A Question for Those Who Have Lost More Than 25 Pounds

Options
So it is this - what exercises have worked best for you? Did you do a mix of cardio and strength training? I hear a lot of stuff about not doing just cardio, that your body gets bored with it and you burn less calories... I want to know what has worked for you.

The thing is, I have lost 25 pounds. I'm on my way to lose the next 25 to get to my first real goal. I have done a lot of things, like working out doing cardio, some strength, eating right (and wrong sometimes...), sleeping better, etc. It worked over a year and a half. But now that I'm past that first 25, I need to be more serious. I need better work outs. And this is where you all come in - the experienced ones.

I'm sure this thread would be more than helpful to a lot of people, so this is why I'm asking now.

What has worked for you?

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lbs before starting here. I began by doing a weight day, then a cardio day, then a day off. The rest during this pattern helped me lose weight as a newbie better than exercising everyday. But......to each their own.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    When I first started my exercise was 30 min walking and playing softball. Nothing else.

About a month ago I went back to the gym and started doing C25K program and using the New Rules of Lifting for Women workout for weight training. Haven't done either long enough for me to be able to advise on its effect on weight loss.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Cardio is what made me lost the weight I have lost. I am trying to add in other exercises tho.
  • emfilomena
    Options
    Hey! I've lost 40lbs thus far and am still losing. I highly recommend cardio & strength training. Why? Because people who have more muscle burn more calories while dormant than those lacking in muscle. Sure, cardio is great for endurance, heart health, and burning fat, but muscle will burn more fat and calories! Did you know that by doing strength training, you'll burn even more calories those 24 hours following your workout (if you do enough and challenge yourself)?

I go running, or use a machine called the Arc Trainer, which kicks your butt : P I have a Planet Fitness membership, and I hardly see people use the Arc Trainer. A lot of people hop on the elliptical, and if that works for them, great, but I hardly saw a difference when I was using the elliptical. Since switching to actual running, my legs have slimmed down and I've lost more weight overall.

I do all kinds of strength training. Start where you're comfortable! I set new goals every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks to use more weight than before. Nothing feels better than reaching new goals that are totally attainable, even if they're small. : ) Some people enjoy using machines more than free weights. Ultimately, it's up to you and what works best for YOU.

What you eat is also very important! Lots of protein! If you want to build muscle, you need to make sure you're getting adequate carbs and protein. After a strength training workout, or any workout in general, I make sure to get some carbs and some protein. Before a workout (roughly an hour before), I make sure to get straight protein- eggs, lean meats, protein shakes, protein bars, etc. I love Luna bars, they are delicious! : )

Congrats on reaching 25lbs weight loss and good luck on the rest of your goals!
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I do mostly cardio I burn lots of calories and it makes me feel better. I do however do other things like workout tapes, weights, hiking, and classes at the gym. I try to keep things mixed up so my body never gets comfortable with the workout. Keep up the good work.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lbs before starting here. I began by doing a weight day, then a cardio day, then a day off. The rest during this pattern helped me lose weight as a newbie better than exercising everyday. But......to each their own.

I like this plan... I think that I might try doing that. Thanks!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite to 25 yet but close enough. lol I meet with a trainer 3 days a week for 30 min of strength training. I also do 2-3 hours of cardio 3-4 days a week. Usually the strength and the cardio in the same day. I do usually 60 min on the stationary bike, 60 min on the treadmill and then another 30 on either the rowing machine or the stairmaster.
  • FitinFiveMonths
    Options
    I've lost almost 35 pounds since last May and my first 20 was through just dieting, drinking more water, and walking lightly everyday. I took a little break and now I'm back on the weight loss train. I lost 7 pounds my first month back from hitting the gym with a combination of cardio and strength exercises, along with everything I was doing before.

I would change up your workout routine, to keep your body guessing and to keep you from getting bored. Run one day, do the elliptical another, and hit the bike every once and awhile. Maybe try a couple of step classes or spin classes to get your heart really pumping. Also, KEEP STRENGTH training. A pound of fat burns about 5 to 10 calories per hour, while muscle can burn up to 50!

Besides, as you lose weight you'll want to keep toned, and it will help if there is already muscle there! I know lots of stick thin girls with lots of cellulite, because they have no muscle! Hope some of this has helped!
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    Hey! I've lost 40lbs thus far and am still losing. I highly recommend cardio & strength training. Why? Because people who have more muscle burn more calories while dormant than those lacking in muscle. Sure, cardio is great for endurance, heart health, and burning fat, but muscle will burn more fat and calories! Did you know that by doing strength training, you'll burn even more calories those 24 hours following your workout (if you do enough and challenge yourself)?

I go running, or use a machine called the Arc Trainer, which kicks your butt : P I have a Planet Fitness membership, and I hardly see people use the Arc Trainer. A lot of people hop on the elliptical, and if that works for them, great, but I hardly saw a difference when I was using the elliptical. Since switching to actual running, my legs have slimmed down and I've lost more weight overall.

