Help!!!!!!! Calorie reality problem

Options
I sure need some imput. I am 57 years old. I've had two surguries since this weight loss began. I've lost 60 lbs. through sheer determination. Now I'm struggling. The reality is I am only 5"1 inches tall. My maximum weight should be 132. I'm at 150 now. That means I should be eating 1300 calories for the rest of my life to maintain a weight of 130. I dont think I can do it. I am constantly hungary.

Ok, so I know I need to burn some calories. I peddal two hours each night. I do a little cleaning or walking, but its hard to burn enough calories. Sometimes I peddal four hours and then I'm just all the hungrier. Frankly I feel best eating around 1800 calories a day, but I don't want to weigh 180 lbs. I try to squeeze in other things, weights, and walking, but it isn't always easy with a busy lifestyle. Can anyone give me some good advice here. I welcome the imput. Thanks sincerely Anise PS. IM small boned, short, and in my fifties. 110 would not be too thin for someone my size, but that would mean a maintenance diet of 1000 calories a day for life. HELP!

Replies

• Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I sure need some imput. I am 57 years old. I've had two surguries since this weight loss began. I've lost 60 lbs. through sheer determination. Now I'm struggling. The reality is I am only 5"1 inches tall. My maximum weight should be 132. I'm at 150 now. That means I should be eating 1300 calories for the rest of my life to maintain a weight of 130. I dont think I can do it. I am constantly hungary.

Ok, so I know I need to burn some calories. I peddal two hours each night. I do a little cleaning or walking, but its hard to burn enough calories. Sometimes I peddal four hours and then I'm just all the hungrier. Frankly I feel best eating around 1800 calories a day, but I don't want to weigh 180 lbs. I try to squeeze in other things, weights, and walking, but it isn't always easy with a busy lifestyle. Can anyone give me some good advice here. I welcome the imput. Thanks sincerely Anise PS. IM small boned, short, and in my fifties. 110 would not be too thin for someone my size, but that would mean a maintenance diet of 1000 calories a day for life. HELP!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont understand where you get your numbers regarding calories...But if you are satusfied at 1800 calories ..eat 1800 I highly doubt u will balloon up to 180lbs eat right excercise and make sure your majority of calories come from quality foods..thats provide the most nutrition...walking is the best medicine just a nice stroll for an hr..nothing fast paced if you can handle it
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1300 calories? are you sure? because I weigh about 142 lbs and am 5'6"... my maintenance calories right now are up around 1750... 1300 sounds low for a weight of 130...
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I find running is the best way to burn the most calories in the least amount of time, besides that all you do is go out your front door and run.
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    I find running is the best way to burn the most calories in the least amount of time, besides that all you do is go out your front door and run.
    ability may be a factor ...hence using the pedal and the surgeries....running is high impact and can be dangerous
  • Anise6789
    Options
    There is a formula, you can multiply your weight by your activity factor a nd figure the needed calories. When I was younger I used a factor of 12, but now I use a factor of ten as my metabolism has slowed down. THis may not be an exact science but it has always worked for me.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: I wonder are you eating 5 small meals a day? Believe it or not but that really helps. For your inbetween meals eat fresh fruit, veggies, cheese and that will help you stay full. Also are you eating good carbs and protein? Those as well will help you stay full plus as you burn calories while excercising they turn into muscle! Keep up the good work! While out shopping remember to park far away from the door, walk down any stairs, take mini walks throughout the day if you can't get a long walk in, and don't forget to use your weights!:smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    There is a formula, you can multiply your weight by your activity factor a figure the needed calories. When I was younger I used a factor of 12, but now I use a factor of ten as my metabalism has slowed down. THis may not be an exact science but it has always worked for me.
    Oh I would say go with what has been working for you for years..just add in some walking if you can or maybe some more of the pedal..maybe some alternate excercise like gardening,bowling,swimming or water aerobics..good luck..just counter those extra calories with some good ole activity ...im sure u wont gain
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    You're about right with the maintenance calories. For a woman who is 57 years old and 5'1, 130 pounds, it shows you need 1336 calories for maintenance. Here is the calculator I used if anyone is interested:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

I have been struggling with the same thing lately. My maintenance calories for my goal weight are 1394 and I can't imagine keeping to that the rest of my life! I'm at 1200 on here and 200 more is hardly anything! I feel your pain!
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    1300 calories? are you sure? because I weigh about 142 lbs and am 5'6"... my maintenance calories right now are up around 1750... 1300 sounds low for a weight of 130...
    Doesnt age play a factor in maintenance calorie allottment?
  • Anise6789
    Options
    HEHE somedays Im eating as many as ten tiny meals all equalling 1300. And constantly hungary and going for another tiny something. I try to include nutritious foods. I dont each much meat because of the high calories. Im usually in the right balance range on my reports. Sometimes I feel like Im just eating enough to survive for another hour. I never feel full or satisfied.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Doesnt age play a factor in maintenance calorie allottment?

of course, but it still sounds low to me. I could be way off though, hah. if this formula has been working for you so far then it's probably pretty accurate.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    There is a formula, you can multiply your weight by your activity factor a figure the needed calories. When I was younger I used a factor of 12, but now I use a factor of ten as my metabalism has slowed down. THis may not be an exact science but it has always worked for me.

Have you used the calculator on this site? I think that's pretty much what it does BUT if you are exercising that much, then I don't think even the "active" factor would include all the extra calories you are burning up, so you are running way below maintenance. I also believe that when you have surgery, you body is healing and has a higher demand in the short term (especially if you haven't changed your activity level)

I know that you are concerned about sabbotaging all your hard work, but try playing with the numbers here and see what they tell you - and try eating the 1800 cals/day that satisfy you, as long as it's healthy food. You won't balloon up to 180 lbs. At best if it is too much, you may start to see some "creep" up,but a close eye on the scale and your clothes will let you know that you need to readjust before it gets out of hand.

You have had great success, congratulations....it's going to be a bit of a re-education for you now to move to maintenance, but don't be too hard on yourself.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I'm 43, 5'2" and 115. My maintenance calories are currently 1410 per this site (and many others!).

I also workout strenuously everyday. But at this weight/height, it is actually difficult to burn calories. I burn about 50% of what MFP says I would burn for many activities per my HRM. So right now, even when eating all my exercise calories, I hardly can eat anything above about 1700 calories a day, and that's only with a tough high impact cardio workout lasting about an hour.

It's tough because, unfortunately, we live in a society where high calorie foods are so prevalent. I mentioned this on another thread on this site, but recently I attended a catered luncheon. The lunch looked pretty innocuous when it was set in front of me--a turkey and cheese croissant sandwich, a side of pasta salad and some fruit. But looking at it closely--including the butter and mayo on the sandwich--and doing some quick calculations, I determined that the plate probably had about 1000 calories on it. It is ridiculous, but that's the society we have to adapt to living in.

So here's what I'm learning. I'm not hungry all the time as long as I really focus on eating the right foods. Yes, I'm hungry for my meals, but that's a good thing. But I keep my high calorie foods to a minimum. For instance, I love peanut butter. Not enough good things can be said about peanut butter in my opinion, but it is very high in calories. And, frankly, it doesn't do that much to curb my hunger. So I make sure I eat it in conjunction with things that DO curb my hunger, like whole grains. And even at that, I limit myself to 1 tbsp a day and 2 at the most. I also limit my carbs to a certain degree because, again, they have more calories. I focus more on eating proteins, including leaner proteins like turkey, where I get more bang for my buck in terms of calories. And for dinner, I always have HUGE salad because it fills me up, and veggies aren't high in calories.

So it can be done without starving to death but, yes, you really have to focus on what you eat. I make sure I give myself things I like everyday (like the peanut butter) so I don't feel like I'm on a diet (because I'm not on a diet anymore....I'm maintaining). Some nights, I add things like dried fruit to my salad and while some would say I shouldn't do that because dried fruit is high in sugar (and calories), I figure it is better to eat a few dried cranberries than it is to throw my hands in the air and go out for a piece of chocolate cake. I also eat chocolate (I love dark chocolate covered almonds and blueberries), but only 100-200 calories worth (because that's what fits into my daily allowance)....not a Snicker's bar worth. So I suggest finding things that you enjoy, and adding them to your days but within that allowance.

Again, I understand how tough this is. But don't let the outside influences of society--those that try to convince you that it's okay to eat pizza everyday or go out for dinner every other night or eat a huge ice cream cone weekly--keep you from creating a lifestyle that YOU can enjoy AND be healthy maintaining because I am finding that it is possible to enjoy food, enjoy life and live on fewer calories than I ever thought possible.

Best of luck!
  • Anise6789
    Options
    A very nice post Thank you,
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I'm only 30 and I fear having to live with being hungry for the rest of my life in order to stay fit and thin. What exactly do you surgeries limit your from doing? Have you tried yoga or pilates? It’s not exactly cardio but it is exercise and it does burn calories.