butter or

Options

Replies

• nancyflorida
    nancyflorida Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use that spray Can't Believe something then mix up Spenda and cinnamon to sprinkle on Now that is a treat. I also use diet bread of some kind to I can have two slices. I am an old WW.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Butter every single time.

Margarine is just fake veg oils and a ton ofther chemicals.

butter is just natural fats, and there is nothing wrong with saturated fats at all
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Canola oil! It's healthier than both but still a whole food.

I will respectfully disagree. Canola Oil is one of the worst dietary Oils in existence. It is currently made form a genetically modified version of the Rapeseed Plant which is toxic to humans. It is occiasionally expeller pressed but is more often treated with the use of the chemical Hexane. It is heated, which causes oxidation leading to potential increase of ldl cholesterol and it requires it being filtered and deodorized to be edible. This info is all from http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php the industry ortganization whose objective is to promote sales of Canola oil. If you want to research the real bad stuff, try a google search.

It is anything but healthier or a whole and natural food. Nutritionally it is inferior to butter which, if organic and grass fed contains Omega 3 fatty acids, A key element in heart health. There is also a body of research that says that saturated fats like butter and coconut oil resist oxidation in the blood stream and help production of HDL cholesterol. There is also a body of research that contradicts the claims that saturated fat shows any relationship to serum cholesterol in the absence of other mitigating factors like obesity and high triglycerides. Plain and simple, as the nutritionist posted earlier, butter is better.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Butter for now and forever till death do us part! :laugh:

Margarine is SO 70's!!! :tongue:
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't think either one is GOOD for you, but I think either is fine in very small amounts as long as it doesn't contain trans fats!
  • gumigal82
    Options
    Butter- I'll take a few extra cals for the real thing. Plus, I don't use it too much.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use margarine, just never really got into the taste of butter.
  • mmapags
    Options
    BUTTER!! It's a real food. Preferrably pastured (Kerrygold!) but definitely organic. Butter also contains vitamins A, E, D, & K. They happen to be fat-soluble vitamins which means you need to eat some fat with them so your body will absorb them.

Margarine is chemically processed (and altered) unnatural fats that the body doesn't recognize. This also applies to vegetable oils like corn, canola, sunflower, safflower, etc. And the olive oil spreads? The olive oil has been chemically processed to make it solid (it normally isn't). These are unhealthy and dangerous PUFAs.

I use butter, coconut oil (cold-pressed), olive oil (cold-pressed), avocado oil (also cold-pressed). The fats in butter and coconut oil (MCTs) are more likely to be used as energy rather than stored as fat (at least if you are a fat-burner. The majority of people out there are sugar-burners thanks to the Standard American Diet).

Clap! Clap! Clap! (that's the sound of applause!) Nailed it!
  • deblc6836
    Options
    Nutella is full of hydrogenated fat the same as margarine is.

Butter all the way!!! (Or use EVOO in place of when you can.)

Actually, the palm oil in Nutella is not hydrogenated -- check their website.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Butter all the way! I live in Wisconsin so I try to buy from local dairies. Yummy!
  • Libbster2014
    Libbster2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Butter. I read somewhere that it is actually better for you even though it has more calories. I just try to use half of what I normally would when I do use it. Just seems like margarine is full of bad stuff.
  • Canola oil! It's healthier than both but still a whole food.

I will respectfully disagree. Canola Oil is one of the worst dietary Oils in existence. It is currently made form a genetically modified version of the Rapeseed Plant which is toxic to humans. It is occiasionally expeller pressed but is more often treated with the use of the chemical Hexane. It is heated, which causes oxidation leading to potential increase of ldl cholesterol and it requires it being filtered and deodorized to be edible. This info is all from http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php the industry ortganization whose objective is to promote sales of Canola oil. If you want to research the real bad stuff, try a google search.

It is anything but healthier or a whole and natural food. Nutritionally it is inferior to butter which, if organic and grass fed contains Omega 3 fatty acids, A key element in heart health. There is also a body of research that says that saturated fats like butter and coconut oil resist oxidation in the blood stream and help production of HDL cholesterol. There is also a body of research that contradicts the claims that saturated fat shows any relationship to serum cholesterol in the absence of other mitigating factors like obesity and high triglycerides. Plain and simple, as the nutritionist posted earlier, butter is better.

WHAT?! I thought this was healthy too and is ALL I USE!! OMG!

No, I'm not gonna take your statement and run with it as the gospel, but thanks for posting this as something to research!
    >.<
  • mmapags
    Options
  • mammaFireBear
    mammaFireBear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a large famialy farm. I know why margerine was invented and I will not eat it. I would say use organic butter unless you have allergies.....
  • spapsidero
    Options
    I loooove some butter! But I've been putting peanut butter on my toast. I don't like eating breakfast so this is a way for me to eat something with a little protein.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    We had a nutritionalist come to our job and she said I can't believe it's not butter is only a 2 molecule differance from plastic...WTH? How can they sell this crap?!?!

Real butter, unsalted definately. It tastes better and she also said it has more fat but healthy fats that our bodies need to survive and digest.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Put a little cream cheese or laughing cow cheese on the toast!! MMMM!!!
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you want to try something different try gucamole on your toast, or natural peanut butter, I also like jalapeno greek yogurt too!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    put a tub of butter on the counter...put a tub of margarine on the counter

leave them alone for a month

the butter will grow mold, the margarine won't (because of the preservatives and chemicals)

what would YOU want to put in your body?

Unsalted sweet cream butter...sparingly, for me.
  • parsnips1980
    Options
    margarine is full of bad stuff (trans fats, things you can't pronounce), butter is full of other bad stuff (saturated 'animal' fats). there will always be arguments for choosing one or the other when really, neither are 'good' for you. basically you might as well choose whichever one you prefer and stick with it (in small quantities of course)......however if you want an all around healthier alternative, i just found this article about making your own pure olive oil spread. check it out.... http://www.oliveoilmatters.com/olive-oil-spread.html