Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
Does anyone else have this problem when it comes to food...

I live with my grandmother, who is a very poor eater, she doesn't like certain things and wont eat healthy things and wants to buy the cheapest fattiest foods.

I do not have the money to buy my own food or I would but if I point out something healthy it's either

a) too expensive
b) she doesn't like it therefor wont buy and/or eat it

she wants me to lose weight but wont help me with the food process so therefor I have to stick with certain things that may not be the healthiest but are healthier than the alternative. I'm still eating processed foods like hot pockets and all that and although i'm loosing a few pounds i know it would be more if i ate better

so i guess my question is does anyone else have this problem when it comes to shopping for healthy food and how do you overcome it??

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm super broke...my job took a huge hit this year, so eating healthy can be hard.

I over came it by just making it a priority.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Your toughest problem with the processed foods is probably going to be the sodium content. You might be able to find certain brands that don't cost more but have lower sodium that your grandmother might agree to buying?

But if you maintain a calorie deficit you will still lose weight, whether you are eating all processed foods or all raw foods. Though you might not be as healthy on an all processed food diet.

You could also crunch the numbers yourself and prove to your grandma that because you are eating less, she'd still be spending the same amount of money even thought the products were a bit pricier. I actually found my grocery bill has gone down since I started watching what I eat more.
  • kaydeexoxo
    kaydeexoxo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your toughest problem with the processed foods is probably going to be the sodium content. You might be able to find certain brands that don't cost more but have lower sodium that your grandmother might agree to buying?

But if you maintain a calorie deficit you will still lose weight, whether you are eating all processed foods or all raw foods. Though you might not be as healthy on an all processed food diet.

You could also crunch the numbers yourself and prove to your grandma that because you are eating less, she'd still be spending the same amount of money even thought the products were a bit pricier. I actually found my grocery bill has gone down since I started watching what I eat more.

ha that would work, crunching the numbers i mean, except even if it's cheaper if she refuses to eat it it doesnt come in this house xD it's stupid.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to eat healthier and lower calorie is to buy bags of frozen veggies (about $2 a bag, and you can easily get 4 meals worth of a side dish per bag), either regular or "steam in bag" microwave types. Cook what everyone else is eating, but add your own vegetables.

Hot Pockets certainly aren't a "health food," but comparing one to a Healthy Choice frozen dinner in my freezer side by side... it's no worse for you, and actually lower in calories, carbs and fat, while higher in protein. Not much different in sodium, either. If it's once in a while for lunch, no problem. If it's daily for every meal, you'll want more variety.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If money is the issue, have you thought about getting a part time job so you can buy whatever you want. That would solve the problem for sure.
  • kaydeexoxo
    Options
    If money is the issue, have you thought about getting a part time job so you can buy whatever you want. That would solve the problem for sure.

i have a job, and am lucky to make 30 bucks every 2 weeks. but i have my phone bill to pay and gas money. plus i babysit and i get money through my blog. all of which do not help in the situation because it's not a lot in the end.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    Does your grandma cook the meals? Maybe you could offer a trade....if she will let you buys the ingredients for one or two healthy meals a week you will cook dinner and clean the kitchen. Maybe you could get creative and offer to do other chores your grandma doesn't like to do in exchange for $10-15 dollars worth of healthy groceries. Could you offer to clip coupons and agree that the money you help her save could be spent on food for you? I think you will have to bargin with your grandma to allow you to purchase some additional items for yourself. It doesn't sound as if your grandmother is interested in a healthier lifestyle.

In an ideal world we would all of fresh foods every day for every meal, but sometimes it's just too expensive. I do my very best to keep my household grocery budget at around $100/week. I do understand the frustration at not always have the ability to buy what you want at the store.

My grocery store always have sales on their frozen vegetables and frozen fish. I can purchase low fat, high protein items for 7 meals for around $8-10 dollars. If there are no sales on fresh meat or the veggies I like are out of season, I buy frozen. I might buy a bag a frozen chicken breast or tilapia and I just get creative with how I cook them.
  • kaydeexoxo
    Options
    Does your grandma cook the meals? Maybe you could offer a trade....if she will let you buys the ingredients for one or two healthy meals a week you will cook dinner and clean the kitchen. Maybe you could get creative and offer to do other chores your grandma doesn't like to do in exchange for $10-15 dollars worth of healthy groceries. Could you offer to clip coupons and agree that the money you help her save could be spent on food for you? I think you will have to bargin with your grandma to allow you to purchase some additional items for yourself. It doesn't sound as if your grandmother is interested in a healthier lifestyle.

