I can't diet!

Options
I can excercise, but I"m the worst dieter ever! I have no self control whatsoever and I eat junk food and drink pop way too much. Since I got my teeth pulled and have full dentures 2 years ago, I have stuck to soft food like cheese puffs, hohos, potatoes, pasta, etc. How do I get started in a way that will stick? Thanks!

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Are you not supposed to chew with dentures?
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You have to want it more than you want the ho-ho's.

There will always be a million excuses NOT to change. You have to reach the point where you are sick enough of being unhealthy that you would rather be healthy than buy cheese puffs.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you can do this, don't think of it as "Dieting" ...that's the first mistake that people make.

Make substitutions!!

Ideas:

-popcorn instead of cheetos
    -tea instead of pop
    -ww pasta instead of white pasta (pasta is NOT bad)
    -whole grain/all natural muffins instead of hohos (portion sized and homemade, you can even just buy fiber one muffin mix)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Fixodent?
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started and to stick with it is you have to want to stick with it more that you want to eat cheese puffs. In the end its really only you who can make the changes for yourself
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Check out the Dukan diet.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have any limitation about the types of food you can eat with dentures. If you have issues then they don't fit properly and you need to talk to your dentist. I know plenty of people with upper and lower dentures that eat anything they want including hard and cruncy stuff.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to exclude all of the junk right away, why don't you focus on trying to include some healthier foods each time you eat.

So, if you normally only drink soda with a meal, try drinking soda and water. Every time you want a sip of soda, take a sip of water first.

Try to incorporate a fruit or vegetable each time you eat. So, if you normally eat potato chips as a snack, try eating a slightly smaller portion of chips followed by a few carrot sticks. The veggies will help get the junk food taste out of your mouth so you don't keep thinking about more potato chips.

If you can't bite into an apple, cut it into wedges!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i agree with love4fitness

Don't call it "Dieting" or "diet". I've said it once and i'll say it again. Diets are Temporary!! I'm choosing to live a healthier lifestyle.

My second motto is "everything in moderation" I know you said you lack self-control and that can be a hard task to tackle. But just remember it's okay to have a cookie or a handful of chips, it won't kill you.

Start of easy by making healthy dinners and lunches. Lean proteins with lots of veggies and whole grains.

My go to snacks are carrots and hummus and apples and peanut butter.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I can't diet either. Instead I started eating healthier and exercising more. I changed my lifestyle, diets don't work. I haven't eaten at a fast food place in years. Love McDonald's coffee and have a cup with their apple's if I'm with the grand's.

Dieting sounds so restricting. Can't do it either.:cry:
  • mamalade1
    Options
    I have that problem too. What I've found, for me, is that if I don't eat the junk for a couple of weeks, it no longer tastes good. In order to avoid temptation, I get rid of all the junk in the house and make an agreement with myself that if I desperately want some, I have to walk to the store to get it. It's surprising, given that cost, how often I don't *really* want the junk.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You have to want it more than you want the ho-ho's.

There will always be a million excuses NOT to change. You have to reach the point where you are sick enough of being unhealthy that you would rather be healthy than buy cheese puffs.

This.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a partial which is way trickier than full dentures and I eats anything. If I can't bite it direct (think crisp apple) I slice and eat. If you can nom pretty much anything go see your dentist cause he sucks. If you have to wait to get them fixed then fixodent or some of the temporary liners should get you a better fit.
    Until then you can always steam veggies to soften them up (bowl, tablespoon of water, plastic wrap, cover microwave for 2 minutes) that will make them plenty soft. If it is feeling full, then check out my diary, I eat a lot and stay under on the calories and I am never really hungry and if I am I have some food, lol. I plan my day out put my food in the diary and if I don't eat a planned snack I subtract it when I get home.
    So, as my team leader often says #NoExcusesLetsGo
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If babies can eat healthy diets on soft food, so can you! You can make fruit smoothies in blender, and vegetable and bean soups with a regular blender or an immersion blender. Nut butters, vegetable and olive oil based spreads (baba ganuoush, hummus) with soft whole wheat breads or pastas, whole grit polenta, etc. There are tons of things you can eat if you are creative.
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The issues with the dentures is that the surgery plan still includes 13 more surgeries so i can wear them when I have to, but not to eat, drink, sleep, or anytime I'm not out in public really. I'm supposed to wear them as little as possible. So i can't eat at all with them in, but when they arent in, I have to eat the softest foods I can:(
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Everyone in this thread is on point, for sure. Remember you aren't 'dieting,' you're committing to a lifestyle change. A 'diet,' in the literal sense, is what your body consumes on a regular basis; diet does not mean something you do for a while until you change your mind/plans, etc.
  • kealambert
    Options
    look up a health food/supplement store in your area, and see if they have any suggestions for meal supplements like shakes that you can try. There are many out there (my mom does RVL by Monavie) that are very filling, tasty and very healthy.

here's a site that seems pretty reputable with some reviews http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/monavie-shakes-8-3-out-of-10/?gclid=CMKuvN2avK4CFYhrKgodqmkxIQ
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I will check that out! Thank you!
  • TabbyKatzzz
    Options
    If you need soft healthy foods, try oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt. You can also eat Baked cheese puffs for a snack sometimes. You can also blend fruits (and vegis if you like) into smoothies to make them easier to eat.

I agree with other posters...this isn't a diet, just make better choices, and log everything to keep track of calories. You need to find foods that are satisfying to you personally. What works for one person, won't always work for another. You know yourself, any improvement you can make every day, is a step in the right direction. Little changes add up!
  • kealambert
    Options
    absolutely, and there are many other plans that you can look into like juicing, which includes fruits, veggies, protein powder, etc