For those of you that walk around a lot at work

Options
Do you log it? And if so what do you log it as? I work at a deli in a grocery store and im constantly walking and only get to sit down during my ten minute break. I figure it must be some sort of excersize because at the end of the night my back, feet, and legs hurt imensly so it must be doing something. I was going to log half of the the hours I worked(4.5) as "vigorous cleaning" but wouldn't this be like cheating? :/

Replies

• lhabedank
    lhabedank Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    this would be put in your settings. it asks you what you do for work (sit all day, standing, walking around etc) when you choose the closest to what describes your work duties mfp adjusts your normal daily calorie burn and allows you to consume more calories than if you had a sedentary job. So to answer your question, no, you would not, count that as exercise.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It's not exercise if you do it everyday.

You are logging exercise as something you do in addition to your regular lifestyle so that you can calculate your caloric deficit or surplus.

e.g. If you currently eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight and you currently walk around at work and you go ahead and log that as exercise, the calculator is going to tell you that you now have x amount of calories that you can eat back.

So you eat extra calories and you're actually in a surplus compared to what you have normally being eating, i.e. you pick up weight or you offset the REAL exercise that you are doing.

So yes, it's cheating :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i don't log it. i just set my activity level to lightly active.
  • Kate_zumba
    Kate_zumba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But is that assuming people work for a lifestyle? I typically only work for two days a week(part time job, full time student), but i also typically do zumba two days a week. Do i not count zumba as well? Do i up my profile from "sedetary" to "more active" because my high energy job that i only do two times a week and the rest of the time I sit at a desk and study? Im confused :/
  • kjmusicuploud
    Options
    I'm a dog groomer and I'm on my feet, walking, bending, lifting, etc. my whole shift. Since my heart rate isn't really elevated, I usually log it as walking (either at a slow pace or leisurely pace). Then I subtract 1.5 hours from my whole shift to account for times I'm just standing around or when I'm actually sitting. I may be low-balling. I feel it counts as exercise.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    But is that assuming people work for a lifestyle? I typically only work for two days a week(part time job, full time student), but i also typically do zumba two days a week. Do i not count zumba as well? Do i up my profile from "sedetary" to "more active" because my high energy job that i only do two times a week and the rest of the time I sit at a desk and study? Im confused :/

You are over complicating it. Don't count your walking at work and rather just take those burned calories as a bonus.
    Log your actual exercise at the gym, and eat some (but not all) back. The reason to not eat all back is because however you calculate burned calories, whether on the machine or using a HRM, it will be over the ACTUAL calories burned.

It's up to you, of course, you can choose to either see results quicker, or slower :)
  • lhabedank
    lhabedank Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    well, you didnt mention that that job was only 2 days a week. if you have your settings set for sedentary then I would think it would be okay to mark down your work time as something along the lines of walking or cleaning, but if you are not seeing the weight lose you expect you should adjust it.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ya, change your settings to lightly active from sedentary.

I only work 3 hours a day as a waitress so I haven't even changed mine to lightly active, because it's so minimal to me, I don't consider it work at all really :(

But I also do not log that as exercise.

I do however log my walking to the bus stop as there and back is 2 km.

Hope this helps
  • rebeccafrs
    Options
    I log my walk to the train station and back but not what I would burn at work :)
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Yes but people have days off, so it's assuming you burn those calories every single day. I put down half of what I burn at work because I don't walk or run at all in my free time, I do different exercises. I work at a MTO kitchen and we ****ing RUN to get all our **** done. That's exercise. :P