Microwave popcorn vs. "homemade"

Options
Soooo...I just realized that the microwave popcorn I've been eating has almost 500 calories!!!! I accidentally bought the "homestyle" one from Target and looked on the back of the box after eating almost a whole bag.

I think the serving info is confusing...it says:
Serving size: 3T (3T = 4 cups popped)
Servings per bag: about 3
Calories for 3T unpopped (why would anyone care what the calories are for it unpopped??): 160
Calories per cup popped: 40

Sooo...does that mean that one bag will yield 12 cups of popped popcorn?

In any case, in the interest of respecting Earth Day, I'm not using anything disposable today, so I'll be making my own popcorn on the stove. I'm trying to remember how to do it...anyone know? And how do you count calories for it?

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Soooo...I just realized that the microwave popcorn I've been eating has almost 500 calories!!!! I accidentally bought the "homestyle" one from Target and looked on the back of the box after eating almost a whole bag.

Calories for 3T unpopped (why would anyone care what the calories are for it unpopped??): 160

In any case, in the interest of respecting Earth Day, I'm not using anything disposable today, so I'll be making my own popcorn on the stove. I'm trying to remember how to do it...anyone know? And how do you count calories for it?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is in a big pot. Put your oil in the bottom just enough to cover. Let it heat up until you see wisps of smoke. Pour in the kernels just a single layer on the bottom. Cover. Shake over heat until popping slows way down (like in the microwave).

As far as calories, I have no bloody idea. I'm the worst calorie counter on this forum. :laugh:
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Buy an air popper, even less calories because you don't use oil! It's tastes great... you can even add I can't believe it's not butter and salt if you want, or I love to add parmesan cheese. :smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

u measure it unpopped the calories should be on bag...so if 3tsp is a serving then u end up with like 2 cups just an example....u have to account for any oil u use as well u will prob overestimate that actual consumption because some will sit in the pan but its better to be over then under ..lol
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oh Honey, I have been using my air popper and jolly time white pop corn and its quick easy hardly any clean up and 5 Cups popped is only 100 Cals. I make it and munch on it through out a days time it gives me the satifaction of having something to chew on. I don't use any butter so that helps with the fact if any is left over I can bag it up and have it for later the next day. I know pop corn isn't very appitizing by its self but neither is losing weight:noway:

Kelly:heart: