How much exercise do you count?

Options
How much exercise do you count as actual exercise. I try to input only my gym work outs, where I'm sweating bullets and really feeling the burn.
But I bike and/or walk daily as a means of transportation. I never count my walking and only put my bike riding in when i go close to going over on my calories.

And i've read some threads where people include cleaning the house and folding laundry.
So I was just wondering what some MFP count as exercise calories?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I count walking and biking if go specifically for exercise, not if it's part of my daily routine. I count jogging/running,strength training etc. I don't count cleaning or work( my job is pretty physical) as those are routine and not extra activities. I do count jumping rope with my daughter, I do it fairly often but I get a good workout from it.
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't count the extra walking I do at work because I do it on a regular basis but if I were to go on a walk, or walk on the treadmill, that's extra and I'll count that. Otherwise, I count something as in "i'm going to go work out" regardless of what I do in that time.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I count only elliptical and real gym stuff. The FitBit adjusts for my general activity which is walking the dog, cleaning the house and such
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you put on your normal daily activity , if you put sedentary then it would count as work out. But if you put active or lightly active then it would be just part of your normal daily activity.
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I count two things:

When I walk my dog [because we go on long walks]
    When I am at the gym
  • knl124
    knl124 Posts: 44
    Options
    I only count gym workouts.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you put on your normal daily activity , if you put sedentary then it would count as work out. But if you put active or lightly active then it would be just part of your normal daily activity.
    ^^^^ This!
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    I agree with Mina.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i count gym visits and workout videos... i only count cleaning the house if i've got crazy upbeat music playing and i'm dancing around and getting my heart rate up in the process.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    I count when I take my dog out for a walk or go swimming because I do that in a specific time period and for exercise.
    I don't count any other walking I do in the day because I think it's just normal activity and not strenuous.
    :)
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    have to agree with Mina :) Don't count anything that you have always done daily... You count anything extra. Remember, the goal is to burn extra calories so that your weight goes down (or you maintain. .. not sure where you are.. :) ) ...
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I count the cardio, whether jazzercise or walking or elliptical, (stuff I wear my HRM for). I also count Tai Chi, but I only give myself 15 calories for it as a placeholder so i can track how often I practice.
    I don't count weight training, walks at lunch, or swimming.
    I don't count house cleaning or walking at work.
  • tinajoe628
    tinajoe628 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agreed. only count the activities that you do that are not part of your daily routine, and you do for calorie burn.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I count exercise as exercise!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input, i appreciate it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I count any extensive, fairly high speed walking I do whether it's in a store, doing errands in general, or when I'm doing it solely for the workout. I also count the weights I do (in the strength category, so I guess technically on here they're not counting) and in-place jogging I do while watching TV. I don't have a gym membership (and can't have one due to a disorder) so I try to move as much as I can in as many ways I can for the sole purpose of exercise. I don't count cleaning, chores, or if I'm walking very slow around a store looking.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I occassionally count housework, but only if I've done more than normal - like tackle a big job (re-arranging stuff) / spring cleaning type of housework, change seasons, or scrub my car - which is not in my normal realm of cleaning.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This!

^^^^^^
    Yes, this.
    If it was something you were doing before you started to make life changes, don't count it. You were doing it before and not getting the results you wanted. That means you've got to add more to it. If you count what you were already doing, you'll fool yourself into thinking you should be losing, when you body was already adjusted to that activity.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I only count exercise when I work out and break a sweat.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    this^^^ i Mainly only count my exercise dvds, walks where i'm walking for a work out, and when I go to a club and dance.