My Favorite (Simple) Crock Pot Beef Roast Recipe

Options
finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
Before you go to bed, place a cheap ($2.99/lbs or less), tough, 5 pound beef roast in the crock pot and pour in enough wine (red or white— but red is better) to almost cover the roast.

I use boxed wine for this purpose— and Franzia Chianti is only around $12.99 for 5 liters, so you can do a lot of cooking with that.

Let it cook, on high, while you sleep.

The next morning, turn it down to low and add one large can or two small cans of cream of mushroom soup.

That’s all you need to do.

By dinner time it will be fantastic.

18 hours in a crock pot— with wine— will turn ANY cut of beef into a tender and delicious meal.

To serve, break up the roast in the crock pot with a fork (it will fall apart) and then spoon the beef with wine and mushroom gravy over shirataki noodles or rice or a potato.

Alternately, you can place a 40 calorie corn tortilla in a dry frying pan (or one lightly sprayed with cooking spray) and top with salad/taco veggies and crock pot beef to make a tostada.

Optional ingredients that can be added in the morning when you pour in the cream of mushroom soup (I usually use all of these):

1) Rosemary and thyme (a pretty goodly amount).
2) Chopped green onions (at least 3 stocks).
3) Sliced mushrooms (4-8 ounces).
4) Salt and pepper.
5) Garlic powder and onion powder. (Or fresh garlic, if you have some handy.)

There is no such thing as too much garlic.

No. Such. Thing.

If you’re counting calories (which I'm sure you are) you can put a half pound of the beef and gravy on top of shirataki noodles and still be under 500 calories— or on top of a medium sized microwaved potato and still be under 610 calories.

Add a salad with some fat free dressing and you’ve got your meal!

If you want to serve the beef over a potato another option is to place the potatoes in the crock pot, in the morning, when you add the other ingredients. They’ll be wonderful by dinner time.

If you'd like to check out my low cal recipes please check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

Enjoy!

-crockpotloverchelle

Replies