HELP i cant run....

Options
So i have used all the machines at the gym..i did 31 miles on the wave(like skating) ive done the max level on the stairmaster for over an hour..ive burned 900 calories on the elliptical and so i figured running would be so easy for me..ahhhhhhhh in 2 weeks im doing my first 5k for "race for the cure" and im a cardio junkie so i figured no biggie. I got on the treadmill and darnit i lasted about 40 seconds running. The thing that stops me is that i cant breath. Its only a matter of seconds before im completely outta breath. can someone help me please :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    So i have used all the machines at the gym..i did 31 miles on the wave(like skating) ive done the max level on the stairmaster for over an hour..ive burned 900 calories on the elliptical and so i figured running would be so easy for me..ahhhhhhhh in 2 weeks im doing my first 5k for "race for the cure" and im a cardio junkie so i figured no biggie. I got on the treadmill and darnit i lasted about 40 seconds running. The thing that stops me is that i cant breath. Its only a matter of seconds before im completely outta breath. can someone help me please :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? Usually people start off at a pace to fast to maintain.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yup, slow your roll.

Do intervals. If you must start small, do so. 30 sec running, 1 min walking. Repeat ad naseum. Build up slowly from there.
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Number 1.... chew gum!

2... two breaths in and two breaths out

3.... keep the same speed.... start at 2.9 mph (3 min)
    up it to about 4.5 to 5 maybe 6 mpg.....

ANd keep it there.... as long as you have air 2 in 2 out.. you'll be good!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    running is HARD WORK. when I started a year ago I could only go about 30 seconds at a time. I felt pathetic, but I slowly built it up and I can now go at a moderate pace for 15 minutes straight! (which I know doesn't sound like that long... but is HUGE to me!) So I work in intervals. walk 5 mins, run 15, walk another 5, run 15, and finish with 5 minutes of walking. I find the jostleing around of running really tires my body and joints much more than cycling or the elliptical, but that's gotten a lot better since I started doing intense strength training.

anyway, long story short- work in intervals and slowly you'll get better and better at it. I love to run now :bigsmile:
  • EcHoOoOoO
    Options
    How fast are you running? Usually people start off at a pace to fast to maintain.

Well i figured im walking fast and ok with it at 3.8 then i bumped up to about 4.8 and im just jogging at that point and just cant do it..ive even tried jogging around the track at the gym and cant do it. Is there anyway to controll my breathing better
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the running, can't seem to get there..I swear the only way I am running is if the person chasing me is bigger than me. I am going to have to try the 30 second run + one minute walk thing though, running has always been my personal little devil..no mater how many times I try, I don't stick with it. Love most other cardio and I am in decent shape, so it the 30 second thing doesn't work, I am officially giving up and calling myself a walker. How long did you stick with the short intervals until you began running longer times? Notice how nicely I highjack the thread...:blushing:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Well...as a person who went from sittin on their butt doing nothing to be able to run 5k in about a month and a half Ill tell you tips I've picked up along the way to help you conserve energy and run to your potential:
    1) Pace, not the salsa, the rhythm, keep a nice slow at first,steady pace
    2)breathing..its ALL about the breathing....deep breath in through the nose, out through the mouth...DONT let yourself hyperventilate with the quick short breaths in and out through the mouth. That will tire you out right away
    3) Your body- make sure you arent hiking your shoulders up to your ears when you run and make sure you dont ball your hands into a fist..these things cause you to use excess energy in places that arent necessary and you should be focusing your energy on the legs....bend your arms but let your hands be loose.
    4) MIND OVER MATTER...I have run 5K at least 4 times now and yet some days.....i get down my block and my body wants to just give up.....seriously..i KNOW i can run 5k and my body tries to defeat me. So i just keep pushing myself and pushing and pushing and i refuse to give up!!!!! Usually when I hit the 3.5k mark my adrenaline kicks in hardcore and I am sooo determined to finish that nothing stops me....

GOOD LUCK!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I've been working on interval running for a LONG time now, like a year. And like you GIBride, I keep giving up and starting over for one reason or another.

I'm to the point now where I can do 3-5 minutes running (haha, "running" at 4.8 top speed) with 2-3 min of walking in between.

Running is my personal devil too, but one I really want to conquer.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Number 1.... chew gum!

