What to do with too many calories?

Options
Hey everyone. I know this has been a topic before, but I'm a little lost at what I should do. I have recently started Zumba, and although I know I need to get a heart monitor to be a lot more specific, I am burning a lot of calories (at least 600) since it's a 75-90 minute class. I just started doing it, and I was really watching what I ate today (especially after yesterday's LUNCH portion of my Cheesecake Factory meal was over 1,200 calories...not including bread).

However, here it is, 10pm, and I have over 800 calories left! I haven't starved myself or anything, been eating all day, and will likely have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich, but that still leaves me with over 700 calories. What should I do?

Replies

• neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I know this has been a topic before, but I'm a little lost at what I should do. I have recently started Zumba, and although I know I need to get a heart monitor to be a lot more specific, I am burning a lot of calories (at least 600) since it's a 75-90 minute class. I just started doing it, and I was really watching what I ate today (especially after yesterday's LUNCH portion of my Cheesecake Factory meal was over 1,200 calories...not including bread).

However, here it is, 10pm, and I have over 800 calories left! I haven't starved myself or anything, been eating all day, and will likely have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich, but that still leaves me with over 700 calories. What should I do?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    thats your call- I always have calories left over but I am also eating 6 times a day really healthy protein and complex carbs and I workout really hard I am never hungry and yet I always have calories left- Also I don't eat my exercise calories I have been directed not too- So to each is own
  • ktndj82104
    Options
    i say as long as u ate over 1200 cal. for today have that ice cream and dont stress.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt force food when I am not hungry ..I dont eat my excercise calories either I stick to a set amount per day....if you are doing good by eating them then you prob need ot work on pacing your meals..perhaps make that your next goal ..figuring out when and how to eat your calories perday ..before it gets too late...Remember to try to eat quality calories especially when dipping into those excercise calories
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you have so many calories and are working so hard why on earth would you eat skinny cow?

eat the real thing....it is better for you

skinny cow is crap and hurts your body...

you dont need to save calories

you need good quality calories

I dont get why you guys eat that crap when you dont even need to
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    If you can't pronounce all the ingredients or you don't know what it is you shouldn't be eating it.

If you want something have a protein shake- its late anyway really no need to eat late at night
  • TubaGirl
    TubaGirl Posts: 58
    Options
    if you have so many calories and are working so hard why on earth would you eat skinny cow?

I think skinny cow is great. I eat it all the time. Less calories too. It tastes great and better for you. Don't you want stuff what tastes good and be better for you?
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    If you're actually hungry, EAT! If you aren't really starving or anything but you also aren't over 1200 net calories for the day (calories consumed - calories burned > 1200) then you need to get in some more fuel for your body. Try a spoonful of peanut butter, a handful of nuts, a glass of orange juice with breakfast or even some fresh fruit. Throw in a protein-type shake a few hours before your workout but make sure that it's actually HEALTHY. Just because it says it is, doesn't mean it really is! :laugh:

If you aren't hungry and you're over your 1200 net calories for the day, I say don't force it. Take a look at where you're eating your calories throughout the day, though. If you have like 200 in the morning and 200 at lunch and then you're eating 800 at dinner, try to make them a bit more equal. I generally plan my day from morning until night the evening before so I don't run into a severe calorie problem at the end of the day but if I work out more than I expected and I have a lot of calories left, I'll have some cheese and crackers and like you said, a skinny cow. YUM!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options

I agree with the first statement but I "eat that crap" because I honestly like it. I guess I'm just weird.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I think skinny cow is great. I eat it all the time. Less calories too. It tastes great and better for you. Don't you want stuff what tastes good and be better for you?

it isnt better for you
    it has less calories
    but it defintely is not good for you to eat chemicals
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I agree with the first statement but I "eat that crap" because I honestly like it. I guess I'm just weird.

you are not weird
    you are like a ton of people here
    you just dont really care what you are putting in your body
  • mrsyac2
    Options

I read your profile and saw that you have PCOS- a good meal plan for you would be low glycemic foods- Eat complex carbs with 4oz of protein/forms of protein ease back on dairy or completely cut it out (contains alot of sugar) nix the bread- eat brown rice vegetables and low glycemic foods-

My friend has PCOS and I told her about this diet and she tried it while working out and dropped 10lbs

It is very healthy for you as well - and you can stick to it forever you just have to teach yourself to eat healthier
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My "go to" food for extra calories is a PB&J. BUT, make sure its on whole wheat or 12 grain bread and measure the peanut butter and measure the jelly. Its about 200 calories and packed with protein and "good" fats.
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I read your profile and saw that you have PCOS- a good meal plan for you would be low glycemic foods- Eat complex carbs with 4oz of protein/forms of protein ease back on dairy or completely cut it out (contains alot of sugar) nix the bread- eat brown rice vegetables and low glycemic foods-

My friend has PCOS and I told her about this diet and she tried it while working out and dropped 10lbs

It is very healthy for you as well - and you can stick to it forever you just have to teach yourself to eat healthier
    [/quote]

Hey, thanks for all the answers out there. With regard to the PCOS, I have had it for some time and have made an effort to eat complex carbs and cut back on other carbs, but we all have our indulgences. For me, if I don't have dairy, I don't lose weight, I feel sick, and I don't have as much energy. Everyone is different I guess. I've lost a lot of the weight I gained from the PCOS and trying to stay healthy.

I guess I didn't plan out my food well enough. I consumed all of my net calories for the day and wasn't thinking I was going to Zumba last night and did (oops) so I was under 1200 net calories afterwards, hence the post. Peanut butter is probably a good choice, and just for Dave to know, I did have REAL ice cream instead since I only have the Skinny Cow stuff when I am very low on calories, but want something really sweet. Thanks to everyone :flowerforyou: