Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sarbu24 wrote: »
    Anybody here have very large calves before they lost alot of weight? How do your legs look now? My calves are so big around I feel like they will never get smaller. I think they are 17" around.

I couldn't wear high boots before I lost weight and had to get a large size when I had one of those boots they give you with a simple broken leg these days (which was somewhat humiliating to me).

Now I think my legs look pretty good--slender, some muscle. Being able to wear cool boots and feeling good in yoga pants are nice NSVs.

(I lost a LOT of weight, though, and for me the legs were one of the places it seemed to go on last and come off easiest.)
    Hey, if we can bring a three-year-old thread back to life, maybe it can happen for me.

Heh, didn't notice that at all. Oops. Well, I hope OP has the answer to her question!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    For me, it was all about exercise. Once I had worked out routinely for around three months, I could start wearing normal boots up to just below my knees.

Weight loss definitely wasn't a major factor, as previosly I was unable to wear boots when I had been 30-40 pounds lighter.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My calves are something like 20 inches, its all muscle, ridiculously toned, and the first place I gain muscle. I'm definitely a woman, and I'm a rancher. Boots are the only shoes I wear unless I'm running or in heels. Try justin brand, nice boots for people with muscling because they're built for ranchers.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I'm back after 4 years of starting MFP and love that this thread came back three years after I posted it!!! I have kept off the 30 pounds that I lost in 2012 and I'm back for more!
  • AniF368
    AniF368 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting discussion for me; I have very big calves too, always have done and they make me self conscious wearing shorts and skirts. I've never been able to wear a pair of long leather boots. They just won't do up over my calves. I'm heartened to hear some people have lost an inch or two from their calves with weight loss, and boots are doing up easier. Nice one KarenB927. ;-) Are there any trainers commenting on here who could maybe help by suggesting exercises to help tone down calves? I'm only 2 days in, a newbie, and planning to start running.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    AniF368 wrote: »
    This is an interesting discussion for me; I have very big calves too, always have done and they make me self conscious wearing shorts and skirts. I've never been able to wear a pair of long leather boots. They just won't do up over my calves. I'm heartened to hear some people have lost an inch or two from their calves with weight loss, and boots are doing up easier. Nice one KarenB927. ;-) Are there any trainers commenting on here who could maybe help by suggesting exercises to help tone down calves? I'm only 2 days in, a newbie, and planning to start running.

Welcome to MFP!!! You have picked the right app to help you with your journey!!
    I would love to hear from a trainer as well on this!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i've been told that running helps legs to thin out but so far i haven't been having any luck :(
    Kind of true. It helped my legs to become less jiggly (built a little muscle), but I didn't loose much when I started running. Solid legs look better than jiggly legs though. :)

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. it is my most hated part of my body. They go down when I lose wieght but not by much because the more I exercise, is the more muscle my calves gain. It is what is, is what I tell myself
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there's my truth to it, but my friend got a trainer and she started running a lot (long distance) and she complained to her trainer that her legs weren't slimming down they were getting bigger. He told her it was because the amount of running she does builds muscle in her lower half, and that if she wanted to lose weight/trim her legs that she should do less running for awhile and do something like the elliptical. Had something to do with what muscles are used for each activity.

Again...don't know how valid that statement is, but anytime her legs started to "bulk up" per se from running she would limit the number of days she ran and swap out for elliptical. It was a catch 22 for her because she felt like running helped her slim down overall, but felt it didn't help her legs so she did as he advised. Worked for her!
  • dmack073082
    dmack073082 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You like you body shape is a pear or an hourglass shape. Chances are that you're lower body is wear you hold the bulk of your weight. You are blessed to have shapely legs. Embrace it! http://shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    So not to be a downer here, but when gaining weight over time, that weight gets carried by the legs. The legs respond by progressively getting stronger and GROWING (hypertrophy). If they are big around now, and unless you have A LOT of weight to lose, most people won't lose more that a couple of inches around their calves. Sorry, but losing muscle isn't that easy, especially in the legs because we use them every day and any activation will keep the muscle from atrophying.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i've been told that running helps legs to thin out but so far i haven't been having any luck :(
    You help to reduce some FAT in circumference, but muscle ...............no.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    led6777 wrote: »
    Try swimming or pilates! Some exercises overuse the calves and will lead to bulking while swimming and pilates generally work the smaller muscle groups.
    Any exercise on the legs will keep them activated and deter any atrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png