30 Day shred, gained weight?

Options
Hello,
I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred 5 days ago. Have been doing it regularly every day, in addition to walking a mile to two miles a day 4mph. I eat 1500 calories a day and i do not eat back the calories i burn during exercise.
However, when I stepped on the scale this morning I was 3 pounds heavier. Anyone had this happen? and any suggestions would be great

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    1. eat back your burned calories
    2. most people don't lose a whole lot of weight doing 30DS. It's better known for toning.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    2. most people don't lose a whole lot of weight doing 30DS. It's better known for toning.
    Then the title is misleading.
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Maybe you gained muscle and lost inches.. Have you measured yourself??
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Shred inches, gain muscles.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You're undereating if you're burning those kinds of calories and not eating them back.

If you undereat, your body won't release the fat.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred 5 days ago. Have been doing it regularly every day, in addition to walking a mile to two miles a day 4mph. I eat 1500 calories a day and i do not eat back the calories i burn during exercise.
    However, when I stepped on the scale this morning I was 3 pounds heavier. Anyone had this happen? and any suggestions would be great

I am doing exactly what you are doing! Try measuring...you may see a difference.
  • mamalade1
    Options
    I gained a few pounds during the first week of the shred. I've heard others say the same thing. For me, they went away, and more. And I've lost an inch as well (that happened before the weight loss). Of course, that's not all down to the shred, I'm sure.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much weight as I expected either and I'm starting level 3 today. Then again my eating could be better. I made sure to take measurements when I started and I think those are more accurate than the scale.
  • lutkica01
    Options

I agree. the dvd says you should lose up to 10 pounds in those 30 days
  • lutkica01
    Options
    You're undereating if you're burning those kinds of calories and not eating them back.

I thought you are not suppose to eat back the calories lost?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    .. eat back you exercise calories.. you are not eating enough without them especially if you are doing other sort of exercise along with it. Also make sure you are drinking LOTS of water while you are doing 30ds. I also gained about 3lbs as soon as i was done 30ds i lost it in a few days too. I am re doing 30ds again and i noticed this time around so far i haven't gained any weight, haven't lost any either... no inches either yet:( like already said, most people won't see much weight loss during it but inches they will.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

That isn't true at all whatsoever. If you're expending more calories than you're eating, your body should definitely "release the fat". It has no choice but to dip into fat stores for the energy it requires. In essence, that's the entire idea of weight loss. And walking two miles would burn something like 150 to 200 calories max depending on the OP's size. That's not very much at all.

To the OP, I gianed weight on it too, and I've since stopped. It's a lot more for toning and building muscle than anything, and those aren't my primary goals at the moment. If you're a person who wasn't used to strength training, like me, it definitely shocked your muscles and they are/were holding water to help them heal, which is why the scale went up.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. Or you're gaining muscle (weighs more then fat)

Also it depends when you weigh yourself. The scales change many times throughout the day due to your last meal, when you went to the toilet last, how much water you have consumed etc etc.
    Measure your hips, waist an all that jazz aswell as weighing yourself :-)
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. Or you're gaining muscle (weighs more then fat)

Also it depends when you weigh yourself. The scales change many times throughout the day due to your last meal, when you went to the toilet last, how much water you have consumed etc etc.
    Measure your hips, waist an all that jazz aswell as weighing yourself :-)

muscle does not weigh more than fat... five pounds of muscle weighs the same as five pounds of fat.. i HATE when people say this..

the diffrence is... five pounds of fat will take up say ten inches while five pounds of muscle takes up only five inches. So no muscle does not weight more then fat... weight is weight.. the amount of space each takes is diffrent.

I am sorry I just get really bugged at the mixed messages people get.. it is not your fault... and I am not saying it to be mean or anything i just want people to stop spreading false messages about weight loss.. it has confuessed me and made me crazy and people deserve the truth...

imo anywys
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd second the water weight and under eating concept

From what I've learned on MFP, your body retains water to help repair the little muscle tears that happen when you work them out, I'd give it a few days, making sure I drinks lots of water and avoid foods that can cause excess water retention. I just started JM's 30DS too, after the first two days I gained maybe 2lbs and was really sore because I haven't done any kind of exercise like that in maybe 5 years... after the soreness went away, my scale said that I not only lost those 2 lbs, but an extra 1lb :drinker:

also, yes a calorie deficit is the key to losing weight, but if you eat below the number of calories your body needs to just function when you're not doing anything (aka BMR, calculater available under tools on this website) then your body tends to hold on to the the weight you already have. In a day, you burn your BMR PLUS calories the calories needed to do things like walking around, exercising, cooking, getting dressed, etc. this is called your total daily expected expenditure (TDEE)

to lose weight, you eat some number of calories in between the BMR and TDEE.

MFP basically does all the calculations for you when you enter your information (weight height activity level) and acts as a decent guideline to help you create that calorie deficit.

try eating back your calories for a week or two and see if it makes a difference, so good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I thought you are not suppose to eat back the calories lost?

Actually, you are supposed to eat back the calories burned if you are following MFP's deficit. Your deficit is already built in for you.

If you are following something like fat2fit then you would NOT eat back your calories because it is already figured in for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Addresses why people gain weight when they eat exercise calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Oh and for the person who said that if you eat less than you burn it should release fat? Here, read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

That was me. I gained 64 pounds because I kept my calories really low for years with modest splurges on the weekends. I'm now losing with a modest deficit. Of course, I now follow fat2fit and use MFP to track but the deficit is still there. I won't have to worry about regaining what I lost when I get to goal either.

Oh and I read a study that said very overweight people will lose fat on a vlc diet but lean people lose more muscle than fat. No time to look it up again now.
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is me right now!
    Anybody else doing the Shred right now and see a gain? I completed day 7 today.
    I took before pictures and measurements. I'll do pics at every 10 day mark....
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Me! I am gaining weight...5 days later, 3 lbs up...I am not extremely sore but I am definitely feeling tightness..gonna give it a few more days!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am half way through the Shred and my weight is up by around 1.5lbs. I did the Shred last year and didn't lose any weight at all but did notice a fair bit of inch loss by the time I finished.

It's frustrating because some people seem to be able to lose inches AND weight while doing it, but the main thing is that you're shrinking and will probably notice a difference in how your clothes fit, and your fitness level will increase.
  • SwanLake01
    SwanLake01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight too! I'm in Day 3 and I'm up by about 3 pounds. But I look better and I've already had one or two compliments... So I guess something is going right... :)