NEED HELP! dieting and exercise not working.

hey there every one, so iv been doing this for about 19 days (15 on mfp and 4 on another site before this) i started at 290 i lost 7 pounds but now its all come back. Yes im following mfp, i ALWAYS have calories remaining when i complete an entry, i burn what it tells me i should and more most days. I am eating healthy food, though im sure i could eat healthier but i eat as healthy as i can. i have even tried the protein shakes to help me feel full longer and they don't do anything for me at all. I ALWAYS feel hungry even when i eat back my calories burned. for work outs i use a stationary bike till my butt hurts or my child yells for me. i run in place as long as i can or until my asthma acts up and i do crunches and push ups (girl style) every few days and iv been walking a lot more, i live in a neighborhood with tons of hills so walking is a pretty good work out. i just really don't know what to do. i want to make this life style change but im only 3 weeks in an its already not working so PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• MWojdak
    MWojdak Posts: 20 Member
    You might not be eating enough calories if there are calories left. Some peoples bodies will hold the weight if it is not getting enough calories. Try eating every calorie it has for you. Do you have it set for 1 or 2 pounds a week?
  • Check out my post in this forum called "Why you fail at losing weight" -- it might offer some great insight to you.

With as much exercise as you're doing, you're probably building up more muscle than anything, which is a good thing. The most important thing is not how much you weigh, but if you feel healthier and can do things you haven't been able to before.

Good luck, and we're here for you! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll see the weight eventually drop off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    You say you haven't lost any weight but have you lost any inches? It's possible that you've lost fat and gained lean muscle mass.

Are you using a heart rate monitor when walking? If you have one it can help confirm that your actual calories burned (HRMs are mathematical models but they're usually pretty close) is close to what MFPO is calculating.
  • i HAD lost inches i was doing really well, i had lost 4 off my natural waist and 3 off my hips(including the belly flap left over from the baby) but now im right back where i started. all the inches came back as well.

Also mfp says i should eat 1620 cals and i eat more then that because im eating back my work out calories, and honestly my work outs aren't very long, i can only do the bike for about 20mins and i can only run in place about 5 min before i need to take a short break, but i usually go 5 min break for 1 min and then repeat till iv run for about 15-20min total. my crunches and push ups are about 20 each. the walking is about 20 min's as well. i don't do ALL these things every day, sometimes its just the bike or just the running and some days it both running and the bike.
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Try to relax. It's only been 3 weeks, and it takes something like 5-6 week for the body to adjust to any new lifestyle change. From the sounds of it, you've got things undercontrol. It's just taking time for your body to catch up to the changes. I agree with charneus too, you're probly starting to build muscle, which is much better for torching fat in the long run. Just keep at it, and you'll see result of your labour.

And for feeling hungry all the time, try adding more fiber to you meals, and healthy snacks like sunchips in the off hours. I try to limit any protein shakes to only after a workout, as the protein activly helps rebuild torn muscle so they become stronger. And a lot of protein shakes are high in calories. I like to have a cup of pomagranine tea when I'm hungrey mid afternoon. Those walks of yours on the hill sound great by the way! Have you tried any at home workout dvds? Jillian Michael's set is all the rage on MFP, and there's a lot of support floating around.

Good luck, and I hope I've helped, even a little. :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I didnt see anything about lifting weights.....

running is great for fat loss but without lifting weights while on a caloric deficit, youll just be a smaller version of your present self.
    Adopt some good body weight workouts, pushups, pull ups, squats.
    Youll be in much better shape.

check out www.nerdfitness.com
    www.scoobysworkshop.com
    www.bodybuilding.com

If you have a gym membership and really want to kick it in...google Stronglifts 5x5 and start the program yesterday!!!
    One of the best for getting in shape and over strength improvement.

PS: It takes up to a month to regulate the system to change.
    Keep at it!
  • i forgot to add that i can do a few things that i wasn't able to do before but i don't feel healthier, i just feel hungry (i have added fiber and protein to my meals it never seems to help) i feel just as unhealthy as i did before i started all this. This is my problem, iv done all these things iv gone through forum after forum and tried everything suggested and no i don't expect immediate results i just don't understand why i would loose 7 pounds and then gain it all back so soon. i can deal with feeling hungry if its for a good reason but if im already at that stalling point before i have even gotten started then what going on?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    The only way we can actually give you helpful advice is if you open your diary - otherwise, all we can tell you is to eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drink plenty of water, and move your body.
  • Open your diary if you want help.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    1. Check portion control. It may be you are eating larger portions that you think.
    2. If your weight gain is recent and you are a woman, sometimes your increase in weight and inches may be water weight. If so, it will flush out soon and you will see the results return
    3. Weigh first thing in the morning. We gain weight throughout the day due to undigested food weight, etc. A consistent weigh in time is essential. Also use the same scales as your base weigh in... Changing scales (especially types) will do that to you. Also, make sure you have invested in a quality scale... If they are old, the spring mechanism may not be what it was earlier on and may lead to some inaccuracies.:happy:

On #2, even I as a man hit a plateau last week @ 319 (for a week).. Could not shake that level .. Finally got down to 318. Then one morning it showed 314.8. It happened after an unusually strong exercise session in which I sweat quite a bit. For some reason I think my body was holding water weight.

