Ran a 5k or 10k? Question for you inside.

Options
gflynt
gflynt Posts: 32 Member
Hello,

I am going to be running in first 5k in May. What do you do with your wallet, keys, etc while you are running?

There is a block party with food, beer, and entertainment after the race and it might get chilly at night; therefore, I will need to bring a small jacket.

I am taking the train downtown so I won't have my car. I also won't have anybody there to cheer me on/hold my stuff.

Thanks!

Replies

• gflynt
    Options
    Hello,

I am going to be running in first 5k in May. What do you do with your wallet, keys, etc while you are running?

There is a block party with food, beer, and entertainment after the race and it might get chilly at night; therefore, I will need to bring a small jacket.

I am taking the train downtown so I won't have my car. I also won't have anybody there to cheer me on/hold my stuff.

Thanks!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Call and ask the organziers if they are transporting your things to the finish line. When I did my half, they marked the bags with our race number and we could pick them up at the finish line.

I haven't run enough to have ideas for the other stuff. Sorry. I usually have a car or a someone to hold my stuff.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Race organizers usually only transport your stuff to the finish line if the race is point-to-point, which is unlikely, as most 5 k are a loop. I would plan on wearing some sort of fanny pack that can hold a folded-up jacket and your keys. If you are short for space, just tuck some cash in a baggy instead of carrying your wallet. You can also get little "shoe wallets" that lace into your shoes and are big enough to hold your keys, id and some cash. (Doesn't solve your jacket problem, but you could just tie it around your waist until you need it.)
    Good luck on your race:drinker:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Most runs have baggage check for like $5 or something. You can also run with a small backpack on your back?
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yup, contact organizers to see if there'll be a baggage hold area. (They shouldn't even charge for it.) I'd bring the LEAST amount of stuff. Your home key I'd pin into your shorts. You can probably fold up a couple $10 notes and also put them in the pocket of your shorts. Maybe bring a crappy sweat shirt that you don't mind "losing". Don't put a whole load of 'stuff' in the baggage hold area. Remember, these people are volunteers, not a security detail.

Enjoy!

I'm sorry you won't have anyone there to support you. :brokenheart:
  • gflynt
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I think I will use my Camelback pack (without the water resevoir) to run with.

And it's ok if I don't have anyone there; I can be quite convivial in the company of two thousand people with beer - I am sure I will make a few friends! :wink:
  • shooting_star
    Options
    Do you have people coming with you for support? If so just leave your stuff with them. You wont need your house keys if you're running after all.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    one of those key boxes that stick under your car would work. In a pinch i leave my keys on top of my car tire out of sight, of course i live & race in very safe area. Most of the large races in big cities have baggage checks.