Digital scale vs traditional scale

Options
Does anyone else get frustrated with digital scales?

I'll step on my digital scale three different times in one setting and get three different readings.

It comes up 148 lbs at the first try...then 145.5 at the next...and 148.5 at the last try. The readings have been off as much as 4 or 5 lbs sometimes.

How can I tell which one is the accurate reading?

I know the batteries aren't weak, so I don't understand what would cause the fluctuation. I'm stepping on three different times in one setting and having to average the 3 different weight readings.

Does anyone else have this problem?

There must be a better way! :explode:

Replies

• Sugardaddy
    Options
    Does anyone else get frustrated with digital scales?

I'll step on my digital scale three different times in one setting and get three different readings.

It comes up 148 lbs at the first try...then 145.5 at the next...and 148.5 at the last try. The readings have been off as much as 4 or 5 lbs sometimes.

How can I tell which one is the accurate reading?

I know the batteries aren't weak, so I don't understand what would cause the fluctuation. I'm stepping on three different times in one setting and having to average the 3 different weight readings.

Does anyone else have this problem?

There must be a better way! :explode:
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    I've faced the same challenge with my digital scale, although it hasn't fluctuated that much...maybe the mechanism is poorly set inside tho have that much variation.

I'm inclined to toss mine and get a non-digital scale. I do get a lift when I see the scale change by .2 or .6 of a pound, but I have to keep in mind that I am going for loss over time, like weeks, not days.

The scales can really mess with our progress...i also go by how my clothes fit too!:devil:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Keep it on wood or concrete floor no tiles always weigh naked with dry hair..keep it in the same spot avoid moving it around too much..and only weigh once i wouldnt hop on and off it..but if u are doing the above and still getting diff readings perhaps its time for a new scale
  • ohrscarlet
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I was thinking that maybe the scale is getting old and that I need a new one. I don't know how long a digital scale lasts. It is very frustrating. I think that I am going to start to weigh myself at the gym I am sure that one accurate.
  • elk949
    elk949 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, I've definitely gotten frustrated with digital scales!! Some are more accurate than others, but I finally resorted to buying a traditional scale. It takes up a lot more space, but it's a lot less frustrating because it doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as digital scales.
  • sarahiris
    sarahiris Posts: 82
    Options
    I have the same problem with my digital scale, i have now resorted to the good old ww scale.

Can i ask why would you not measure on a tiled floor, my bathroom and kitchen are both tiled???
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have two digitals. They are both sitting on my tile bathroom floor. I never have trouble with readings. Maybe new batteries are needed? Maybe a new scale?
  • Sugardaddy
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice!

The only reason I keep the digital one around is because it usually gives me a better weight reading than the traditional one. :tongue:

I should try to find one that's more accurate--say in a doctor's office.
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    This is so funn to me :laugh: because I have the same problem but wth both scales. I am now using a traditional one and my weight can change anywhere form 5 to 8 KILOGRAMS thats a lot! :ohwell: Maybe we should go to the doctors office and weigh ourselves there, just let ourselves in and help ourselves to their scales for an accurate reading :tongue: