Starter ideas?

Options
Hi,

This Friday is my husbands 27th birthday and I'm cooking dinner for four.

I have a beautiful main and dessert but I am struggling to think of a starter. I do have a back up plan for a starter however.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do? It cannot have any fish, nor can it be soup.

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    are we thinking healthy in particular? or just starters in general?
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I would prefer healthy but as it is a birthday, I'm not going to stress over things too much. The main is healthy and dessert isn't so it makes no odds really. Lol.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What is your main and dessert?
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Main is Angus Beef Olives with Champ and Seasonal Steamed Vegetables.
    Dessert is (his favourite) Sticky Toffee Pudding with Homemade Custard.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Something that DW & I have been meaning to try is Mozzarella sticks using String Cheese and Eggroll wrappers. You cut the string cheeses in half, wrap them and bake them. You can dip them in pretty much whatever you like and eat.
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    I always do Rocket Salad with bacon, Pine nuts and balsamic vinegar - goes down a treat :-)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    chopped salad… just chopping all the vegetables up into small similar-size pieces gives the salad a more interesting texture, I think. I just don't do it all the time because it takes more time to chop everything like that! :)

How about a soup? Tomato basil or something like that? Unfortunately, I don't like tomato soup… wish I did though because it can be flavorful and low-cal! Good if it's cold out, too.

For not-as-healthy-but-you-can-do-a-lighter-recipe spinach-artichoke dip. Always a fav around here. :D

Good luck and happy birthday to him!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a little late to add now, but I know there are some delicious broccoli dishes

bake panko bread crumbs for 5 minutes at 400, then mix in chopped broccoli, seasonings of your choice (simple sea salt, cracked pepper and olive oil are awesome, IMO), bake that for about 10 minutes on 350, then add cheese (parmesan, romano, hard cheeses in general) and devour