whole thing, kudos! :) I guess I'm just in a great mood tonight (and don't really feel like doing homework) and wanted to share some of the good changes in my life. Have I reached my goal? Heck no, but I'm proud of what I've done so far and I'm excited to keep going. AND, as a reader of almost all the posts every day, I'm seriously so proud of what everyone else is doing here too! Seriously, you guys are all awesome. I don't post a lot, but being able to read what everyone says and seeing how supportive everyone is is SO awesome!

Yay for MFP! :)
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bravo!:flowerforyou:
  • EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    :bigsmile: wow you go girl!!!!!!!
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!!! :happy:

It's an amazing feeling when you hit goals along your journey! Everytime I get frustrated and want to give up, I just remind myself of one of the positive changes that has taken place in my life/fitness goals and I remember what it felt like to realize the change...and this helps me to keep going!

Congrats on all the positive changes you've made! :flowerforyou:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Way to go and thanks for sharing your story thus far with us. I hope you have much more success in the days to come. :flowerforyou:
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    That's awesome...it sounds like you are on the way to making a permanent lifestyle change! congrats!!

You and I seem to have very similar goals/pasts. I am a UW-Madison alum (!!!), I also hide my weight well because of my height (which I hate, especially because ppl can't see the weight but I sure know its there!), and I never considered myself a runner but now am training for my own half marathon coming up in August! You are an inspiration for me because we are so similar. keep it up for yourself, and as an example for the rest of us :flowerforyou:
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow. Your story is actually really inspirational. It's things like this that make me wanna continue and not just give up. I'm really jealous! I don't know what sizes are like in girl jeans, but damn, I've been hovering in the 34-36 range for years, and I'm trying hard as hell to get below 34 or at least to fit comfortable in a 34.

I hope someday soon I can come and share a story like yours. :-)
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Oaky that was such a good post I nearly cried! :cry:
    Congratulations on all of your wins!!!:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If only I had known this at 20!! Good for you girl for getting it right NOW!

:flowerforyou:
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. It is encouraging to hear that this can be done with little changes, and that we don't have to be perfect. Your #3 describes me to a T. I would have one See's candy, then figure I blew it already and eat the whole box. Doesn't even make sense.
    Congrats on your progress, and enjoy those 8's!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Yay you!! :drinker: That is a great story! Yes - you finally got it. That is how you do a lifestyle change. A person can't live on half of nothing for the rest of their life!! Things will come up, desserts will happen! We have to accept that, understand it's o.k. to have a piece of birthday cake and MOVE ON. Good for you - I am so inspired by your story!! Way to go and awesome on the running! I started a little last spring - got up to about 1.5 minutes of running lol! Haven't run since last June or July until Monday. I can still do 1/2 lap around the track - but your story has given me much needed inspiration to keep it up this time. Maybe someday I'll get to join you on that half marathon :tongue:

(I never thought that it would excite me to think about running a half marathon! :laugh: )
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Awesome post! Thanks for sharing....you are very inspirational! It's easy to tell your feelings in your writing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!