If your portions are good and your exercise is strong. Relax. It will come. Whatever you do, don't give up.
  • don't give up, for me its carbs- I will not lose weight if any calories are coming from carbs. cut back on the carbs and do high protien, also watch for hidden calories in condiments ( dressings, ketchup etc.). keep to 35-45 carbs daily and get them from veggies if you can.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Sometimes,patience is one of the best things to remember. I literally have lost nothing at all since I started in November and have searched through forum after forum page after pages of advice. Try to focus on the word lifestyle change and work towards fitness and being fitter instead of being skinny for vain reason. It helps your sanity if you really truly want this,trust me. :)

Have you tried calculating your TDEE and then manually subtracting a 15-20% deficit yourself?
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Without seeing your diary, it's very hard to help with ideas. From my experience on MFP over the past 9 months or so is that people do tend to stick to their caloric intakes... but do it with poor food choices. Maybe not intentionally because it is quite an eye opener on what foods are good and which ones are bad. Try to stick to a clean diet of lean meats, nuts, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Try to stay away from anything processed that comes pre-packaged in a can or box. Try to limit dining out or at least research the nutritional values before you go. It takes time and you will get there. Here is a visual to help with food choices. Make your own list of what you like to eat and how you can improve each item one at a time. Just hang in there... you can do this!!!

food2.jpg
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    I dont know how tall you are, but 1600 calories seems like too much. I do not eat back my earned calories, I eat right at the recommended 1200 for the day and that is how I have been finally been able to move the weight!
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    I didn't hear you mention anything about your water intake. Also first focus on health advantages and progress. Check out your sodium and sugar intakes as well, most people just look at the caloric intake, but everything contributse to weight gain. Sodium retains water in your body and sugar...well we all know sugar HAS to stay at a minimum. Good Luck and please don't be discouraged!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Tried to look at your food diary but, it is private.... Sometimes it helps to allow others to give suggestions on your calories, macros, and food choices for the day. Just as a suggestion the protein shake shouldn't be used as a meal replacement, I strictly use mine to get my macros for the day unless I get the protein from other food sources. Plus, strength training was not mentioned.... Try to mix it up with lifting 3 days a week and cardio on the other.... Hope this helps! Good luck with your journey!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Maybe try and find some people on here who have similar weight loss goals, add them, and take a look at how they eat and exercise if they are consistently losing weight. When I first started, I really just didn't know enough about nutrition and exercise, but I learned a lot from other people, and from reading things on my own. Sometimes it's just harder to get out of those bad habits than you realize. What you think are healthy meals may not be as healthy as you realize. Or they may be healthy, but not balanced. If I don't pay attention and not get enough carbs, fiber, and protein, I get really hungry and then binge, so I watch those things carefully. It's all about finding what works for you, and that happens only through trial and error. Please don't be discouraged by gaining some weight back. My own weight fluctuates 5lbs in one DAY sometimes.

Good luck!! :)
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 653 Member
    I do not think you have given this enough time, if in 2 months you do not see results then I would be worried
  • UFCGirl1988
    UFCGirl1988 Posts: 75 Member
    I don't know if this will help you but my diet goes like this: Monday- Thursday< I only eat 1200 calories even if i work out. Monday/Wednesday/Friday and sometimes Saturday are my hard workout days I usually burn somewhere between 500-600 calories and Tuesday/Thursday are my easy workout days I usually burn somewhere between 150-300 calories, but either way I only eat 1200 calories. Friday-Saturday< I eat ALL my calories including workout cals. I sometimes leave 100-200 calories for wiggle room. Sunday< is my Cheat Day. I don't even log in on Sunday bc I eat till I can't anymore. I know its not the healthiest but it keeps me going and I am continuing to lose weight.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I dont know how tall you are, but 1600 calories seems like too much. I do not eat back my earned calories, I eat right at the recommended 1200 for the day and that is how I have been finally been able to move the weight!
    Don't do this.
    Even if you lose weight that way, it isn't healthy. Your body needs fuel.