Obsessed with shows about weight issues!

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Watch MTV's "I Used to be Fat"! Love it. Also on youtube they have Supersize VS Superskinny, it aires on BBC
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In one of those True Life shows , there was a guy who hid from his family for months and was completely obsessive about losing weight . So after losing weight he decides to see his friends after months from hiding and decides to go out partying , he had a drink and he got super mad and went on a crazy binge .

That was so raw.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Same here - been watching My 600lb Life too. I between weight shows & food shows I have a problem!!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I get my kicks from the weight loss-related episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress," admittedly. I love seeing them come back to get refitted and having it taken in dramatically.
  • Chaquilas
    Chaquilas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Totally obsessed! Fat Chef, My 600lb Life, Biggest Loser, Supersize vs. Superskinny....all of them!! I don't know what it is about them but I am completely fascinated!! There must be a lot of us though cause they keep making them, right??
    Oooo, don't mean to be so ruuuude but the 600# life kinda grosses me out. Im fat enough but I don't understand how a person gets sooo big, especially when at some point, someone has to be bringing them ALL THAT FOOD! And imagine how much $$$$$ they have invested in all that fat??!! Foods not cheap

I never understood either until I could have easily been one of those people. I found myself basically at 500 lbs bc of circumstances. Unlike most of the people they show, I didn't eat large sums of food all day long. I just didn't move enough. I would eat about 2500 cals a day, if that much. However this was usually in 1 or maybe two meals and then I did absolutely nothing but lay down and stare at walls bc I was so depressed. I believe that is why I am losing weight more slowly than most people my size bc its not that big of a change from before. Yes its healthier, but calorie wise I can see why I only lose about 2 lbs per week.
  • Happinessgrl
    Happinessgrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I never understood either until I could have easily been one of those people. I found myself basically at 500 lbs bc of circumstances. Unlike most of the people they show, I didn't eat large sums of food all day long. I just didn't move enough. I would eat about 2500 cals a day, if that much. However this was usually in 1 or maybe two meals and then I did absolutely nothing but lay down and stare at walls bc I was so depressed. I believe that is why I am losing weight more slowly than most people my size bc its not that big of a change from before. Yes its healthier, but calorie wise I can see why I only lose about 2 lbs per week.

I applaud you for taking that step. The hardest part is saying you are going to do it and actually starting the journey. Now all you have to do is keep doing what you are doing and you will reach that goal. Congrats on your first 23 lbs too!! That is wonderful. You are going to find that your goal really isn't as far away as you think. Once you hit a certain point, you will start to really enjoy the journey and not worry about how long the road is. Keep us posted and stay encouraged!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the show "Ruby"? It's not on anymore and I miss it. I wonder how she is doing.
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    that is me in a nutshell! i'm always really interested to see what the root of a person's weight gain was and how they are overcoming that to help them lose weight and get back in control of their lives and health. so addictive.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen supersize vs. super skinny - How have I missed this????!!!!

It's not on American TV that I know of. It's all on youtube though!

They show it on OWN in the US. It's on at odd times though....
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Totally obsessed! Fat Chef, My 600lb Life, Biggest Loser, Supersize vs. Superskinny....all of them!! I don't know what it is about them but I am completely fascinated!! There must be a lot of us though cause they keep making them, right??
    Oooo, don't mean to be so ruuuude but the 600# life kinda grosses me out. Im fat enough but I don't understand how a person gets sooo big, especially when at some point, someone has to be bringing them ALL THAT FOOD! And imagine how much $$$$$ they have invested in all that fat??!! Foods not cheap

I like 600# Life because it follows them for so long. Seven years after surgery and you get to see their entire transformation, the surgeries, whether they stay on track or not, etc.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    last spring my friend and I were addicted to "I used to be Fat" . I never thought she was fat, but she did great and loss about 30pounds
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

May I say that from someone who started her weight loss journey at 450# but could have easily ended up in the 600+ category--it is not hunger but misery that feeds that compulsion. One must love him/herself before understanding how the food inhibits relationships with others. These people really do not understand the pain that their pain inflicts on others. The person becomes so self-loathing that food becomes the only (yet temporary) comfort.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the show "Ruby"? It's not on anymore and I miss it. I wonder how she is doing.

I found Ruby very inspirational and heartwarming at first, but by the last season I just wanted to smack her upside the head, she was just so dang whiney about everything and making excuses. I sincerely hope she is doing well and continuing on her journey, but I wonder if one reason the show is no longer on is because last season she stopped losing and started gaining again. :( (Most of us have been there done that and I don't mean to disrespect her in saying that, merely wondering if that is why the show is off.)
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options

May I say that from someone who started her weight loss journey at 450# but could have easily ended up in the 600+ category--it is not hunger but misery that feeds that compulsion. One must love him/herself before understanding how the food inhibits relationships with others. These people really do not understand the pain that their pain inflicts on others. The person becomes so self-loathing that food becomes the only (yet temporary) comfort.

I am so super proud to call you my MFP friend! I can't imagine what kind of emotional state you must have been in, and i'm glad you have taken care of yourself (inside and out). I'd venture to say that emotional pain may be the cause of so many people turning to food for comfort. I myself am guilty of using food as my drug. No one can speak for someone who's been there unless they've walked a mile in your shoes!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

I am so super proud to call you my MFP friend! I can't imagine what kind of emotional state you must have been in, and i'm glad you have taken care of yourself (inside and out). I'd venture to say that emotional pain may be the cause of so many people turning to food for comfort. I myself am guilty of using food as my drug. No one can speak for someone who's been there unless they've walked a mile in your shoes!!

:heart: :heart: Thank you Amy!! :heart: :heart:

So many people do not understand the pain of being a chronic overater. I overcame my compulsion, but sometimes it seems easier to go there
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: Thank you Amy!! :heart: :heart:

So many people do not understand the pain of being a chronic overater. I overcame my compulsion, but sometimes it seems easier to go there

You're welcome!! I try to equate some people's reaction to large people as what i might feel when encountering a drug addict...I'm shocked and bothered by it but mostly because i just don't understand why someone would do that to themselves! I can't pretend to get it because it's something i'd never do. i don't think most people are intending to be mean they are just frightened and confused by something they don't understand. I guess that's just the eternal optimist in me, trying to find the good in everyone ;-)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I can say even looking back at photos of myself, I am disgusted. I remember the pain and agony of walking through the store. I remember the emotional pain of people stopping and staring at me in disgust, not understanding how I got to that place to begin with. The comments people make to a person who suffers from severe morbid obesity is heartbreaking...I do know from experience.

Would I ever care again to walk in the shoes I once wore? No, absolutely not, and it pains me to see others in those shoes knowing that until they become disgusted with themselves, I cannot help. I have a difficult time watching weight loss stories, because it really does not show the true internal pain and anguish one goes through. You are right...no one can really relate until the are in that position themselves.