In an ideal world we would all of fresh foods every day for every meal, but sometimes it's just too expensive. I do my very best to keep my household grocery budget at around $100/week. I do understand the frustration at not always have the ability to buy what you want at the store.

My grocery store always have sales on their frozen vegetables and frozen fish. I can purchase low fat, high protein items for 7 meals for around $8-10 dollars. If there are no sales on fresh meat or the veggies I like are out of season, I buy frozen. I might buy a bag a frozen chicken breast or tilapia and I just get creative with how I cook them.

i do all the cooking xD like she'd ever pick up a pan. and she's really not, she has **** ton of health problems but wont eat healthier to fix them. but thanks for all the ideas
  • abibearxo
    Options
    buying a few carrots, spinach, lettuce etc.. only costs about $2? so ask her when you go shopping again if you could just get like 2 carrots and lettuce for yourself and add it to the meal your nan buys and leave out the carbs that are in the meal and put those few carrots you bought in instead, that makes a lot of a difference!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you do all the cooking, and she does all the complaining... then I think you have to treat her like a finicky child (which she's acting like), and tell her, "This is what we're having. If you don't like it, make your own."
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    [/quote]

i do all the cooking xD like she'd ever pick up a pan. and she's really not, she has **** ton of health problems but wont eat healthier to fix them. but thanks for all the ideas
    [/quote]

HMMM this is tough. Sounds like she a bit of a control freak.

OK here my next best...if you do the shopping without her, just buy her cheaper stuff and sneak a few of your foods in. If you have to hide them, most fruits and veggies can be stored at room temp.

Next best idea

http://www.oneharvest.com/

I'm not sure where you live, but this service is available in the South. It's not a food bank and is not welfare. You don't have to meet income requirements or fill out an application. Any one can use it. You order whatever package you want and pay the set price. I do this this because our budget is tight and we are working so hard to eliminate all of our debt. You can get huge amounts of food for a very reasonable price. There is some processed food, but everything I've every received has been good quality.
    If this specific plan is not in you area, I'm sure there are similar services all over the country. If you did this, a $35.00 package would give you a month of dinners.

Next:
    any family members than can deal with granny??? Maybe if you can get one older person on your side, they could help pressure her into having some common sense.

OK so now I'm invested in a solution for you :smile: I'll keep thinking of some ideas to get around junk food granny
  • kaydeexoxo
    Options
    If you do all the cooking, and she does all the complaining... then I think you have to treat her like a finicky child (which she's acting like), and tell her, "This is what we're having. If you don't like it, make your own."

I could but if it's her buying the food I have no say really. besides if i dont cook she wont eat and with her health problems she needs to eat :/ its like a lose lose situation
  • kaydeexoxo
    Options

[/quote]

HMMM this is tough. Sounds like she a bit of a control freak.

OK here my next best...if you do the shopping without her, just buy her cheaper stuff and sneak a few of your foods in. If you have to hide them, most fruits and veggies can be stored at room temp.

Next best idea

http://www.oneharvest.com/

I'm not sure where you live, but this service is available in the South. It's not a food bank and is not welfare. You don't have to meet income requirements or fill out an application. Any one can use it. You order whatever package you want and pay the set price. I do this this because our budget is tight and we are working so hard to eliminate all of our debt. You can get huge amounts of food for a very reasonable price. There is some processed food, but everything I've every received has been good quality.
    If this specific plan is not in you area, I'm sure there are similar services all over the country. If you did this, a $35.00 package would give you a month of dinners.

Next:
    any family members than can deal with granny??? Maybe if you can get one older person on your side, they could help pressure her into having some common sense.

OK so now I'm invested in a solution for you :smile: I'll keep thinking of some ideas to get around junk food granny
    [/quote]

haha well thank you. i'll look into that website. and i never shop without her (i don't drive haha, 20 years old and i dont drive i know i know) and as for family members... it's just me and her. so that wont do