Antideppresant

Options
I know i posted this last week, but didnt really get any replies so here goes..My doctor recently put me on cymbalta..Does anyone know the benefits/risk? Thanks!! Jessica

Replies

• buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    I know i posted this last week, but didnt really get any replies so here goes..My doctor recently put me on cymbalta..Does anyone know the benefits/risk? Thanks!! Jessica
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi, did you check out this site yet? It is jam packed with information on that medication.

http://www.cymbalta.com/index.jsp

:smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Like side effects or are you looking for something more specific?
  • buffjess
    Options
    any info at all
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    cymbalta.com will be more positive on it because it is set up by the manufacturer of the medication. So, I would google cymbalta and look at a couple of different sites. Try for well known sites for the best information.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I take it....I had some thirst and loss of appetite the first few weeks but that went away. I only take it from October to March (I have SAD and those are my really bad months). It is really hard to wean off of though. Basically you feel like crap and off balance for about a month or so when weaning. I had to stop exercising during that time because I felt unsteady. I am really going to try really hard not to go back on it this fall. I have been on every antidepressant there is and this one worked for me but was the hardest to get off of....hope that helps some.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    One important thing about taking antidepressants is to drink lots of water. They dehydrate the body so you will need more water. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    I used to take cymbalta and I remember that the first couple of days it was so hard on my stomach, it took a while getting used too. It gave me a lot of stomach pain because the pill is a bit strong but after your body gets used to it, it does help.

I'm not sure what type of info your looking for, so I'll post the info I usually look for when I take a new med.

http://depression.emedtv.com/cymbalta

Does Cymbalta cause side effects?

Some of the most common side effects of Cymbalta can include nausea, drowsiness, and dizziness. In many cases, side effects are minor and may be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. However, there are several side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider, including a fast heart rate, suicidal thoughts, and hallucinations. Some of the rare Cymbalta side effects include canker sores, high cholesterol, and acne.

However, not everyone who takes Cymbalta will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When Cymbalta side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can be easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.

Does Cymbalta cause weight gain?

There are a number of possible side effects with Cymbalta® (duloxetine hydrochloride), and weight gain does appear to be one of them. This data comes from clinical trials where Cymbalta was extensively studied and its side effects were documented.

personal note: I actually found that Cymbalat helped me lose weight @ first because I had no anxiety to eat.

Cymbalta weight gain suggestions:

If you are noticing a weight gain with Cymbalta, talk to your healthcare provider. He or she will do a physical exam to look for other causes of weight gain, such as certain types of medical conditions. If the weight gain remains unexplained, your healthcare provider may give you some suggestions, such as eating heart-healthy foods, exercising more, and limiting your intake of alcohol. If the weight gain continues, he or she may also recommend other lifestyle changes.

Sexual side effects of Cymbalta

As with many antidepressants, Cymbalta can cause sexual side effects. Some sexual side effects of Cymbalta may include a decreased sex drive, ejaculation problems, and impotence. If a person does develop sexual side effects, it is difficult to know whether these problems are because of the condition or because of Cymbalta itself. Depending on the severity of your sexual side effects, your healthcare provider may recommend that you adjust your Cymbalta dosage or try another medicine. Sex Drive or Orgasm Problems, Cymbalta is known to cause a decrease in sex drive (known as libido).

Cymbalta and weight loss

Cymbalta® (duloxetine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication used to treat depression, diabetic neuropathy pain, and generalized anxiety disorder. There are a number of possible side effects of Cymbalta, and weight loss appears to be one of them. For some people, this may be a good thing. For a lot of people, though, unintended weight loss can be a problem.

Why does Cymbalta cause weight loss?

It is not entirely clear why Cymbalta can cause weight loss. Cymbalta can often cause loss of appetite, nausea, and diarrhea, which may contribute to weight loss. Often, these side effects go away with time. Let your healthcare provider know if these side effects do not go away over time. Also, because weight gain can be a symptom of depression, treating the depression can lead to weight loss.

