Can you gain muscle while in calorie deficit?

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
I've been reading some articles on this and think it is interesting...especially since people always say, "Oh, you are just gaining muscle probably..." when trying to lose weight and the scale goes up.

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/lose-fat-gain-muscle.html

Getting a net loss in body fat and a net gain in muscle over a period of weeks or months is possible, but it is physiologically impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same precise moment in time. One goal requires a calorie surplus and the other a calorie deficit. You can't gain muscle while you're in a calorie deficit and you can't lose fat while you're in a calorie surplus, it's as simple as that.

Advertising in bodybuilding and fitness magazines has brainwashed many people into believing that gaining muscle and losing fat together is a common occurence (with the right "miracle" supplements, of course). IT'S NOT! In fact, it's quite rare. It's common to see a large decrease in body fat accompanied by a small increase in lean body mass. It's also common to see a large increase in lean body mass with a small decrease in body fat. But one thing you will never see is a large increase in lean body mass and a large decrease in body fat simultaneously (especially if you are drug-free.)

There are several situations where gaining large amounts of muscle and losing large amounts of fat can occur at the same time:

When steroids and/or fat burning drugs are used
In beginners, whose bodies are extrememly responsive to exercise (some of the rapid muscle and strength gains in beginners can be attributed to neurological adaptations, irrespective of energy balance
In advanced trainees after a long layoff (the muscle gain can be attributed to "muscle memory: i.e., they are not gaining new muscle, they are simply re-gaining what they lost.)
In genetic superiors
If you are determined to go after muscle gain and fat loss at the same time, the only way to do it is to cycle your calories up and down. This is known as the "Zig-Zag diet." This way, you alternate periods of caloric surplus for muscle gain with periods of calorie deficit for fat loss. However, be aware that attempting to achieve fat loss and muscle gain at the same time compromises your results overall; it is a slow and inefficient process.

Charles Glass, one of the top trainers in the world for professional bodybuilders offers this advice on the subject:

"While you are dieting and burning fat, you are not likely to add any more muscle. Burning fat and gaining muscle often do not go together. Concentrate totally on getting lean and defined during a pre-contest phase and forsake the thought of adding muscle to what should be an already prepared framework."

Although Charles was referring to bodybuilders, the same principle is true for anyone. The most efficient procedure is to decide which of the two goals is most important for you; fat loss or muscle gain, then focus 100% of your effort and energy on that single goal.

Confucius said, "He who chases two rabbits catches neither." I believe that is wise advice.

Replies

• 12by311
    Options
    I've been reading some articles on this and think it is interesting...especially since people always say, "Oh, you are just gaining muscle probably..." when trying to lose weight and the scale goes up.

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/lose-fat-gain-muscle.html

Getting a net loss in body fat and a net gain in muscle over a period of weeks or months is possible, but it is physiologically impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same precise moment in time. One goal requires a calorie surplus and the other a calorie deficit. You can't gain muscle while you're in a calorie deficit and you can't lose fat while you're in a calorie surplus, it's as simple as that.

Advertising in bodybuilding and fitness magazines has brainwashed many people into believing that gaining muscle and losing fat together is a common occurence (with the right "miracle" supplements, of course). IT'S NOT! In fact, it's quite rare. It's common to see a large decrease in body fat accompanied by a small increase in lean body mass. It's also common to see a large increase in lean body mass with a small decrease in body fat. But one thing you will never see is a large increase in lean body mass and a large decrease in body fat simultaneously (especially if you are drug-free.)

There are several situations where gaining large amounts of muscle and losing large amounts of fat can occur at the same time:

When steroids and/or fat burning drugs are used
    In beginners, whose bodies are extrememly responsive to exercise (some of the rapid muscle and strength gains in beginners can be attributed to neurological adaptations, irrespective of energy balance
    In advanced trainees after a long layoff (the muscle gain can be attributed to "muscle memory: i.e., they are not gaining new muscle, they are simply re-gaining what they lost.)
    In genetic superiors
    If you are determined to go after muscle gain and fat loss at the same time, the only way to do it is to cycle your calories up and down. This is known as the "Zig-Zag diet." This way, you alternate periods of caloric surplus for muscle gain with periods of calorie deficit for fat loss. However, be aware that attempting to achieve fat loss and muscle gain at the same time compromises your results overall; it is a slow and inefficient process.