I do all kinds of strength training. Start where you're comfortable! I set new goals every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks to use more weight than before. Nothing feels better than reaching new goals that are totally attainable, even if they're small. : ) Some people enjoy using machines more than free weights. Ultimately, it's up to you and what works best for YOU.

What you eat is also very important! Lots of protein! If you want to build muscle, you need to make sure you're getting adequate carbs and protein. After a strength training workout, or any workout in general, I make sure to get some carbs and some protein. Before a workout (roughly an hour before), I make sure to get straight protein- eggs, lean meats, protein shakes, protein bars, etc. I love Luna bars, they are delicious! : )

Congrats on reaching 25lbs weight loss and good luck on the rest of your goals!

This was very helpful! When I was in high school, I took a weights class. We did arms one day, and then legs the other day. I have been trying to do that when I'm at the gym, but most of the time it's hard to control the urge to do both. I think that I should set up a weight lifting plan... thanks for the advice!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 5 times that amount -

Do a mix of both. They are both important and both will benefit you, in different ways.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs on this site in 10 months doing strength training 3x a week and 20-30 minutes of cardio (usually elliptical trainer) 2-3 days a week with 1-2 rest days. I tried to eat healthy most of the time (mostly clean with 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein) - though there were times I completely went hog wild and ate terribly - but I'd always get back on track sooner or later.

Time and consistency - that's all you need!

Oh, when I got stuck, I found upping my calories for a month or so and then dropping them back down, got the ball rolling again - especially those last stubborn 10 lbs!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I started out working out 3 or 4 days a week at Curves. It is a mix of Cardio and Strength Training in one 30 minute work out. Then I added walking when I was able to walk with less pain. As the Pain in my knees got better I walked further and faster. I reached my Goal Weight in October 2010. In the past 6 months or so I have added the Elliptical, Recumbent Bike, and (occasionally!) the Treadmill to my Maintenance. I still do Curves 3 or 4 times a week.
    :ohwell: People say all the time that you have to change up your exercise, and that Curves is not a "Real" Work Out. All I can say is, It worked OK for me.
  • yoli_bee
    Options
    I lost the bulk of my weight by doing cardio, mostly running on the elliptical for an hour about 3 times a week. It wasn't until I'd lost about 45 lbs, that I started to incorporate other stuff (mandatory weight training, aerobics, dance classes, pilates, yoga, etc) into my workouts. I think it's best to get the weight training in early on so you tone as you lose, but as for losing weight, just being persistent and dedicated will get you there.
  • CoachSid
    Options
    I have lost 115 pounds, lost over 50 before I began MFP. I do cardio every day, even on the days I do weights. I may only do 30 - 40 minutes AFTER the weights but I think it works best. Doing just one or the other will work but to maximize I found I had to do both
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I had to lose 30 pounds before attempting exercise. I walked for about 5 weeks then started aerobic exercise through Netflix. I got an elliptical machine in January and now I do both. I use hand weights sometimes, but never really got into the weight training yet. I'm sure that will start in the next month since my husband is losing weight too.

I exercise 7 days a week, if I don't my back gets really tight and my knees lock up. I love the feeling of working out every day. It clears my head, increases my energy, and puts me on the right track every morning.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am biased towards cardio, personally. I do agree that a combination is good and if I liked strength training I'd do it. At some point I will do it but for now I am successful with just cardio.

Good luck and congratulations!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I did and still do 3 simple things. Eat properly, water aerobics and walking. I work out 5 - 6 days a week. That's it. nothing fancy, just good old fashioned hard work and consistency.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58 lbs. since Oct. 2010. Actually lost it all by Aug. 2011 and have been in a plateau since then for many reasons but I'm still working to lose about 10 more. I've done it by doing a combination of cardio (running, biking both stationary and trail riding) and I also get a lot of strength training. I've used Wii Active 2 for almost a year now and it's worked great. My husband, who does P90X has watched my workouts while doing his own and says it really is a modified P90X workout w/the weights/bands and core/lower body workouts. I also have started to use kettlebells and just ordered a series of DVDs for this particular type of weights.

Hope this helps! Good luck on the next 25!! :)
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    I liked that idea, doing cardio after a strength workout... and I'm wondering if that would help burn more in the long run. Any suggestions to what sort of cardio? I love the elliptical, and running is still a struggle... but I think I'm able to get to 5 min running without getting tired. That makes me mad... running and then not wanting to.

What have you all done to help yourself run longer?
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have mostly done cardio exercise, walking the treadmill and aerobics. Just a few weeks ago I invested in Kettle worx, a kettlebell weight and videos that combine weights and cardio. It has really helped me tone down and burn calories at the same time.