Green Lentil recipes

Options
Anyone got any simple recipes requiring minimal additional ingredients for a can of green lentils? I've got a couple of cans of the things and trying to use up my cupboard stocks in the mess before I get posted. Low calorie, low fat and nothing too fussy. oh and pretty much hob based cooking preferred as the grill I have is a bit rubbish and have no oven, just a microwave! :) Cheers!

Replies

• Bevbl3
    Bevbl3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy one for you Val!

Sauté 2 medium onions until soft
    Add the lentils and.
    1/2 tsp each of mixed herbs and basil,
    2 tbsp tomato purée,
    tin of chopped tomatoes.
    1tsp brown sugar,
    salt & pepper

Simmer for about 15 mins until thickened and here you have a basic savoury lentil dish - you could add chilli/curry powder or whatever you like to liven it up. x

You could also pour over 140ml soured cream and grate some cheddar on top and put it under the grill until the cheese melts but that of course adds more calories and is optional!

Hope this helps! x
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You can put lentils with pretty much anything. I have made a few different lentil soups this winter, one with ham, one with chicken and one with beef.. I just saute my vegetables (any assortment that you have on hand), add some basil, orgegano, garlic cloves or pwd. (whatever seasonings you like). Add diced tomatoes (I use diced with chilies). Put in some fat free chicken, beef or vegetable broth (about 4-6 cups). If using canned lentils and not dry, add them after the veggies and broth have simmered about an hour or so. If you have any liquid smoke seasoning add this about 1/2 hr. before your soup is done...so good!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys and gals! Much appreciated!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Lentils + 1 box of frozen spinach, defrosted + 1 can chicken broth + seasoning (I like Cavender's Greek Seasoning) = yummy soup

I like adding a dollop of non fat yogurt or a squeeze of lemon.