Charles Glass, one of the top trainers in the world for professional bodybuilders offers this advice on the subject:

"While you are dieting and burning fat, you are not likely to add any more muscle. Burning fat and gaining muscle often do not go together. Concentrate totally on getting lean and defined during a pre-contest phase and forsake the thought of adding muscle to what should be an already prepared framework."

Although Charles was referring to bodybuilders, the same principle is true for anyone. The most efficient procedure is to decide which of the two goals is most important for you; fat loss or muscle gain, then focus 100% of your effort and energy on that single goal.

Confucius said, "He who chases two rabbits catches neither." I believe that is wise advice.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

Wow, guess there is an advantage for a total weakling like me to take on a program like P90X! Speaking of which ...
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    Yea I'd say most people on this site fall into the
    "In beginners, whose bodies are extrememly responsive to exercise (some of the rapid muscle and strength gains in beginners can be attributed to neurological adaptations, irrespective of energy balance"

Group. So muscle gain and weight loss are both possible simultaneously.

Then again, this Tom Venuto character who runs that website doesn't
    get the greatest reviews

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/177/RipOff0177153.htm

As always, dont believe everything you read online.
  • 12by311
    Options
    Yewkon, I totally agree about the not believing everything you read online. I've read other things about this as well and was wondering about the opinions of fellow MFPers.

Also, I'm not a beginner at all when it comes to strength training and exercise. :smile:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    We had a discussion about this last week....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49276-replacing-fat-with-muscle

Banks posted some interesting information.
  • 12by311
    Options
    *Hand to Head* Totally missed Banks' post.

Thanks!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I do have a question about this though. At what point should you start focusing on weights? Is there a certain BF% you should be at first?
  • 12by311
    Options
    That's what I was wondering about as well.

Also, can I have my BF% assessed at a gym? Or do those at-home scales work close enough?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Neurological changes aren't the same thing as actual muscle growth (hypertrophy). Neurological changes are changes in the nerves ONLY, causing them to recruit more muscle fibers. Muscle growth requires excess amino acids and a positive nitrogen balance, which only occurs in times of excess caloric consumption.

So no, you don't get muscle growth and fat loss simultaneously. But you can have STRENGTH increases and fat loss simultaneously.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I knew that- Great info-

Thats also like you can't bulk up and get ripped with muscles at the same time its one first then the other.

You can tone up when losing weight but can't bulk up-
    And fat can't turn into Muscle like people think they are two different things.

Like for me I have to cut my fat percentage then I can focus on my muscles
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a big weakness for me and I have hit a wall in my workouts. I have been trying to stick with a 1200 calorie diet to get fid of the squishiness in my inner thighs, hips, butt, and lower abs BUT it think I may need to build muscle in order to “lift” these areas. I take a cardio kickboxing-like class twice a week and do Crossfit training twice a week but I am not seeing any results in my lower body. I have been consistent for at least 3 months. I am continuing to linger around 130 lbs and I am not loosing inches. What am I doing wrong?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a big weakness for me and I have hit a wall in my workouts. I have been trying to stick with a 1200 calorie diet to get fid of the squishiness in my inner thighs, hips, butt, and lower abs BUT it think I may need to build muscle in order to “lift” these areas. I take a cardio kickboxing-like class twice a week and do Crossfit training twice a week but I am not seeing any results in my lower body. I have been consistent for at least 3 months. I am continuing to linger around 130 lbs and I am not loosing inches. What am I doing wrong?

If that's 1200 calories after all that exercise, then that could be it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Do some training with weights to tone up- You can tone which cuts inches-- and kick up your cardio try doing something else- Or add it to your routine-
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't tell your body where to burn fat.

For me, my stomach is the 1st to gain and last to go. For women, it's probably hips and thighs.

On the bright side, carrying weight in your hips and thighs is better on your heart as your stomach fat is the same ratio as heart fat, not your hips and thighs.

Dont get discouraged. Your body stores fat and burns fat where it wants. It just takes time to lose.

As much as I hate to disagree with anyone, but YES you can lose weight and have muscle increase. I've lost 10 lbs and my forearms and biceps are much bigger than before, as well as my butt and thigh muscles. In fact, my thigh and abdomen measurements have increased, but my waist has decreased.

However, thats me. Everyone is going to be different.