Taking Measurements

Options
Do you have any recommendations for how to consistently take your measurements accurately? I try to take mine once a month, but I feel like maybe I am not measuring the exact same spot. For example, I measured my arms (what I thought was the largest part) last month and it was 14 inches. Today, the measurement was 15.5 inches. Unless I got huge muscles in 1 month, I don't think I actually gained an inch and a half in my arm. Any tricks you use for taking measurements would be great! I was thinking about drawing lines with permanent marker....so anything has to be better than that! :laugh:

Replies

• tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations for how to consistently take your measurements accurately? I try to take mine once a month, but I feel like maybe I am not measuring the exact same spot. For example, I measured my arms (what I thought was the largest part) last month and it was 14 inches. Today, the measurement was 15.5 inches. Unless I got huge muscles in 1 month, I don't think I actually gained an inch and a half in my arm. Any tricks you use for taking measurements would be great! I was thinking about drawing lines with permanent marker....so anything has to be better than that! :laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i just measure my waist at my belly button its easier
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    I would like to know this also! At the beginning of this month I took my measurements (just like always) and almost all of them had gone up!? Now, I had lost like 25 pounds and yet my measurements went up, I know that is nearly impossible so when my hubby measures me each month he must measure in a different spot or something!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    like mya, i do across my belly button. i also do completely under my breasts (lift up, to get an idea of my back), across my nipples (tmi, i know) to get a good sense of chest.
    for my spare tire it's kinda obvious but i expect it may not stay accurate.
    for my butt/hips, i measured 1 inch below my hip bones so i have a reference point.

some people recommend having someone else do the measurements, but if hubby dsn't keep to the markers, it won't work.

hth

congrats all on your wt loss!