Just who are the MPF creators?

Options

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I dont care who they are. The free service we get is great, albeit the database updated by users.
    If people choose to click on ads which is how the site makes money, then that's fine by me.
    No doubt they also get a cut from fitbit too.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't think he was questioning whether it works, but questioning more the exclusive thoughts that whatever MFP says is the end all answer to all questions, which means there's no reaon to think outside of the box. He also mentioned being 100% ok with the site being here to make money, so I don't think he was berating MFP for that either, especially since he's still here, partaking in the use of the site, and hopefully has already began to see some success.

Exactly right I got the same impression from the OP. Basically use the site as a guide, not the be all & end all :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Apparently, it's mostly Mike Lee and his brother Albert, who seem to be computer and business guys.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I heard Mike makes Steven dance suggestively to bring in extra income for the site.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't think he was questioning whether it works, but questioning more the exclusive thoughts that whatever MFP says is the end all answer to all questions, which means there's no reaon to think outside of the box. He also mentioned being 100% ok with the site being here to make money, so I don't think he was berating MFP for that either, especially since he's still here, partaking in the use of the site, and hopefully has already began to see some success.

Exactly right I got the same impression from the OP. Basically use the site as a guide, not the be all & end all :)

:drinker:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I dont care who they are. The free service we get is great, albeit the database updated by users.
    If people choose to click on ads which is how the site makes money, then that's fine by me.

This ^!

To the OP: This site was started by a person who could not find a logging site for food that suited him and decided to design his own, which he then opened up to the public and I for one, am damn glad he did thanks very much.

The site is free, it gives the ability to have our own profile, log into our own diaries, log our exercise, get totals of our food and drink, get a ticker to keep track of our weightloss and basically, get support from likeminded individuals.

The site works.

There is a disclaimer stating that posts on the forums are the thoughts of the members concerned and do not represent MFP and should not be taken as medical certainties (or words to that effect anyway).

I am grateful MFP exists, it helps me along the way to a lighter self and I am just one drop in the ocean. Hell, MFP has helped God knows how many people and that alone, in my view, makes it one of the most worthwhile sites!
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I heard Mike makes Steven dance suggestively to bring in extra income for the site.

I would pay to see that.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Obviously there is a MFP God.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Mike and his brother! They are doing an awesome job, and great for them if then can make a living out of it,
    and help us live a better life!

smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif
  • niightwind
    Options
    Wait.. this site has ads? /doesn't see any
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    Options

This ^!

To the OP: This site was started by a person who could not find a logging site for food that suited him and decided to design his own, which he then opened up to the public and I for one, am damn glad he did thanks very much.

The site is free, it gives the ability to have our own profile, log into our own diaries, log our exercise, get totals of our food and drink, get a ticker to keep track of our weightloss and basically, get support from likeminded individuals.

The site works.

There is a disclaimer stating that posts on the forums are the thoughts of the members concerned and do not represent MFP and should not be taken as medical certainties (or words to that effect anyway).

I am grateful MFP exists, it helps me along the way to a lighter self and I am just one drop in the ocean. Hell, MFP has helped God knows how many people and that alone, in my view, makes it one of the most worthwhile sites!

I for one found this webside about 2-3 years ago and though it has taken 2 years to lose 47 lbs I'm okay with that. Honestly, I have never kept my weight down for more than a few months at a time it seems. But I honestly never cared, well MyFitnessPal helped keep me on track and now I know my body better more than ever. Maybe it's because I'm getting older so now I do care a little more, but really, I don't think I could have done this good so far without it. Thank you, MFP creators!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Mike and his brother! They are doing an awesome job, and great for them if then can make a living out of it,

smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif
    Holy *kitten* that's too much enthusiasm this early in the morning.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't care who they are ... as long as they're not republicans. :D

*holds up flame shield*
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    it's a free website....how exactly are they in the game of making money?

The crap ton of advertising on every single page of this site maybe?

Yes i understand that, it just seemed that the OP was implying they are making money off of the members and that perhaps MFP is just a load of bull, but mfp doesn't really make money off of us. I guess in a way they do if we click on the ads, but how many people actually do that?

It's a free website that has helped thousands of people reach their weight loss goals yet people still question whether it works or not, i don't get it.

I agree...questioning the validity of this website kind of seems like biting the hand that feeds you. Yes they make money from the ads, but can you blame them? They're not going to spend a bunch of time and money of their own to host this site. But the very fact that they do not charge us even one penny is kind of a huge indicator that they are not a money-hungry company feeding us crap information while they bank our money.

I have to say though, this site isn't what it used to be. I joined in 2008 and there was a lot more support and helpful threads. Now the threads go on for pages and pages and people fight it out to the death. There used to be a lot of knowledgeable regulars here (Banks, Tamtastic)....I'm sure they're still around but I don't see them on the boards much, but then again I have been avoiding the boards myself. I think a big part of this is due to the fact that new threads used to immediately appear in the Recent Forum Topics on the home page and move out as new threads came in. But now, threads keep appearing in the "spotlight" for days on end, racking up 10+ pages of dialogue and arguments.

I posted a topic about this a while back but it never got any replies because I don't think it ever appeared in the "spotlight". I think important questions and posts get ignored because the more popular posts and debates keep showing up on the main page. I used to be on the boards daily....I still use the site in my struggle for weight loss, but I just don't like the feel of the boards anymore.
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't care who they are ... as long as they're not republicans. :D

*holds up flame shield*

hahahaha I almost spit water on my computer!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's always true...if you are a sheep. You are going to hear a lot of things. Being an intelligent human, you listen, then compare it to what you know, accept it or reject it. Pretty simple. Or better yet, add this knowledge and do more research.

Essentially it doesn't matter what the creators intended. You make it what you want.

Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis.

Amennnn! ^^^^^^^
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I've been up 'til 6 am - busy shoveling snow... :explode:
    I've been out already 3 times to shovel my path, car shelters and the horse shelter's roof... too much caffeine to keep me warm maybe. :laugh: Sorry if I woke you up! :flowerforyou:

And it's 1:45 pm here.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I do not do everything MFP says. Some days I eat below 1200 calories and I don't eat all my exercise calories back unless I'm real hungry. When I first started MFP I hardly ate any of my exercise calories and I often went below 1200 calories. I have been taught all my life in order to lose weight you eat less and exercise more. I remember that advice and it worked for me. Plain and simple.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I've been up 'til 6 am - busy shoveling snow... :explode:
    I've been out already 3 times to shovel my path, car shelters and the horse shelter's roof... too much caffeine to keep me warm maybe. :laugh: Sorry if I woke you up! :flowerforyou:

And it's 1:45 pm here.
    Well, it's after noon here admittedly. It's just when it filled up my screen, I screamed and knocked my chair over.

XjbXv.gif
  • martyv73
    martyv73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my life I've cared about myself and have continuously been successful. My friends are also involved and provide constant support every day. I also get to see that I'm not alone. I don't care who, what, where,when, or why! I love it.