Alkaline Vs Acidic? can you explain

Options
I have heard a lot of people mention that there is a difference in foods. I understand the difference between alkaline and Acidic from science classes, but I do not understand how this affects us where our bodies are concerned. Can anyone explain?

Replies

• ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey love. I just posted a few threads on this in the Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse Group.

Here's what I have on there. [Forgive me if it's info overload. I just literally copied and pasted.] You're welcome to slide on over to take a peeksee.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3560-crazy-sexy-cleanse-march-1st-to-21st

ALKALINE VS. ACIDIC FOODS
    This cleanse works in most part because it helps us find the pH balance in our bodies. The pH balance is what cures the cells and heals the body. It's what revs up the metabolism and get's everything working as it should.

The acid/alkaline balance, which relates to the chemistry of your body's fluids and tissues as measured by pH. The rebel/rogue = acidic foods. The nice ones = alkaline foods. The nice guy gives you energy; he's reliable and trustworthy. The nice guy helps you clean your temple. The rebel allows you to let your hair down and have fun, but it comes at a cost. He saps your energy. In time, a steady diet of the rebel will burn you out and kill off your cells. The rebel comes in the form of junk food, saturated fats, sugar, and booze. The nice guy comes in the form of fruits and veggies, which may seem boring at first, but let's give it a chance! We're creative souls, inspired and brilliant. I just can't wait to see what we come up with as a group!

The goal is to provide a peaceful environment for our cells that will allow them to receive the nourishment they need while excreting the waste with ease. Our diet is built completely on this concept.

I will post a list of alkaline foods vs. acidic foods in the next post, along with the sample menu.

TOP ALKALINE FOODS

o Purified water
    o Almonds, brazil nuts, sesme seeds, and flaxseeds
    o Avocados
    o Cold-pressed oils such as hemp, flax, and borage seed
    o Moderate amounts of grains such as quinoa, wild rice, millet, amaranth, buckwheat [exceptions: wheat, oats and brown rice are mildy acidic]
    o Grasses, especially superpowered nutrient-packed wheatgrass
    o Green drinks
    o Green veggies - all kinds, but especially leafy green veggies such as kale, spinach, lettuces, collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, cabbage, and endive
    o Lemons, limes, and grapefruits - although these fruits are acidic, they acutally have an alkalizing affect in your body.
    o Lentils and other beans - In general, all legumes (beans and peas) are alkalizing.
    o Miso
    o Oil cured olives
    o Raw tomatoes - but cooked tomatoes are acidic
    o Root veggies, such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, turnips, jicama, daikon, and burdock.
    o Seaweed
    o Sprouts
    o Stevia (a sweetener)

THE ACIDIC FOODS

Here's a list of some of the offenders on the Crazy Sexy Diet that form the other part of what we eat. So whether we're striving to eat 60% alkaline foods or going for a whopping 80%, this list would make up the 40/20% of the rest of our diet. Consuming them in moderation, limiting them to occasional indulgences, or eliminating them entirely is recommended.

o Alcohol (if you do drink... Choose red organic wines and no more than a glass or two a week)
    o Animal protein: Red meant, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, dairy products. These are ALL highly acidic. While on the cleanse, the goal is to eliminate.
    o Chemicals, drugs, cigs, heavy metals, pesticides, and preservatives. While on the cleanse, we'll want to eliminate where we can incuding, buying organic where we can, peeling veggies and fruits when not organic, eliminating all processed foods and their preservatives, and using fragrance free cosmetics and deodorants
    o Coffee (even decaf - esp because they use poisons and chemicals as part of the process to strip the caffeine) and black teas.
    o Heavily processed foods no matter what they are made of.
    o Honey, corn syrup, brown sugar, fructose.
    o Ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard (use sparingly) (Also, I'll be posting a LIVE ketchup recipe.)
    o Some legumes like chickpeas, black beans, and soybeans are slightly acidic but are valuable staples of a healthy diet. Remember moderation while on the cleanse.
    o Processed soy products tend to fall on the acidic side. Again moderation.
    o MSG. Eliminate.
    o Processed oils such as margarine, fake fats, trans fats, and refined vegetable oils. Eliminate.
    o Refined grains, wheat, and oats: White bread, pasta, and rice are highly acidic. Oats and the grains mentioned above in moderation. The white stuff - eliminate. The wheat gluten... eliminate if you can, if not, in moderation.
    o Soda, energy drinks, sport drinks. Eliminate.
    o Table salt (sea salt and kosher salt are better choices in moderation)
    o All salted and roasted nuts
    o White sugar and sugar substitutes (you wouldn't believe that some of these even contain trace amounts of arsenic. Crazy i tell ya!
    o Yeast and vinegar with the exception of raw vinegar, esp raw apple cider vinegar
    o soy sauce (use sparingly. I would suggest replacing with Bragg's Liquid Aminos - it taste just like soy, or choose low-sodium tamari or gluten-free nama shoyu.