Aspartame????

Options

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is among the most thoroughly vetted substances on earth.

http://www.dieteticai.ufba.br/Temas/ACUCARES/ASPARTAME.pdf

the "poison" claims made by bloggers are not supported by the evidence.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter to me personally if it has been proven to be harmful or not - either way it's perfectly clear that it's not something we need to add to be healthy, so why consume it then? It's the kind of thing I stay away from when I can because though it may or may not be harmful it's not useful either.
  • shellybean826
    Options
    Depends on how many gallons of diet soda you can down in a day.

It is, however, a migraine trigger for me.

THIS !!! ..I can actually tell when something has it ..before checking the ingredients which i never do ...i want something i grab it and buy it ..lol ..then i drink some ...(diet vernors, diet 7-up, and so on) and within minutes ..i say man i have a headache ....my hubby always says ...did that have aspartame ??? and sure enough ..it does every time ...

oh and also ..to let you know not all sweeteners cause me to have headaches ...i can have sucralose ....and also stevia ..which is what i use now instead ..in EVERYTHING lolol ..i use the brand truvia ..but if im cooking with it ..i use stevia in the raw ..its very good ...
  • BOATS52
    Options
    I stay away from Aspartame causes headaches and other withdrawl sysmptoms chills sweats cannot sleep no thanx not for me a Lab does not need to tell me what i know first hand........Bad stufff !:explode:
  • kaweenf
    kaweenf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I was thinking about getting pregnant I went to a naturopath to go over my diet.. She only told me to cut out anything aspertame, splenda , etc since it can cause birth defects in babies... So I gave it up, and noticed my 5x a week headaches went down to ZERO! Just makes you wonder what that stuff is doing to you

Ah naturopaths, bastions of useless "knowledge", false "science", and the ability to "cure" everything with water... oh, and snake oil
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter to me personally if it has been proven to be harmful or not - either way it's perfectly clear that it's not something we need to add to be healthy, so why consume it then?

We eat many things we don't NEED to add to be healthy. Is that all you eat for? Wow....

I like eating. I enjoy it. I enjoy the tastes. Sadly, some of those things have a high calorie content. Here we can replace those things with something safe, to me tastes pretty much the same, and has a fraction of the calories! Win-Win tbh.

If i didn't eat it, id be on like 500 cals a day more, and wouldn't have lost this weight, and would therefore be more UNhealthy. THAT's why.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is made by growing ecoli in controlled environments then feeding it toxic waste. Aspartame is what they poop out. Seriously.

Don't put this in your body. The only people that are super in favor of its production belong to the aspartame industry. They are also responsible for the tests that make it seem as though it is totally safe.

One more interesting fact...the guy who was pushing it like there was no tomorrow back in the day was none other than...Donald Rumsfeld. I'm sure that guy would NEVER do anything to risk human life. Not THAT guy.

Completely agree.... just drink water!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is made by growing ecoli in controlled environments then feeding it toxic waste. Aspartame is what they poop out. Seriously.

Don't put this in your body. The only people that are super in favor of its production belong to the aspartame industry. They are also responsible for the tests that make it seem as though it is totally safe.

One more interesting fact...the guy who was pushing it like there was no tomorrow back in the day was none other than...Donald Rumsfeld. I'm sure that guy would NEVER do anything to risk human life. Not THAT guy.

Completely agree.... just drink water!

No, water tastes like crap, and there's no need to drink pure water at all.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    With everything you can find research to back up the positives and negatives... However, my new years resolution was to drink more water... well that is hard for me so I decided to buy Crystal Light packets to help... I am talking daily.. After my nutrition session I googled side effects and I have a ton of them! I am going off Crystal Light and see if any of my symptoms improve...
    If you are having some kind of symptoms that you think could be caused by aspartame, by all means you should cut it out and see if it helps. You could have a reaction to it. That doesn't make it poison... lots of harmless substances cause allergic reactions in some people.
  • zincalloy
    Options
    Didn't the scientists used to tell people that cigarettes were harmless?

I suppose it depends who's paying for the tests as to what the results may be.

Just saying.

And don't be surprised if a site that promotes dieting has a few people wandering around it's chatsites under the pay of the aspartame industry, there to defend it knowing this subject will arise time and again.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    It's hard to say....research says aspartame is safe but where does the money for the research come from? My own gut feelings are that the less fake stuff you eat, the better of you are. I do know that artificial sweeteners are about a jillion times sweeter than real sugar and the sugar that is naturally found in fruits. What this means is that if you consume a lot of fake sugar, you will never feel like your sweet cravings have been satisfied with a piece of fruit or good old fashioned homemade goodies.

Use your own judgment since the jury is still out but just know that real is real and well, fake isn't real.
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One of the things that has always concerned me about aspartame is how much it can negatively affect a developing fetus. Now in terms of a full grown adult, we'd never be as sensitive to the affects of aspartame like that of an unborn child but all the same long-term, large exposure to it cannot be beneficial. I'd say limited amounts of it should be fine, but like just about anything else moderation is key.

Also after reading some responses on here, I've never been more grateful to be among those who think water tastes awesome.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my reply got stuck up above this, so I reentered it. Those bacteria are the "good" bacteria which populate the gut and keep other "bad" bacteria from growing. Thanks for the info.

It's cool bro. Consequently, it's been shown that for people with messed up stomach flora (I think IBS? though I'm not exactly sure, I'm not that kind of scientist) can essentially be cured by "bombing" their stomachs with the proper flora and allowing it to propagate in that environment, killing off the unwanted bacteria. This essentially comes down to replacing "bad" stomach bacteria with "good" stomach bacteria by ingesting someone else's stomach bacteria (isolated from their excrement).

Yes it sounds gross but studies have shown for it to be very effective and logically, scientifically, it makes a whole lot of sense. We're born "clean" and develop our unique mix of stomach bacteria over time with what we eat and process. It's a thriving ecosystem in our guts.

You are 100% correct. For many gut issues including outbreaks of C. difficile, the remedy is to actually do what is known as fecal transplant (a technique of fecal biotherapy) in which they take literally poop from healthy individuals and use an enema to transfer it into an unhealthy individual with a confirmed case of C. diff, and the good gut flora from the donor will propagate and help to restore the patients normal gut flora and help combat C. difficile

:heart: I think I just found my new career path. Healthy poop donor. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's making poop.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    *kitten* causes blindness too.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try not to consume artificial stuff, but it is so hard anymore.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I've read up on it, and in my own best interest avoid it when possible. Also, the aftertaste is so disgusting, I don't see how people can stand to drink or eat it. Also, I know a lot of people who are sensitive to it, where they get migraines, headaches, mood changes, etc. No thanks. Synthetic food just seems counter productive in trying to achieve a healthy lifestyle. I've eaten my share of junk, trying to cut it out more now, or at least hold out for the junk I really enjoy.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi I dont like artificial products either so if youre looking for something sweet to replace sugar, try Stevia. Its super sweet and I prefered to cut out sugar rather than use this but know lots of people who have made the switch and really love the taste! I thinks its made from a plant, tree or the like, but is natural.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    People get so bent out of shape when you try to tell them that their calorie-free chemical compound lab-created drinks might be bad for them.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of the MFPeeps who claim not to like using/consuming artificial products use cosmetics? Or wear garments made of 100% natural, un-dyed fibres. or use protein shakes, supplements and vitamins?

Funnily enough, most scientists are not out to poison us.

Low-calorie sweeteners are an effective tool in the weightloss arsenal when consumed as part of a calorie-controlled diet. It should be up to personal choice whether or not to consume products made using aspartame, sucralose, stevia or whatever.