Getting rid of your 'fat clothes'.

Options
I've been using this site for almost two months now and have lost 21lbs. Despite this being a relatively small amount, I have gone down 1-2 dress sizes and all my clothes look ridiculous! Fab NSV,but I can't afford new ones and have a couple of parties etc coming up, so today I put my decent dresses etc on ebay (some of which have never been worn/only worn once - a couple are still being paid for from the catalogue!).

I'm now wondering if I did the right thing...

How long did it take you to stop wearing your safe 'big' clothes and get rid of them? Did it help you to stay on track?

Replies

• pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Never again will I hang on to my fat clothes! Anything too big goes to goodwill. Fortunatley I had some smaller fat clothes that I can now fit into again. If I have to, I will shop the thift stores until I'm at goal weight or stable for a while.
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have lost almost 25 lbs and i have gotten rid of at least 2 pairs of pants a few shirts and my favorite BRA... i threw them all away.. i will never allow myself to become this way again. i love the way i look and feel. i have never been more serious about this life changing journey.. i have vowed never to hold on to clothes that are too big for me.
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'm determined never to have to get into them again, but it has happened so many times before that I was a bit hesitant to actually do it this time!

Good luck with your journeys! :smile:
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    FIRST--- "I've been using this site for almost two months now and have lost 21lbs. Despite this being a relatively small amount, I have gone down 1-2 dress sizes and all my clothes look ridiculous!"

21 lbs in 2 months is not a small amount, it's huge and amazing and congrats! :happy:

If you are consistent with MFP you will not need those clothes again :) I am almost at my goal and kept one size up just in case something happens medically and makes me gain some weight back. I lost weight for me and learned how to eat and exercise so that I will never need those clothes again.

If this is your attitude and goal, then you did the right thing. I hope you can get some fab new clothes. I have spent a fortune on clothes.
  • Tazimodo
    Options
    All my old clothes are gone, my other half has been putting them on ebay and saving the money as spending money for our upcoming holiday! If you are changing your lifestyle there is no need to hold onto them, I know I will never go back. The only thing I kept was a large pair of jeans just as a visual reminder of how far I have come. I don't buy many clothes at the moment for 2 reasons, my size does keep changing so they don't fit for long, and I get a real buzz standing in the changing room and fitting into the smaller sizes so I get regular NSV moments! well done for what you have done so far, keep going!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Very topical right now. I lost most of my weight a year ago, but only yesterday packed up all my old clothes to make room in the cupboard. I don't know what I am going to do with them. I love my clothes and don't want to just sell them, but I hope I never need them again!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I've got a decent sized bin in my closet full of my "skinny clothes" from a few years back... and I think I'm just going to trade them out as I go. I like some of these clothes, and in case *kitten* happens, I don't want to reward bad behavior or drain myself on top of whatever medical reason called it by blowing more money on sizes I don't intend to hold.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Soon as I grow out of my "fat clothes" I will be getting rid of them, I dont want to option to look back! But I definatly feel you on not really having the money for a new wardrobe, but thrift stores are great, right now they dont have a lot in my size but cant wait to be in a more "average" size so I can shop there more!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest... it took me quite awhile to feel comfortable enough to let the 'fat clothes" go. I actually wore quite a few of my "fat clothes" until I simply couldn't do it anymore (I mean.. when you're punching new holes in your belt to hold your pants up? It is time for new ones). I'm not sure what the deal was - but I had a tough time getting rid of them. I think I was at my goal weight for a couple weeks when I woke up one day and got rid of them ALL. Now, I don't own anything over a size 12.
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I didn't mean 21lbs wasn't a lot, I just mean in the grand scheme of how much I have to lose it's not a huge amount (at least not enough to justify buying too many new clothes!). Also totally agree about the thrift store (or charity shop here) thing - they never have anything in my size at the moment!

This has made me feel a bit more comfortable with doing it - thanks for your support!

Good luck to everyone.x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!