In the water section it uses 'cups' as a measurement. Is thi

Options

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It is an American convention. A cup is 8 ounces. A liter is 33.8 ounces. A liter is, therefore, approximately 4.25 cups.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water a day its unnatural LOL
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces, which is actually 240 ml, not 250.

As for the water counter, pretty sure it's just "cups," not measuring cups, just whatever cup you use to drink. If you have a 1 liter bottle and drink 4 a day, each one is a "cup." That's how I've always interpreted it.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think that drinking that much water is dangerous. And expensive.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what measurement it is, whatsoever. The water counter is not tied to any other feature in MFP and is merely there for you to use for your own record. It says 'cups' but you can assume whatever you want.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces, which is actually 240 ml, not 250.

As for the water counter, pretty sure it's just "cups," not measuring cups, just whatever cup you use to drink. If you have a 1 liter bottle and drink 4 a day, each one is a "cup." That's how I've always interpreted it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

there are so many cups

japanese cup = 200ml.
    why do people make life so hard. 1 cup is enough.
  • athensguy
    Options
    http://goo.gl/6lLFd

http://goo.gl/jK8uB

1 cup is 8 fl oz is 236.588237 ml
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    worldmap.gif

Green is metric black is who uses the old imperial measurements.

Apart from the US , the other countries are Burma and Liberia.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You know you are Canadian when....

You drive 3 kilometers to put 20 liters of gas in your car, and stop in a McDonald's for a quarter pounder and a 20oz Coke. On the way home, you stop at the beer store for a 2-4, and the LCBO for a 40-pounder. While at the beer store, someone asks for directions, and you start off by saying, "ok, take a left, and then drive for about 5 minutes, then turn right".

You pay for your dinner with a toonie and a loonie, and drive back home in your Honda Civic, which gets 40 miles per gallon.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Expensive? Really?
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And now for something completely different...
    There Is no reason to drink 8 cups of water per day. That is there is no scientific or medical reason for this admonition. Drink enough such that your urine is almost clear. Sorta straw-yellow. Really. Just look at your pee. There are some medical conditions which call for super-hydration, bot not for most of us. Seriously, look at your pee!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There Is no reason to drink 8 cups of water per day. That is there is no scientific or medical reason for this admonition. Drink enough such that your urine is almost clear. Sorta straw-yellow. Really. Just look at your pee. There are some medical conditions which call for super-hydration, bot not for most of us. Seriously, look at your pee!

For me, that's around 2.5 litres a day, so around 10 cups... So saying "there is no reason to drink 8 cups of water per day" is just silly. It varies far too much for each person.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    8 oz = 1 cup :smile:
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    what kind of water r u drinking Tap is free;) and can be filtered..LOL
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm saying you can't put a number on how many cups to drink. You may need more you may need less,
    Also too much water can be harmful if it contains even low levels of contaminants. I would never drink right cups from the tap. Better re-filter it.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    1 cup equals 250mL just in case you wanted to know..
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Exactly what my doctor told me!!! Too much hydration waters down your electrolytes and throws the body out of balance. As we get older our bladder looses control and elasticity and drinking a lot means too many and too often trips to the bathroom. Loosing sleep at night is not good.either.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Do not force yourself to drink more water than you are thirsty for. Its a waste of time and puts undo stress on your kidneys.
  • 41degsouth
    Options
    And the accompanying advice is, if you *do* feel thirsty for a huge amount of water, that is a symptom associated with diabetes, and you should certainly discuss it with a doctor.
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    I view 8 cups a day = 8 8 fl oz glasses per day. I have a water jug I fill and refill throughout the day that's 72 fl oz total. I'm getting anywhere between 72-100 fl oz in a day. It's awesome! Of course, that means I frequently use the restroom, but it's better than sitting around doing nothing!