Weight Lifting Plateau?

Options
Is there such a thing as a weight lifting plateau?

Here's the deal, I've been in weight losing mode since September and am down 25 pounds. Been lifting and doing cardio throughout the process. And been able to steadily increase the weights I've been lifing on a regular basis. I'm 5 pounds from my weight goal and am thinking of trying to do some bulking once I get down to 160.

But it seems I've hit a plateau with weights. I haven't been able to increase my bench press weight in 3 weeks. I've increased my other weights some but not nearly as rapidly as I'd been doing.

So, if you are in calorie deficit, can you reach a point where you're unable to continue increasing weight/resistance in the strength conditioning? And if I change from calorie deficit (1200calorie/day baseline) to a calorie surplus (maybe 2500?) can I expect to go back to increasing my lifting capacity?

Replies

• Luthorcrow
    Options
    Yes you will eventually hit a plateau based on your genetics on how long and hard you have been training but you have not been lifting nearly long enough to have hit your genetic potential (think more like 2-3 years). If have been a strict diet like 1200 calories then yes that will keep you from gaining strength and muscle.

Also that a is pretty low calorie number for a guy and one you should not do for very long. I would consider adding 500 calories to your diet and see how that goes for a week or two. Then consider adding another 500 calories about two weeks later see if that doesn't jump start your lifting without throwing of your scale too much.

Keep in mind at some point you will move from a restricted diet to eating what you need to fuel your activity. You should also you need to keep your protein content up. At least 25-30% of your diet.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    eat more. your body can't sustain muscle growth with no fuel.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Change your workout, which you should do anyways every 12 weeks or so.