Shopping list for aspiring Vegan?

Options
I just had a duck egg from the farmer's market. I don't know why, but it grossed me out so much that I don't think I'll be able to eat eggs, like, ever again. Which made me think: How about I go clean by the time my birthday comes around this week? I've been trying to cut out all animal products from my diet, anyway, but it has been hard because I'm so used to buying fish and dairy products (I've been a Pescatarian for most of my life. No meat for 30 years). Vegans, what are the staples on your shopping list? Many thanks for sharing.

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I found this recently, so here's my belated list:

fresh seasonal fruits and veggies
    nut butters
    sprouted wheat bread
    tofu (silken and extra firm)
    unsweetened soy milk
    dried beans and lentils
    balsamic vinegar
    faux meats--Boca, Field Roast, Yves & Gardein
    Earth Balance vegan 'butter'
    oatmeal
    flaxseed
    low-sodium vegetarian bouillon cubes
    Muir Glen salt-free diced tomatoes
    organic olive oil
    Luna nutrition bars (Chocolate dipped coconut and lemon are my fave)
    unsweetened cocoa powder
    Kal stevia powder
    spices
    nutritional yeast flakes
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Nuts, coconut, almond, hemp, or soy milk, greens.

Silken tofu is good for smoothies and pudding, the extra firm for cooking (freezing it gives it a better texture)

Quinoa, bean, coconut oil, olive oil

And get some nutritional yeast and kale and make kale chips! Get the kale a little wet with some olive oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and red pepper flakes and bake till crisp
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great list forming here! I'd add EnerG Egg Replacer (for easy baking) and lots of grains like rice, barley, wheat berries, (LOVE Quinoa!) etc! TVP is definitely a staple at our house!! Use it to make burgers and "ground meat" for all recipes. And, I always pack some Daiya.... ;)

Look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!!!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    bump
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    talk with a nutritionist. get some help to make sure you dont lose important nutrients. And make sure you're doing it for YOUR reasons, not because it's trendy or because someone else wants you to. pescaterian (or how ever it's spelled) is supposed to be one of the healthiest ways to eat out there.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for jumpstarting the list, VoV, and thanks for all other contributions! This is extremely useful. There are definitely some staples on there I have never considered (nutrional yeast flakes, hemp). I will compile and make a blog post at some point.