Where do you run?

Options

Replies

• shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My friend and I do C25K on the treadmills at the gym. We're finishing week 4 tomorrow. And even though I still weigh more than twice what I should (even being 24 pounds down) I'm able to get through my daily runs without feeling like I"m going to die afterwards. I of course am just jogging because I don't want to put anymore unnecessary strain on my knees than I already am with the program.
  • yag1630
    Options
    I run three times a week.
    Twice on the treadmill and on weekends on my rest day I run outside.

I'm also doing the couch to 5 k which is very helpful; use the treadmill for start.

My goal right now is to finish 5k in 30 minutes; my personal record is 44 min in 5 k but I'm getting there.

Hope to join the marathon within the year.

I believe you can do it, you just need to start it!
    :happy: :happy:

Watch this; an Inspiration to run

http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    unless I have a reason to fear for my life due to weather, outside outside outside x1000.

or if i'm doing speedwork. i lack the discipline to do speedwork outside. i have to do that on the dumb treadmill.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Outside!
    Hate the treadmills.
    I'm lucky to live in an area I can take off down roads, trails, asphalt, desert, concrete..right from my house, in all seasons.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Up in the hills on trails for my long runs and in the gym on a treadmill for short runs or in bad weather. I despise running on sidewalks in neighborhoods or along the sides of roads. So demotivating and too many creepers honking and hooting at you!

ETA: Plus, pavement is so hard on the body. It's dirt trails for me all the way. Nothing beats running in the country.
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love running outside! I have experienced running in the rain, running with strong wind, running in the cold, running when the warm sun is beating down on me, and running up and down hills. If you plan on racing, running outside will prepare you for whatever elements the race day may bring.

I was embarrassed running at first, but got over it really fast. You are running for you and your health - no one else.

Yay for C25K - I am on Week 6 and love it!
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I run on the treadmill, but I know a lot of people prefer to do it outside. A trend I've seen are that high school girls/guys who are on track or whatnot always seem to hit the treadmill. Older people (and by older, I mean early twenties and up), seem to go outside and do more endurance running rather than the sprinting on the treadmill. Everybody is inside when the blizzards come, though! It's really a personal preference but if you're just starting, I'd say hit treadmill first. You don't have to worry about uneven surfaces or running too far and not being able to make it back or the weather getting too hot or cold. With a treadmill, you'll likely be close to water (and the bathroom) as well. If you find that you like it, stick to it. If you find it's not enough, try outside!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside on the ground, the treadmill in the gym really hurt my feet and legs after a 10 min run!

The town that i live in is quite small, soo theres not many routes to go on, there just one main high street and then its back up to my house, there are quite a few houseing estates and back roads. Soo when i go out for my jog, i go up and and down the high street a few times as its such a small town!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I want to start running! Where do you prefer to run? treadmill or outside? I can't decide I enjoy walking/jogging outside but I am

embarrass since I am still quite big and I am no runner (but i will get there). I was thinking about starting in the treadmill and then

gaining my confidence to be that chick that runs outside every morning ;) I am going to start the Couch to 5k tomorrow. :)

big? I started at 400+ lbs. who cares what others think? I tried the treadmill long ago. hated it. I always go outside or a indoor track if there is one available.
  • doctrk
    doctrk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I want to start running! Where do you prefer to run? treadmill or outside? I can't decide I enjoy walking/jogging outside but I am

embarrass since I am still quite big and I am no runner (but i will get there). I was thinking about starting in the treadmill and then

gaining my confidence to be that chick that runs outside every morning ;) I am going to start the Couch to 5k tomorrow. :)

big? I started at 400+ lbs. who cares what others think? I tried the treadmill long ago. hated it. I always go outside or a indoor track if there is one available.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Outside. I only run on a treadmill due to weather.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • doctrk
    doctrk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know right, who cares what others think...treadmill is easier on the joints, but running outside in the elements keeps it real, esp if your traing for a 5k or whatever. c25k is a good program, im doing it too. some days are better than others, but at least try to get out and do it and if you fail for a day or two, so what, get back and start again....
  • achief192
    Options
    Outside, through town, in the summer. On the treadmill at the gym in the winter.
  • ItsTiffanyFTW
    ItsTiffanyFTW Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Definitely outside. I hate running and not getting anywhere...
    You have got to get over what other people think! Their opinion has no relevance on YOUR health!!

Now go out and grab day 1 by the balls!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    To the fridge.

:wink:
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    While this winter has been quite mild, running indoors is sometimes a necessary evil ... but given summer, spring, fall, and non-icy winter days, outside ... I feel like a hamster chasing cheese when I'm running on a treadmill ... seriously ... I feel ridiculous! lol

"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin" ~Some Chinese Proverb I'm sure
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    Do Hamsters chase cheese? ... whatever ... same difference ... ;)
  • HisPathDaily
    Options
    ... they should if they don't ... they're just hairy mice ... ok ... my rambling is done ... back to regularly scheduled nonsense ...
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K, also, and I mostly do it outside. I live in the country, and a shoulder was been added to the local roads in the last year or so. I have occasional problems with dogs, but nothing life-threatening, so far. I got a late start today, so I ran in circles through my living room, dining room, and kitchen this evening. I just started week four. It was noticeably easier without the hills I face outside. I get a better workout outside. Don't worry about what others think. You'll be looking good soon enough!
  • mrsred79
    Options
    While this winter has been quite mild, running indoors is sometimes a necessary evil ... but given summer, spring, fall, and non-icy winter days, outside ... I feel like a hamster chasing cheese when I'm running on a treadmill ... seriously ... I feel ridiculous! lol

"If you see me collapse, pause my Garmin" ~Some Chinese Proverb I'm sure

LOL!!