CHEW GUM???? :noway: I'd totally inhale it and choke. Unless there is a cute medic in the vicinity, I cannot have any gum in my mouth! :laugh:
  • EcHoOoOoO
    Options
    Well...as a person who went from sittin on their butt doing nothing to be able to run 5k in about a month and a half Ill tell you tips I've picked up along the way to help you conserve energy and run to your potential:
    2)breathing..its ALL about the breathing....deep breath in through the nose, out through the mouth...DONT let yourself hyperventilate with the quick short breaths in and out through the mouth. That will tire you out right away
    3) Your body- make sure you arent hiking your shoulders up to your ears when you run and make sure you dont ball your hands into a fist..these things cause you to use excess energy in places that arent necessary and you should be focusing your energy on the legs....bend your arms but let your hands be loose.
    4) MIND OVER MATTER...I have run 5K at least 4 times now and yet some days.....i get down my block and my body wants to just give up.....seriously..i KNOW i can run 5k and my body tries to defeat me. So i just keep pushing myself and pushing and pushing and i refuse to give up!!!!! Usually when I hit the 3.5k mark my adrenaline kicks in hardcore and I am sooo determined to finish that nothing stops me....

GOOD LUCK!!

thanks soooooo much. im going to definately try all those things tomorrow morning!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

GOOD LUCK!!

thanks soooooo much. im going to definately try all those things tomorrow morning!

Be gentle with the breathing and pushing yourself..... The last time I really ran was in 1995. Gym class. Running laps. Pushing through the breathing pain. Woke up on the floor. I had passed out. Just listen to your body. When I run now, I admittedly push myself but I know my own limits. :flowerforyou:
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options

Well i figured im walking fast and ok with it at 3.8 then i bumped up to about 4.8 and im just jogging at that point and just cant do it..ive even tried jogging around the track at the gym and cant do it. Is there anyway to controll my breathing better
    Yes...you literally have to separate your body from your mind...i know this sounds ridiculous but you literally have to calm your mind down and mentally control your breathing...the MINUTE you take your mind off your breathing....your screwed...hahahahaha..thats my advice on what i've learned anyways......Your breathing should actually be very calm...if it isnt..you might push too hard and hyperventilate and pass out!hahaha...You have to have this calmness to your internal dialogue when you run!! Talk to yourself and calm yourself down....
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    ..I swear the only way I am running is if the person chasing me is bigger than me.

HAHAHAHA, :laugh: noooo doubt!! The only time I can run is if its for my life, lol. Even then, I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack before they got a chance to get me, LOL.

Cheers to walking! :drinker:

And cheers to those who CAN run, lol. :drinker:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Number 1.... chew gum!

CHEW GUM???? :noway: I'd totally inhale it and choke. Unless there is a cute medic in the vicinity, I cannot have any gum in my mouth! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Totally thinking the same thing, although not the cute medic part...nice add on. I am the girl who doesn't raise her arms during complicated parts of step class for fear of killing myself on the step trying to raise arms and lift feet in two seperate yet coordinated movements.:noway:
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Running is difficult....you should start at a very comfortable jog and also learn how to breathe properly and work your way up slowly...
    It took me a very long time to be able to run a mile straight without stopping.
    I play soccer (indoor) and do alot of sprinting but its not consistent....
    Running consistently without stopping is something that takes time...
    You can do it just dont expect it all at once....
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I agree with the gum chewing while running. I don't run yet but when I do my cardio I always chew gum . It helps me to regulate me breathing some how. I thought I was the only person who did this and just considered myself to be a weirdo. I do have another weird mouth thing, I do not get brain freeze when I eat anything icy. I think brain freezing is a myth. Either that or I'm a weirdo. LOL :laugh:
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options

GOOD LUCK!!

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Well dont chew the gum the whole time.... Like <smack smack> thing .... Just have it in your mouth... on the side between your teeth....

It truly helps me !!!! I started at the gym January.... And i do the crosstrainer Monday, Wed., & Fridays...
    Before i couldnt even make it 1/4 of a block!! :noway:
    Now if i get on the treadmill i can do about 1 1/2 miles... Maybe more.... but I KNOW I CAN!
    ALSO ... wear a heart rate monitor and STAY

Putting things in your mouth causes the salivary glands to secret more saliva. The body does this in response to foreign matter being placed in the mouth. Increased saliva production, which is normally associated with eating, send a signal to the rest of your digestive system that food is on its way. When the food doesn't arrive, the system is still ready to go, which gives off the same basic signals as an empty stomach. So, your brain receives hungry signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    Well dont chew the gum the whole time.... Like <smack smack> thing .... Just have it in your mouth... on the side between your teeth....

It truly helps me !!!! I started at the gym January.... And i do the crosstrainer Monday, Wed., & Fridays...
    Before i couldnt even make it 1/4 of a block!! :noway:
    Now if i get on the treadmill i can do about 1 1/2 miles... Maybe more.... but I KNOW I CAN!
    ALSO ... wear a heart rate monitor and STAY at the same pace the whole time!!

Putting things in your mouth causes the salivary glands to secret more saliva. The body does this in response to foreign matter being placed in the mouth. Increased saliva production, which is normally associated with eating, send a signal to the rest of your digestive system that food is on its way. When the food doesn't arrive, the system is still ready to go, which gives off the same basic signals as an empty stomach. So, your brain receives hungry signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger