This is a cool Body Fat Estimator

Options
Ideally, I understand that it's best to be below 25%.

I found this and I think it's helpful.

YMCA formula: http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/Fitness-Calculators/Body-Fat-YMCA.asp?AcctNum=3

Replies

• mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ideally, I understand that it's best to be below 25%.

I found this and I think it's helpful.

YMCA formula: http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/Fitness-Calculators/Body-Fat-YMCA.asp?AcctNum=3
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    umm....

Body Fat 30 %
    Fat Mass 67 lbs
    Lean Mass 155 lbs
    Body Fat Category Acceptable

so according to this thingy i can stay as fat as i am and that's acceptable?!? :noway:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    I think this site is messed up
    129 lbs
    waist 32 inches
    it says I'm in the obese category!!!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    lol... i'm sorry but you now know the truth i am acceptable at 222 lbs and you are obese at 128 lbs :laugh: it's pretty wrong to take into consideration the waistline alone, i played around with the numbers and it says if i only lose a couple inches on the waist and no weight, i will be "fit", which is crazy... the pudge can be spread in a different way in different people and just because you lost some weight in the waist area doesn't make you less or more obese than you actually are
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    129 lbs
    waist 32 inches

This is by no means meant in a derogatory way, but you're 129 lbs with a 32 inch waist?
    How tall are you?
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Okay...maybe it doesn't work well or maybe it doesn't register well.
    So it's fun to play around with.

It actually measured me accurately. I'm 5.5, weight 148, my waist is 26.5" and I'm athletic. It had me around 18-20% body fat. Which the YMCA measured me today at 19%.

SORRY! My mistake.....:embarassed:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    worked for me lady. 180 lbs, 32.5 inch waist. 11% body fat. Right about where I measure with calipers.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    129 lbs
    waist 32 inches

This is by no means meant in a derogatory way, but you're 129 lbs with a 32 inch waist?
    How tall are you?

I'm 5'2, 129 lbs, body fat % 23.5, and 46 years old, but I carry my extra weight around the middle - always have. I know I'm an apple shape, which is not healthy, and am working my tail off to lose the inches.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Can't put too much stock in things online... but mine's:

Body Fat 22 %
    Fat Mass 31 lbs
    Lean Mass 111 lbs
    Body Fat Category Fit
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    lol... i'm sorry but you now know the truth i am acceptable at 222 lbs and you are obese at 128 lbs :laugh: it's pretty wrong to take into consideration the waistline alone, i played around with the numbers and it says if i only lose a couple inches on the waist and no weight, i will be "fit", which is crazy... the pudge can be spread in a different way in different people and just because you lost some weight in the waist area doesn't make you less or more obese than you actually are
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    That's funny.
    Because ALL my weight is in my bottom half! :frown:
    From my waist up I don't look like my halves belong together!
    :ohwell:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    HA...it put me at 14% body fat :noway: ....if you click on one of the buttons under the results, it shows you the formula as calculated, but I missed any reference as to where the formula came from, I don't recognize it. Curious to know where they came up with the formula...Fun to check out though, thanks for posting!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    It put me at the same body fat percentage as my scale measures - I won't say what it is :sick: but it does seem to be accurate