Breakfast. Should it really be the biggest meal of the day?

Options
Should it really be the biggest meal of the day? About how many calories should it be?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't, but I see the value in it.

If I eat a big, cooked breakfast, I'm full for the day. I don't end up needing to snack, and small portions for lunch and dinner are no problem. But, a cooked breakfast every day isn't sustainable for health. I've tried so many other options for big breakfasts that keep me full, and discovered that the only breakfast that works for me is cereal.

I have a 60g bowl of cereal to start me off, and it doesn't stop me being hungry all the way until lunchtime but it removes my NEED to snack. I can put off eating until lunch unless I have snacks I have to eat.

Eggs help a lot, I think, but I don't have time to cook eggs every morning. I never seem to get hungry after I've eaten eggs in the morning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Should it really be the biggest meal of the day? About how many calories should it be?

Personal preference, you don't even have to eat breakfast if you don't want to
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. Makes me feel sluggish and lethargic. Id rather save the cals for late night, when i want a snack.

85% of my cals are after 11pm, with 300 right before bed every night.

Have i lost fat, and am i now feeling stronger, healthier, fitter than ever? God yes.
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always feel best with the most energy throughout the day if breakfast is my biggest meal. It doesn't have to be a big ordeal I don't think. Around 8AM I like to eat a bowl of oatmeal with light soymilk and berries, coffee, a greek yogurt and a banana, which comes to about 400ish calories, which to me is a lot. Although this has its downsides, because I get kind of snacky at night, and have much fewer calories to spend.

Personally, I wouldn't skip it entirely. My nutrition professor says that sleeping for 6-8 hours and then going several hours before you eat after waking up not only crashes your metabolism, but you are burning not just fat, but muscles from all over your body, including your heart. I might be regurgitating that incorrectly, but that is what I understood.