Going back to C25K

Options
After graduating on a treadmill with a 5K i decided to look at doing 10K and got up to 7K on the treadmill so decided to try doing the bridge to 10K, but after a 2 week injury set back decided yesterday to try the 10K training outside

could not manage the 10 min run even :sad: the track I'm using has a good incline so was expecting it to be harder but not that hard when i finally reached my turn around point decided to put my C25k app on at W1D2 and managed that even though it was hard and on a downward incline

So i think its back to the drawing board as I've signed up for a 10K charity race in June so back to re do C25K on the track I think

Running outside is so different to a treadmill, but ill keep doing the treadmill on rainy days to keep my fitness up

Replies

• lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are probably already doing this... but if not, try putting your treadmill on and incline of at least 1%. It is still not as hard as running outside, but it does get a little closer to the exertion level.

I started couch to Feb 2011 finished in April 2011. Continued training and did my first half marathon in Nov 2011. I completed all of my training on both the treadmill and outdoors. It can be done and I wish you the best of luck.
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can do it Paul!!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You are probably already doing this... but if not, try putting your treadmill on and incline of at least 1%. It is still not as hard as running outside, but it does get a little closer to the exertion level.

I started couch to Feb 2011 finished in April 2011. Continued training and did my first half marathon in Nov 2011. I completed all of my training on both the treadmill and outdoors. It can be done and I wish you the best of luck.

yea I do put the treadmill on a 1% incline ive even done 2% incline to try and mimic outdoor running, ill keep at it and thanks
  • paulwgun
    Options
    You can do it Paul!!

I hope i can, i just want to be able to jog the whole 10k (without walking) and not come last hopefully :bigsmile:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Outside running is much harder, but when you think you are running at the same pace as your treadmill pace it is actually much faster. It is easier to achieve faster times when outdoor running. Some advice I was given when I started running was just to aim at not stopping - go as slow as you like, as long as you don't stop running. This advice really helped when I started running uphill. I ran so slowly that I felt certain that I could walk faster. At the steepest sections on my early attempts I did have to stop, but as soon as I had caught my breath, I began my slow-run again. Very quickly I was able to run the whole hill (3km, I think).

I don't yet know what the couch to 5K program involves, but I went from couch to 5K. You may not need to start right at the beginning of the program if you can already do 7k on a treadmill.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Keep trying - don't give up!!!

The 10K is a little different than the 5K, in that you do have to build much more endurance. Don't worry about super long mileage runs in the beginning; and certainly do not worry about speed right now. You have to condition your body (legs, lung, and mostly brain) to accept the fact that you are headed toward a 6.2 mile run. Start with running 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week (assuming you can do this based on your ability to sustain 7K on the TM). It shouldn't be fast - it should be at a pace where you can say complete sentences while running. After a couple weeks of building this tolerance, increase your mileage to 3-4 miles 3 or 4 times a week. Do this repeatedly until you can sustain a couple of days at 5+ miles per run (all STILL at a conversational level). Once you have mastered this, start throwing in a couple of longer runs (6-8 miles) and on your shorter runs, step up the speed slightly (pace so that you can say short phrases). After a couple of weeks of this, work in some interval training where you are running 400M or 800M at or faster than your TARGET 10K pace. Walk or Jog in between to bring your heart rate down (this will train your body to accept running at your desired pace and build your speed). During the fast intervals, you should barely be able to say one word in each breath.

This is just a plan to build it up. I have not looked at the bridge to 10K, but I am assuming they recommend you follow a step-up pattern as well, but not sure how aggressive. There is no shame in running at a slower pace on several of your runs. You can incorporate speed as you approach your race date, and if you are looking to be competitive, you can build on the endurance and speed for each scheduled race.

Good luck and don't quit!!!
  • paulwgun
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I sure wont break any records but am determined to be able to finish the 10K ive got a few months to train just hope the weather will stay reasonable for me to do a lot more outside
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I know 100% how you feel!

I completed the C25K, started the Bridge to 10K then took about a 2 week vacay, tried to go back to Bridge to 10K and couldn't do it. That got me mad at myself so I quit for an entire month & I restarted C25K over the weekend.

It sucks having to go back, but it's totally my fault!!

Oh, well.....starting over isn't the end of the world! Maybe it'll even improve my pace! :smile:

Good luck to you on restarting C25K! :flowerforyou: