Is this enough for a heavy lifting plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Exercise selection isn't one of the foundational principles one needs to concern him or herself with. Sure, we should choose economical movements - meaning movements that call on the highest number of muscles/joints to execute (i.e. compound exercises). Think along the lines of planes of motion. For example,

Template A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Row

Template B:
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press
    Chin-up

These two templates can be viewed similarly as follows:

Template A:
    Quad dominant movement
    Horizontal Pressing
    Horizontal Pulling

Template B:
    Posterior Chain dominant movement
    Vertical Pressing
    Vertical Pulling

Any compound exercises that "fit the bill" of each given movement plane will suffice. Which are right? Depends on the individual, skill level, injuries, what you've been doing, equipment availability, etc, etc.

That is the core of the program for the time being and that could work well for a long time. Once the core is established you can add in accessory stuff like single-leg dumbbell Romanian deadlifts, bicep curls, single-leg squats, tricep extensions, planks, side planks, etc, etc.

To fit this into a weekly format, you could do something like:

Monday: Template A
    Tuesday: Metabolic (cardio) work
    Wednesday: Template B
    Thursday: Metabolic work
    Friday: Template A
    Saturday: Metabolic work
    Sunday: Off

The following week everything would be the same, however the resistance training would be BAB instead of ABA. Hope that helps!
    Not bad.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Exercise selection isn't one of the foundational principles one needs to concern him or herself with. Sure, we should choose economical movements - meaning movements that call on the highest number of muscles/joints to execute (i.e. compound exercises). Think along the lines of planes of motion. For example,

Template A:
    Squat
    Bench
    Row

Template B:
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press
    Chin-up

These two templates can be viewed similarly as follows:

Template A:
    Quad dominant movement
    Horizontal Pressing
    Horizontal Pulling

Template B:
    Posterior Chain dominant movement
    Vertical Pressing
    Vertical Pulling

Any compound exercises that "fit the bill" of each given movement plane will suffice. Which are right? Depends on the individual, skill level, injuries, what you've been doing, equipment availability, etc, etc.

That is the core of the program for the time being and that could work well for a long time. Once the core is established you can add in accessory stuff like single-leg dumbbell Romanian deadlifts, bicep curls, single-leg squats, tricep extensions, planks, side planks, etc, etc.

To fit this into a weekly format, you could do something like:

Monday: Template A
    Tuesday: Metabolic (cardio) work
    Wednesday: Template B
    Thursday: Metabolic work
    Friday: Template A
    Saturday: Metabolic work
    Sunday: Off

The following week everything would be the same, however the resistance training would be BAB instead of ABA. Hope that helps!

This one is right on the money!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Best for tine: total body work out 3 times a week.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Remember, with training sometimes less is more. 3-4 days weight training in the gym is enough for the average (non-drug using like someone said) person. In all honesty, you can get a good enough workout using the big 3 (squats, deads, bench) only.

I've never done Stonglifts 5x5, but I've used Madcow's 5x5 and I had great success.