Differences in burned calories on MFP

Options
Why is it sometimes I log in and I put in my "stationary bike light effort" and I put in 30 minutes and it says I burned 281 calories and then another time I will put in the same exercise and the same amount of time and it says I burned 255 in calories and its during the same week where I haven't had a weight change yet? I don't get it. :huh:

Replies

• emmamcblain
    Options
    You might be entering a different type of effort level or something (light, moderate, yada yada).

Or maybe you chose a different mode? Like sometimes I accidently enter "cycling" instead of "stationary bike" because it's what's saved in my Recent exercises.

I'm not entirely sure though, I'm not very expert in these things. :')
  • lindseykp
    Options
    The only true way to know how many calories you burn is to use a heart rate monitor. I bought one last week and I LOVE it. I can do the same work out but burn different calories depending on if my kids are interrupting me or not. I love knowing exactly how many calories I burn with each workout!
  • Janice032557
    Janice032557 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Getting an HRM is the best thing I have done. No matter what you look at (calorie burning calculators, monitors on the machines you use, etc) you can't seem to come up with an accurate/believable heart rate. No matter what exercise I do, I use my HRM. I feel my heart rate numbers are more consistant now. I've had mine for 2 weeks and find it an invaluable tool.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: not only does a heart rate monitor give me accurate readings of calories burned, it encourages me to push harder to raise my heart rate and burn more calories......I urge you to get one.......do some research and ask questions so you get one that is right for you
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    I would have to agree on a HRM - You'll be amazed at the calorie burn difference when you are actually using one compared to MFP numbers (they are generalized by weight, height etc.), where the HRM is connected right to YOU :blushing: !! I bought a Polar FT4 and LOVE it - got it on bodytronics.com for $58.79 with promo code POPO - best price aroun:love: d!!
  • Laura_amie
    Laura_amie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 yeasterday.. I'm in love already!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i usually enter the calorie readout on the bike, since it takes my weight into account. however, as some have said before, heart rate monitor is a good way to get a more accurate figure.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Love my HRM. Yesterday I spent 65 minutes on the elliptical. The machine said I burned 1021 calories; my HRM said I burned 949. It's these kind of differences that add up over the long haul. Granted, I would have LOVED to say I burned 1021 calories.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I believe the HRM is measuring only the training calories based on your heart rate. I have to question if it is measuring the energy being expended, the exertion being spent for the exercise, running vs. walking, etc. In any event, it is a guide on how you are performing, are you in the zone or not in the zone. The most fat is burned when you are below the zone, exercising for an extended period of time, 1 hour to 2 or 3 hours would have a greater impact on your weight loss rather than high energy for 10 or 20 minutes. Might still be the same calories expended, but what matters is the physiology of how your body is accessing the energy, is it from stored energy in fat tissue or is it from the destruction of muscle tissue or other easily broken down tissue to meet the extreme momentary need of energy. The body doesn't know the purpose of the extreme energy demand, just that it needs to make the energy available and it robs from Peter to pay Paul.

Oh, one other thing, Keep Exercising.