Do you have to eat after workout?

Options
My husband always makes a fruit protein shake after his workout. He tells me muscles will catabolize without eating shortly after workout. I sometimes will eat and sometimes will not. I really don't feel like eating when I'm not hungry. I may feel hungry after doing strength training. I definitely don't feel hungry after I do a strenuous cardio workout. I don't want my muscle to break down. What is everyone take on this issue?

Replies

• byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat after a workout. I usually don't feel hungry. So usually I wait about an hour before I eat. If you are following a low carb diet and you really want to eat some carbs then it is best to eat them within an hour after a workout so that you will refill your muscles with the carbs instead of them being stored as fat. But typically I do not eat right after a workout.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Within an hour of working out and something that's mainly protein
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I just finished my intense workout. I feel like I would vomit if I eat anything at this point. What are your thoughts on this topic?
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I usually will eat something high in protein after working out.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    30 Almonds and a glass of 1% Chocolate milk is my post workout Snack... There is no way I could not eat something, I am normally starving by the time a get home from working out....
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body after a workout. As mentioned, carbs are actually good right after a workout. It's the one time your body is going to use them right away, guaranteed. I typically make a protein shake and include frozen blue berries and a banana. If it was a tough workout, I might even add a tablespoon of straight granulated sugar ... but that's usually a rare occurrence.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My gym has a smoothie bar. I consider the protein fruit smoothie to be my treat for going to the gym in the first place. They even have an ingredients book with some light nutrition stats. Most of the ingredients are also in the open where we can see what they are putting into it and what brand of products, etc.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    12 oz. 1% milk, 1 scoop Whey protien (AMP vanilla or chocolate) w/ 1 banana or 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt. Helps the muscles recover. This is also my breakfast since I work out first thing in the morning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body after a workout. As mentioned, carbs are actually good right after a workout. It's the one time your body is going to use them right away, guaranteed. I typically make a protein shake and include frozen blue berries and a banana. If it was a tough workout, I might even add a tablespoon of straight granulated sugar ... but that's usually a rare occurrence.

Carbs really aren't necessary after a workout

Disassociation between the effects of amino acids and insulin on signaling, ubiquitin ligases, and protein turnover in human muscle

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/295/3/E595.full

"However, it was surprising that adding insulin at higher than systemic postabsorptive concentrations had no further effects on MPS or LPS. Some workers have reported increases of MPS and LPS with close arterial insulin contraction without making additional amino acids available (4, 13). We cannot account for these differences except to raise the possibility that in our studies the stimulatory effects of amino acids stimulated protein synthesis to a maximal extent and that further addition of insulin had no additional effect"

Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that insulin is not additive or synergistic to rates of MPS or MPB when CHO is coingested with a dose of protein that maximally stimulates rates of MPS.
  • bonita862
    Options
    I started having a post workout protein shake just a few weeks ago, after 6 years of being a gym junkie. I found that My recovery is faster and I dont feel warn out the next day. It allows me to push myself harder and get stronger, i feel less fatigued and tired. Less sugar cravings and easier to sleep. I cant beleive i was so scared of an extra 90 calories. Its now the most important meal of my day :)
  • katiew00t
    Options
    I've read over and over again that a recovery drink is necessary for post-workout, and the drink should be a 4:1 carb-protein ratio. I drink VegaSport recovery accelerator immediately after my workout, and then eat a high protein meal an hour after that. This combination works great for me. My muscles aren't as sore, and my recovery is quicker. I'm sure others might benefit from different methods, but this is what works for me. Just a side note, my workouts are intense, and last 30-60 minutes. I'm also wanting to build muscle. So if you're not working out as hard or as long, or you're not looking to build muscle, this method may not be for you. Here is a quick article that summarizes what I'm trying to say!

http://www.pressplayfitness.com/08/do-you-need-a-recovery-drink/
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i generally do my my first workout before breakfast and my second before dinner to solve the problem.

i can do a workout without eating right after, but generally i prefer to have something during or post workout. if i'm hiking, i can take a protein bar with me.