Weights at the Gym?

Options
Okay so in the cardio section I feel comfortable as I know exactly what I'm doing.

In the weights section... I'm lost. I've had the employees make up a program and show me how to use the machines, but I still feel silly. I love using free weights, but I can never remember what to do & would feel rude to take my laptop and watch P90x or something.

Suggestions? Should I just wonder around the machines & deal with the stares and people asking if I need help? I'd probably have a panic attack!

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If there's anything you're unfamilar with, google or youtube the exercise first.

Go in prepared with a routine, 8-10 exercises in order, written down or inputted in your phone.

Refer to it if you don't know what to do next, even include a small picture or description of what each one is.

After half a dozen times or so, you'll be completely comfortable with them.

Then repeat in a months time when you switch up your routine.

I still look stuff up every week. Lots of things have different names, or variations.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can go with a friend who knows what they're doing to go with you? Or look at different exercises online a lot before you go.

I know its hard when you're not sure what you're doing. I would've been exactly the same when I first started had I not had my bf show me everything at the gym haha

If you're still not sure, why not ask somebody before they get the chance to ask if you need help. Just say you're a bit new to all this and would they mind showing you how to use it. Most people at the gym are really friendly and would be glad to help you. Pick someone who knows what they're doing, maybe you see them doing the exercise themselves, and as long as you don't ask them when they're busy (right in the middle of a set) you'll be fine :)
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Thanks I'll try looking stuff up and writing down, will still feel silly with the paper but have to start somewhere I guess :-/

Unfortunately I don't really have any friends lol
  • PeggysDad
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? There's some great apps like Jefit that you could easily use while there.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I do have an iPhone, will see what I can find in the app store, thanks!
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Stick to free weights for the most part anyways
    The machines are good if you dont have a spotter and a few others are ok. They are also good for injured/old people
    Most are there to make the gym look good, Why?

Because most people wouldn't go to the gym if it was all free weights.. They'd just workout at home.

Ya use your iphone as well I like to look up lots of stuff on youtube.
  • PeggysDad
    Options
    There's loads in there, not all good.

I'd recommend Jefit (not the pro, the extra features aren't worth the money) and Gym Goal (again, don't pay extra for the Plus, not worth it. Get the free one then do the in-app purchase to remove ads if the ads bother you).

Good luck.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I know the weight machines are there for marketing and are *mostly* useless, but people STARE at you like you're a crazy person if you use the free weights :(
  • Scorpiotwinkle
    Options
    I have seen the regular weight users get a small notebook out - they all need to keep up with what they are lifting. So you probably won't be the only one if you take notes or a small notebook. You will look "professional" and like you know what you are doing.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to ask, 99.9% of folks you encounter in the gym are nice people and to be blunt... fellahs are always happy to help a young damsel in distress... makes us feel all tough and stuff :)

If you really enjoy weight lifting try looking up a book called Starting Strength my Mark Rippetoe. It teaches barbell training for functional strength that can carry over it other things and you dont have to be using huge weights to benefit from it.
  • simples88
    Options
    I tend to go blank as well, I can never remember which ones to do. Thanks for the app advice!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've taken a notebook and pen round with me before! I assume any stares are from people going "what a brilliant idea - why didn't I think of that?" :smile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Dexy have you thought of NROLFW? Or another program done by others?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of paper that the system at my gym prints out for me.. It shows me exactly what machines/exercises to do, and I go around and do it.. Write down how many reps I did and if I changed the weight, and then I'm outta there. No one has looked at me strange because I have a piece of paper with me... So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Don't worry about people looking at you like you have three heads because you are doing free weights.. They are prob. staring because they want to be doing what you are doing and are just too scared to actually do it :)
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I know the weight machines are there for marketing and are *mostly* useless, but people STARE at you like you're a crazy person if you use the free weights :(

Who's staring? Are you sure you are just not self-conscious?

Make sure you have someone watch you do exercises the first few times. Apps are great, but they can't help you improve your form.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use the "notes" section in my phone to keep track of things.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a lot more comfortable in the free weight area. In fact it feels pretty bad-*kitten*. The people are very nice and friendly. I do have a little notebook that I carry because I often raise my weight between sets. I also use New Rules of Lifting for Women. There's a great group for it!
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was starting out I did go a bit geeky and have a little clipboard with my training log on it, as well as exercises to do. This included the exercises for some pilates I was doing at the time too, which I could never quite remember all of them, it worked pretty well. I prefer low tech in the gym, just incase, but some small printouts in a notebook wouldn't be out of place. Once you get into the rythmn of your routine you won't really need to consult it. Good luck.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You could start with just a few exercises that will be really easy to remember after a couple times....

Squats, bench press, dead lifts and barbell rows, lat pull downs..... google those ones and study the technique, they cover every muscle in your body... then divide them up for 2-3 days of weights or however many days you can lift in one week with rest days inbetween