Sorry I know this is long but I wasn't sure what exactly you wnated to know, I'll keep trying to look for helpful info :smile: .

Hope this helped :heart: !

Good luck and take care :bigsmile:
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    Sweetie,

I found this on the cymbalta web page and I thought it might be useful. WARNING: this might be long as well as my previous post. I'm sorry, I just hope this helps you find what you're looking for.

http://www.cymbalta.com/learnaboutcymbalta/importantsafetyinformation.jsp

Cymbalta® (duloxetine HCl) is approved for the treatment of depression and generalized anxiety disorder, and for the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia.

What should I talk about with my healthcare provider?

Patients on antidepressants and their families or caregivers should watch for new or worsening symptoms, unusual changes in behavior, thoughts of suicide, anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, restlessness, or extreme hyperactivity. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have thoughts of suicide or if any of these symptoms are severe or occur suddenly. Be especially observant within the first few months of antidepressant treatment or whenever there is a change in dose.

You should also know that:
    Suicide is a known risk of depression and some other psychiatric disorders.
    Antidepressants may increase suicidal thoughts or behaviors in some children, adolescents, and young adults especially within the first few months of treatment or when changing the dose. No increased risk has been shown for adults over age 24, and risk decreased for those over age 65.
    All patients starting therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for new or worsening depression symptoms, suicidal thoughts or behavior, or unusual changes in behavior.
    Cymbalta is not approved for use in patients under age 18.

Before starting Cymbalta, tell your healthcare provider:
    about all of your medical conditions, including kidney problems, glaucoma, or diabetes
    about your alcohol use if you are taking nonprescription or prescription medicines, including those for migraine, to address a possible life-threatening condition if you are taking NSAID pain relievers, aspirin, or blood thinners. Use with Cymbalta may increase bleeding risk if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant during therapy, or are breastfeeding an infant

While taking Cymbalta, tell your healthcare provider:
    if you have itching, right upper belly pain, dark urine, yellow skin/eyes, or unexplained flu-like symptoms, which may be signs of liver problems. Severe liver problems, sometimes fatal, have been reported if you have high fever, confusion, and stiff muscles to address a possible life-threatening condition before stopping Cymbalta or changing your dose if you experience dizziness or fainting upon standing, especially when first starting Cymbalta or when increasing the dose. Your healthcare provider may periodically check your blood pressure while you are taking Cymbalta If you have any questions, talk to your healthcare provider before taking Cymbalta.

What are the possible side effects of Cymbalta?
    The most common side effect of Cymbalta was nausea. For most people who had it, the nausea was mild to moderate. Other common side effects included dry mouth, sleepiness, constipation, decreased appetite, and increased sweating. This is not a complete list of side effects.

personal note: When I was taking cymbalta or any other antidepressant there was always a point were I got worse before I got better. I have noticed that they always include as a side effect that taking antidepressants may increase commiting suicide, it's not that I wanted to do this I just learned that for me at least it's a normal process, before my body gets acostumed to the new drug in my system I do get sadder, can't get out of bed, shower etc; just get worse before I get better, of course my situation may be different from yours because I have cyclothymia which is like bipolar without the lack of lithium production, my highs and lows aren't as high or low; it's believed that my disease is before bipolar, a milder form of bipolar. The only advise I can give you is what my psychiatrist told me when I was being treated, you MUST exercise 5x a week, eat healthy and read, read, read. If you do this you shold be feeling better before you know it and have no weight gain problem. My psychiatrist would tell me that there is no correlation to all of the meds I took including cymblata and weight gain that I just needed to exercise and treat my body well, which sometimes pissed me off because it wasn't what I wanted to hear but once I calmed down I realized he was right the pounds weren't going to come off themeselves :wink: .

I hope all of this info has helped you and not overwhelmed you because that wasn't the intention. I just want you to know that you are not alone and that you can feel free to send me a message anytime :bigsmile:.
  • buffjess
    Options
    ty very much and yes it was VERY helpful! :flowerforyou: