Question to all. % of body weight lift capacity.

Options
What percentage of your body weight can you lift with your upper body via bench press? ( I realize that legs are minimum 100%)

I'm still working on my upper body and while I'm losing weight I'm at about 60%.

For those who are now into gaining muscle tissue. Where are you? I'd like to create a goal to shoot for.

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    What percentage of your body weight can you lift with your upper body via bench press? ( I realize that legs are minimum 100%)

I'm still working on my upper body and while I'm losing weight I'm at about 60%.

For those who are now into gaining muscle tissue. Where are you? I'd like to create a goal to shoot for.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

60% is not bad...aim for 90% to 100% on bench press. It's one of the easiest to increase, just keep adding small %'s each week

also, are you calculating 60% as a full set, or 60% as your one rep max?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    80%

I really really want 100% (I've wanted that for ages) I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer though as I'm cutting, and most of my strength gains come now when I bulk.

When I was losing weight the first time round though, I made strength gains still very regularly. I think it depends on how new you are to lifting. I personally think 1x body weight is a good goal for a guy to have.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Full set.

CW 207 lbs.

Bench 55 lb bar + 2 x 35 lbs = 125 lbs.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Full set.

CW 207 lbs.

the numbers in the link I gave are for a one rep max, so 60% for a full set (assuming around 8 reps?) is pretty good.

nit picking here, but are you sure the bar is 55lbs? This is not a standard a normal weight for a bar in a gym.
    Keep it up, like I said, small % increases and you'll be at 100% in no time.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Full set.

CW 207 lbs.

the numbers in the link I gave are for a one rep max, so 60% for a full set (assuming around 8 reps?) is pretty good.

nit picking here, but are you sure the bar is 55lbs? This is not a standard a normal weight for a bar in a gym.
    Keep it up, like I said, small % increases and you'll be at 100% in no time.
    I thought 55 was a standard. I think I'll double check with the trainers. Thanks for that info.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I thought 55 was a standard. I think I'll double check with the trainers. Thanks for that info.

45# is standard for an olympic barbell.