TTC/Pregnancy safe exercises?

My husband and I have decided to have a baby. I am wanting to know what kind of exercises are safe for pregnancy. I have had two miscarriages and a stillbirth so I am VERY worried about doing something that could hurt my baby (when I concive). I ment to ask my doctor when I had my IUD removed but it totally slipped my mind, I pklan on calling them on monday to ask about it. But I would also like to know what any of you have done while pregnant (or what your wife did if your the dad).

Thanks guys. :smile:

Replies

• anyone?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Honestly,, without knowing your health conditions etc. no one really can tell you what is safe and what isn't. Walking is usually considered safe unless you are put on bedrest. I think the best thing to do is talk with your dr. since s/he will know your medical history and the reason you miscarried and what is safe and what isn't.

I wish you luck. I had difficulty carrying but eventually did have my two girls. Don't get discouraged, I miscarried 5 times trying to have them.
  • MaddoxsMommy
    MaddoxsMommy Posts: 51 Member
    Honestly,, without knowing your health conditions etc. no one really can tell you what is safe and what isn't. Walking is usually considered safe unless you are put on bedrest. I think the best thing to do is talk with your dr. since s/he will know your medical history and the reason you miscarried and what is safe and what isn't.

I wish you luck. I had difficulty carrying but eventually did have my two girls. Don't get discouraged, I miscarried 5 times trying to have them.

^^^ This! Your doctor would know best. I wouldn't take a chance on what somebody said in an online forum. High risk = get your doctor involved.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member

That, basically. I ran until I was nearly 7 months along, but I was also running regularly before that, and had a healthy pregnancy. If you're worried about your own health, your doctor will be able to give you more accurate advice. Good luck!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Sorry to hear about your miscarriages. :( I am currently pregnant (13.5 weeks along) with our 3rd child, but I had two miscarriages before this pregnancy after my second child was born. Like you, I was scared I would hurt the baby.

Read the book "Exercising through your Pregnancy" by Eric Clapp. I bought mine on Amazon. FABULOUS book for expectant moms or those who are TTC.

My doctor said it was ok for me to maintain my current exercise program - which involves HEAVY weight lifting (yes, well over 40 lbs) 3x a week and running 3 days a week.

Also, my Dad and brother are both OBGYNs - my dad gave me the best advice ever once - he said "if it was so easy for women to miscarry doing strenuous or heart-elevating activities, women could just exercise really hard, throw around some heavy weights, or go to the amusement park for a day and ride a bunch of rough roller coasters to try to have an abortion instead of paying some doctor to do it" (I am not a fan of abortions he was just trying to make a point that women can do ALOT of tough stuff while pregnant without harming baby).

He gave me this advice when I was pregnant with my first born the week before we went to Disney World because I wanted to know if it was ok to ride the rides that said "Pregnant women should not ride" while 5 months pregnant. I rode them all, had a blast and have a healthy 5 year old daughter today!

Also, there are LOTS of youtube videos of women in their 3rd trimester lifting HEAVY weights, rope climbing, pull-ups and push-ups and doing crossfit. Good stuff.

I know it's scary to go against the grain and be aware MANY doctors still follow ACOG's outdated recommendations for pregnant women to be careful and not overdo this or that or keep your heart rate under 140 bpm, etc.... but many of them have not seen the research produced by Clapp and his team of THOUSANDS of pregnant women who exercised strenuously and it actually HELPED their pregnancies to produce stronger, healthier babies.

The only thing my doctor has said I can't do is HIIT exercises - she is worried about me going into an anaerobic state. So I'm just doing some boring steady state cardio stuff for the next few months. :)

Miscarriages happen for a reason. Something was wrong with baby and it wasn't meant to be. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with you or your partner.

Again, I had two in a row (about a year apart). My doctor said it was just a fluke. Either way, it was tough and I was terrified this time around (though I've relaxed a bit now that we have heard heartbeat in second trimester).

I'm exercising like a fiend this pregnancy for the first time and feeling great. You can do it too.