Protein shakes?

Options
I am not the kind of person to drink my calories, but I have been hearing a lot about protein shakes. I tend to have Cheerios for breakfast, so I know I should have more protein. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for? I want something that doesn't taste bad or I won't stick with it.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    FYI- if you search this topic you will find TONS of advice. good luck!
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just want to make sure I try a good one!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use Nectar. Lots of options and flavors. I use it mixed with water, in the blender with yogurt and fruit, mixed in my yogurt. Lots of options.
  • schmidtka70
    Options
    Depends if you want to make your own or grab something quick.

Making my own...I like a scoop of EAS Vanilla Whey protein (130 cal, 26g protein), a cup of unsweetened almond milk (40 cal) and a tablespoon of peanut butter powder (PB2 22.5 cal)...sometimes I add a bannana.

For quick ready to drink...I like Chocolate Premier Protein shakes (160 cal, 30g protein)...Sam's Club has great prices.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is what I use, lots of good flavors.

http://www.wheygoldstandard.com/100wheyfamily/

At first I used 2% milk. Wanting to "trim around the edges", I switched to water but found it too "thin" for my liking, so now I use it with unsweetened, unflavored almond milk (35 Cals/serving).
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Like the GNC Whey Shakes, I sometimes mix flavors to keep it interesting.

If I use it for meal replacement I use ALmond or 1% milk, if after workout I use water.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    adding some frozen banana plus other various other frozen fruit will thicken it up and sweeten the taste (plus you get a serving of fruit first thing - i see people throwing in handfuls of spinach, too, supposedly you can't taste it). i like adding a tablespoon of peanut butter and cocoa powder to mine, although that's probably not the best nutritional choice. delicious, though!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I simply buy EAS advantage fudge dflavored, already made...it can be pricey tho, they r great for me, no nasty taste. Sams club has best deal. But i read so much about necter on here. Its making me interested. I just recently started using them too. Usually after a work out, i drink my shake.
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    Depends if you want to make your own or grab something quick.

Making my own...I like a scoop of EAS Vanilla Whey protein (130 cal, 26g protein), a cup of unsweetened almond milk (40 cal) and a tablespoon of peanut butter powder (PB2 22.5 cal)...sometimes I add a bannana.

For quick ready to drink...I like Chocolate Premier Protein shakes (160 cal, 30g protein)...Sam's Club has great prices.

^^This
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    IMO, protein shakes are a good supplement but not meal replacements, mainly beause your brain has a harder time registering what you drink as a "meal." A PS with veggies and complex carbs would be a decent lunch, and PS are valuable before & after a weight training workout to supply vital nutrients fast. I like AdvantEdge Carb Control in either milk or dark chocolate. And if you freeze a bannana, throw one of these cold PS in the blender with the frozen banana and some ice cubes for a deeeelicious shake!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    10 oz black coffee + 3/4 cup almond milk (which is about 35 calories for 8 oz if you buy the unsweetened kind that Blue Diamond makes) + Optimum Nutrition Hydrolized Whey Protein (vanilla or chocolate).
  • mbrent32
    Options
    I buy the GNC Total Lean 25 already mixed. I have a busy schedule and work on the road a lot so that is easiest for me. They taste pretty good and they are only 170 calories with 25 grams of protein 2 grams of sugar and 6 grams of carbs. I have one for breakfast everyday, and also have one as a mid morning snack or post workout drink. They come in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That sounds good to me!

10 oz black coffee + 3/4 cup almond milk (which is about 35 calories for 8 oz if you buy the unsweetened kind that Blue Diamond makes) + Optimum Nutrition Hydrolized Whey Protein (vanilla or chocolate).
    [/quote]